What's new

NHL Playoffs 2003 (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
While I agree Joseph wasn't in top form in this series, I can't lay the blame solely on him. Of all the series so far, this is the one I followed the closest (maybe because ESPN had every one of the games on TV) and I have to say Joseph was outplayed by Giguere, no doubt, but not to the tune most people think.

For example, game 4. Krug's shot that gave Anaheim a 2-1 lead was a PERFECT SHOT. Placed right at the point where the crossbar meets the goalpost. Joseph's angle was pretty good on that one, but it was just a perfect shot. And what is Joseph suppose to do on Rucchin's game winner? He had no chance on that one.

The Ducks played a more solid defensive series than the Wings. Giguere played great, but he was FUNDAMENTALLY great. I didn't see him stopping too many odd man rushes or break aways. He controlled the rebounds, played his position perfectly, and frankly was very lucky. I counted about 8 goalposts the Wings hit in the series that if they are placed a half inch inside, you never know what the series would have brought.

If the Wings lost every game 6-4, then I can see placing the blame on Joseph, but it's a team game and the fact of the matter is the Wings simply did not score enough goals.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
2.08 is good, but not good enough for this series. the team SHOULD have been able to do more. they shouldnt have to pick up joseph's slack too, their job is hard enough.
Detroit scores six goals in four games, and yet you still place the blame on Cujo? Was he supposed to shutout Anaheim in every game to satisfy you? The Wings scored the most goals in the entire league during the regular season, and yet they could only manage six goals in a series?! It would have taken an incredible goaltending effort to overcome such a complete lack of offensive support.

Joseph is an easy target because he's new to the team and got a big contract. He's not completely blameless (he did let in a few soft goals, but great teams should be able to overcome that). Yzerman, Federov, Shanahan, Hull, Chelios, etc. are fan darlings, so no Wings fan wants to put any blame there. Well, Detroit failed as a team, whether you want to admit it or not. This team may finally beginning to show its age.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Phew! I thought Vancouver was going to have a 3rd period melt down there for a bit. I had my head in my hands most of the period.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Whoo, the canucks got it together... well at least they didn't fall apart...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Yzerman, Federov, Shanahan, Hull, Chelios, etc. are fan darlings, so no Wings fan wants to put any blame there
honestly, most of those guys are johnny-come-latelys in the long term. with the exception of fedorov (you really have to watch that spelling) all those guys are pretty much long term rentals, yzerman not included of course. they arent this fan's favorite at least. i'm going to root for who will get the job done, and lately, its been the young guys, not the old expensive veterans. zetterberg and datsyuk are the future of the club, and they played very well. they were just as capable of getting things done as the overpriced veterans. if you like, i'll put the blame for the forwards directly on yzerman, fedorov, and shanahan. they didnt score enough to overcome cujos horrible play. they SHOULD be able to pick up the slack for a poor goaltending effort, but they ran into a hot goaltender and a hard working ducks team. as much as i would like to see the wings still in it, the ducks deserve to advance. they played well, but i dont know how many other ways i can say it. cujo's 2.08 gaa wasnt good enough to win the series. too bad the wings high priced forwards couldnt pick up more goals to make up for the soft ones joseph let in. when you run into a goalie thats in the groove, sometimes that happens. i wish the ducks best of luck for getting by a good red wings team, but i dont know how much luck they will have against a dallas or a colorado. at least they have real goaltenders.

CJ

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Here we go Flyers. Up 3-2. Don't let me down now. The Leafs have become my most hated team. And Domi wimped out again...oh well.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Here are some numbers from today's Detroit News regarding the Wings 1st round sweep to Anaheim, in comparison to their first round comeback vs. Vancouver last year:
  • 19: The number of goals the Wings scored against Vancouver last year when they won the last four games after trailing two games to none in the first round.
  • 6: The number of goals they scored in losing four straight to Anaheim.
  • 3: How many goals Brett Hull scored in the Wings 6-4 victory that eliminated Vancouver last year.
  • 4: Igor Larionov's points in the final game against Vancouver -- a goal and three assists.
  • 4: Chris Chelios' points in the final game against Vancouver -- all assists.
  • 2: Combined points for Hull, Larionov and Chelios in the Anaheim series -- one assist for Hull and one for Larionov.
  • .862: Dominik Hasek's save percentage in the clinching game against Vancouver -- 29 shots, four goals allowed.
  • .889: Curtis Joseph's save percentage in the clinching game against Anaheim -- 27 shots, three goals allowed.
  • .897: Hasek's save percentage in the Vancouver series.
  • .917: Joseph's save percentage in the Anaheim series.
  • Priceless: The logic, if there is any, that Joseph is the fall guy for the Wings being swept out of the playoffs. They outscored the Canucks last year, and Hasek took over in the last three rounds. Joseph never got the chance to take over.

This article sums things up better than I ever could, so I will leave this as my final statement regarding this series.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

Cujo didn't loose this series, their lack of scoring did. Cujo had better numbers than Hasek did a year ago in the first round. A goalie is helpless without a little support from his teammates.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd agree that the Wings' downfall was lack of scoring. That is the challenge my Canucks have tonight. If they get their scoring up to normal levels, they will be victorious.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
This article sums things up better than I ever could, so I will leave this as my final statement regarding this series.
statement? i thought we were just talking hockey here, nobody is looking to hear what you specifically say, i didnt know you were famous. it sounds like you found some inflated and irrelevant stats, and are letting them speak for you. i think thats best. those stats DO sum it all up better than you ever could.

CJ

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Can we keep on beating the dead horse here about who lost the playoffs? The wings lost and have to retool. End of story. We aren't discussing the differences in amps are we?

The real question here is: "Are the Ducks for real?". We'll find out next round. As for my blues, they are truly in trouble.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well, it's down to game seven. :)

I still have a problem with the bogus officiating that is going on in this series. I have yet to understand what they deem as interference with the number of blatent hooks and picks that don't get called, then the completely arbitrary calls that do get made.

If Vancouver can put another four pucks in the net in the net outing, they will be in good shape for round two. I do like that they are using Brandon Reid a lot, it's great to see a young player doing so well in the series, and getting a chance to play. Hopefully he'll find the back of the net next game, he's sure had some great chances.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Fellow Blues Fans...

Remember the good old days when the Blues had: Brett Hull, Brendan Shannahan, Craig Janney, and Cujo? I do :)

I'm still not over Mike Keenan coming to town and completely dismantling that team.

I was kinda rooting for Detroit this season...simply because they added Cujo to the mix...I'm sorry to see them go out in the first round....Cujo deserves a cup someday...hopefully he can get it before he retires - much like Hasek. maybe next year?

I always root for the Blues though...they are really missing Big Al vs. Vancouver...and it might be too much to ask for them to win game 7 in Vancouver in order to advance to the 2nd round.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't forget about those Traitors. I don't remember Keanan running Hull out of town but I do the others.

Yes I'm a little bitter about Hull leaving. The Blues still have a shot but they may yet again run out of gas in the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks