What's new

Elac Debut 2.0 or Uni-Fi 2.0 bookshelf? (1 Viewer)

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Looking to upgrade my F/C/R bookshelf home theater speakers. Currently using NHT SuperZero with a Denon X3600H. Lots of love here for the Debut 2.0 but don't hear much about the new Uni-Fi series. Any opinions on the cost/value of the Uni-Fi's over the Debut 5 or 6 series? BTW I don't have any way to audition locally or I would.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a difficult question to answer. They're both excellent in the "bang for the buck" category, but is the UniFi twice as good, to reflect being double the price? You have a true three way vs two way, which will have certain benefits, particularly in the high end. The UniFi should be a little more resolving. I expect the bass extension is actually fairly close, despite the difference in woofer size. The UniFi woofer is significantly better to make up the size difference. Either one should be used with a good sub, especially for movies or particularly demanding music.

It really comes down to budget. Do you want to spend the extra $? The UniFi are certainly better, but at the same time I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with the Debuts. The original UniFi was 4 Ohm, which tended to be a deal breaker, but now with them both at 6 Ohm it's a tougher decision.

Taking it from the long term perspective, buying something you can use for years, I'd go with the UniFi, if you can.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
That's the way I'm leaning. I think the three-way would be better for mids and highs, especially listening to 2-channel , and with a sub I'm not real concerned about bass.

Thanks for the response.

daddyora

Agent
Real Name
Coy J. Ramsey
I'm sitting on this wall myself. I have the Debut 5.2 for L/C/R and they are great for music but so-so for movie dialogue (the issue is my ears). The Debut Reference is better but I don't think they are enuf of a step up for the cost. The new 2.0 Uni-Fi is everything that I hoped for in the redesign but just isn't very consumer-tested as yet. Early reviews are pretty good to date however and I don't think that Elac would release a replacement that isn't a bit better than the one that it replaces.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
The Debut 2.0 is pretty popular here (as well as AVS), but you're right there's not a lot of real world reports on the Uni-Fi 2.0 yet. I've read everything I can find (reviewers and users) but that only goes so far. So I ordered the Uni-Fi UB52s and UC52 and they should be here Friday. Looking forward to seeing (hearing) an improvement in my soundstage over the SuperZero. They're great little speakers and I'll continue using 2 for surround but I'm ready for something new.

Good luck on your decision. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the comparison to the Debut 5.2 if you go that route.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...they are great for music but so-so for movie dialogue (the issue is my ears).
There's no reason the Debuts would be insufficient for dialog. That sounds like a calibration issue. The things which will improve it for you are... 1) Increase the volume of the center channel. 2) Increase the levels of the center channel in the 2-4KHz range. 3) Decrease the levels of the surround channels if the dialog is getting drowned out during parts with a lot of surround activity.

daddyora

Agent
Real Name
Coy J. Ramsey
The Debut 2.0 is pretty popular here (as well as AVS), but you're right there's not a lot of real world reports on the Uni-Fi 2.0 yet. I've read everything I can find (reviewers and users) but that only goes so far. So I ordered the Uni-Fi UB52s and UC52 and they should be here Friday. Looking forward to seeing (hearing) an improvement in my soundstage over the SuperZero. They're great little speakers and I'll continue using 2 for surround but I'm ready for something new.

Good luck on your decision. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the comparison to the Debut 5.2 if you go that route.
I think that you made a good choice. The Debut 2.0 is a great speaker but the Uni-fi 2.0 should be a greater speaker (and I believe that it will be). One word of caution, my Debut's were very harsh at first, it took about 40 hrs for them to "break in" (or whatever happened...). Give your new Elac's a little time. Come back and share your experience.

daddyora

Agent
Real Name
Coy J. Ramsey
There's no reason the Debuts would be insufficient for dialog. That sounds like a calibration issue. The things which will improve it for you are... 1) Increase the volume of the center channel. 2) Increase the levels of the center channel in the 2-4KHz range. 3) Decrease the levels of the surround channels if the dialog is getting drowned out during parts with a lot of surround activity.
Thanks John - as I mentioned, the problem is probably my hearing and not the Elac's. Maybe the slightly "laid back" sound of the Elac's doesn't help with my problem. I have made both of the mods that you mentioned (and numerous more). Some helped and with some I couldn't detect any change. I'm going to audition a couple of different center channel speakers and see if there is any discernable difference (to me). Crutchfield and Elac both advised that the 2.0 Uni-Fi isn't likely to make a significant difference with my hearing issue, CF suggested Klipsch RP or JBL and I'm also looking at the SVS Ultra. In the meantime, using subtitles a lot.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Well an interesting thing happened today as I wait for the Uni-Fi 2.0's to arrive. I've been playing around with Audyssey and Audyssey XT32 since I bought the Denon S750H in early January and then upgraded to the X3600H less than 2 weeks ago, running and rerunning it, being totally confused by the crossovers and levels it was setting, but convinced it was smarter than I was and letting it do it's thing from 20Hz to 20KHz. Understand this is a new process for me, and I believed in it too much.

I finally watched enough videos and reviews on using Audyssey, bought the editor and adjusted the filter frequency range to shelf at 500Hz. OMG what a difference. These SuperZero's are singing their song again. Dialog is clear, mids and highs are much brighter and broader, bass is powerful and clean. Now I'm not sure I need new speakers. I'll give them a try, and I'm guessing they'll be that much better than the SuperZero's, but at least now I know not to let Audyssey MultEQ take over where it shouldn't.

You just don't know what you don't know.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
bought the editor and adjusted the filter frequency range to shelf at 500Hz. OMG what a difference.
What do you mean "shelf" at 500Hz?

Yeah, Audyssey is far from perfect. In fact, I don't even use it myself.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
What do you mean "shelf" at 500Hz?

Bad terminology (maybe curtain?), what I meant was I limited the "MultEQ Filter Frequency Range" upper limit in the editor from the default 20KHz down to 500Hz. I'm going to try 300Hz as well, but from what I read the strong suit for Audyssey is bass management and not the rest of the spectrum. My ears seem to agree once I tried that.

I'm basically using Audyssey to set the distances (for time delays), the levels to some extent, and for bass management. I'm setting the crossovers myself (to ~100Hz) and limiting the filter range as described above. I don't have a mic to run REW so I'm just going by my ears. But between the wild crossovers Audyssey was setting (fronts as high as 250Hz sometimes) and level attenuation (what's the point of having it set fronts to -4.0dB, center to -4.5dB, surrounds to -4.0dB?), I think it was having a negative impact on my sound, not a positive one. Granted maybe it's my room or setup (or speakers?) but it just didn't sound right.

As I said, I'm new to this (my previous Yamaha RX-V1300 had no automation for sound EQ) so I'm learning. I'd appreciate any comments on what I'm doing.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
The Elac Uni-Fi 2.0s (UB52 and UC52) arrived late in the week and after just a couple days of listening I'm quite pleased with the difference I can hear, both 2-channel and 5.1. Very happy I went this route and replaced the NHT Super Zero fronts and center. They're great speakers for what they are, but these Elac's are in a different class. Much richer, broader soundstage and clarity.

Now to get a mic and start learning REW so I can get an idea what my room is doing.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Well after 2+ weeks of listening to both 5.1 and 2.1 sources through the X3600H I'm still very happy with the Uni-Fi 2.0s.

Now...I'm feeling the need (want?) to change out the rear surrounds from the Super Zeros to something with a little larger presence and compliment the Uni-Fi L/C/R. I'm considering the Debut 2.0 B5.2s. Any recommendations?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well after 2+ weeks of listening to both 5.1 and 2.1 sources through the X3600H I'm still very happy with the Uni-Fi 2.0s.

Now...I'm feeling the need (want?) to change out the rear surrounds from the Super Zeros to something with a little larger presence and compliment the Uni-Fi L/C/R. I'm considering the Debut 2.0 B5.2s. Any recommendations?
I expect the Super Zeros sound a little thin by comparison. You could do the B5.2, but if space permits the price of the 6.2 isn't much higher. I might be inclined to go with them, but the difference will be minimal for surrounds.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
I expect the Super Zeros sound a little thin by comparison. You could do the B5.2, but if space permits the price of the 6.2 isn't much higher. I might be inclined to go with them, but the difference will be minimal for surrounds.
The price difference doesn't bother me, but like you mention the difference for surrounds didn't seem to be important. The size of either will be a significant increase over the NHTs.

I sit in an arm chair that has "wings" that are 40" high so I need to keep the tweeters above that. I need to get stands that are more substantial and a little worried about the size of the speaker. Not a lot of physical size difference between the B5.2 and the B6.2 but it's a consideration. I'm thinking about the Pangea LS300 which would get the tweeter around 47" high. Any thoughts on the stands and whether or not the size of the Debuts would make a difference?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The price difference doesn't bother me, but like you mention the difference for surrounds didn't seem to be important. The size of either will be a significant increase over the NHTs.

I sit in an arm chair that has "wings" that are 40" high so I need to keep the tweeters above that. I need to get stands that are more substantial and a little worried about the size of the speaker. Not a lot of physical size difference between the B5.2 and the B6.2 but it's a consideration. I'm thinking about the Pangea LS300 which would get the tweeter around 47" high. Any thoughts on the stands and whether or not the size of the Debuts would make a difference?
Can you wall mount them on a shelf? Ideally in a 5.1 system they should be a couple feet above your head and off to the sides if possible, as opposed to behind you. With an Atmos setup, then you want them closer to seated ear level.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
They're off to the side and slightly behind me now, but only a foot or so above ear level. The NHTs have a bracket mount that I had been using that put them near the ceiling but I thought they were too high based on everything I read. Take a look at my plan below and tell me whether they are too far behind and then I'll figure out the height issue.

Current 5.1 layout.PNG

Mike Up

Second Unit

Myself and my brother in law have found Audyssey to compress the audio, make it more harsh and bright. He has a Marantz receiver and I use a Denon receiver. We both leave Audyssey off.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Myself and my brother in law have found Audyssey to compress the audio, make it more harsh and bright. He has a Marantz receiver and I use a Denon receiver. We both leave Audyssey off.
I'm in the process of incorporating REW and a MiniDSP for the subwoofer(s), but I'm not certain I'll ever use room correction or auto EQ any time soon.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
I'm in the process of incorporating REW and a MiniDSP for the subwoofer(s), but I'm not certain I'll ever use room correction or auto EQ any time soon.
So do either of you use it for distance (delays) and trims? I realize the AVR is settings those, not Audyssey, but do you use Audyssey to determine those settings initially and then turn it off? Or leave it on and limit the correction to 200-300Hz and below?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adam991
Recent bookmarks