2003-2004 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew_Sch, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I didn't see any thread about the wonderful sport of hockey, understandable for most Americans, but I would've thought our Canadian friends would have had something to say by now. One of the only things I dislike about living in the good 'ol USA is missing out on the great hockey games that are on CBC.[​IMG]

Anyway, on to some things on my mind about hockey:

-Thrashers: Wow. What a resilient bunch. Everyone seems to think they'll eventually crash under the weight of all their sorrow eventually, but damned if they aren't playing their hearts out and then some right now.

-Ducks: My team. Jiggy is my favorite hockey player, and it was his magnificent run in the playoffs last year that made me fall in love with hockey. I took him with the first overall pick in my fantasy draft this year (amazingly I'm still in first place by a wide margin). Needless to say, the Ducks' start has left me somewhat less than happy. I'm so pissed at the lack of scoring and defense by this team that I've taken to calling all Ducks not named Jiggy the Mighty Fucks
    until further notice.

So let's hear it hockey fans. Hopefully enough people will be interested to keep this thread going for the whole season like the others sports' threads do.

2. kamyiu

kamyiu Stunt Coordinator

i went to the sharks/sens game tonight. the sharks had their chances, but were beaten by a superior team. although they had their chances, san jose didn't score until about halfway through the third. right after that, they gave a penalty shot to marian hossa. nabokov got a piece of the shot between the pads, but there was enough velocity for the puck to carry over the goal line.

i'm worried about the sharks if they're supposed to depend on marleau and sturm to do the bulk of the scoring.

i'll be at the sharks/ducks game on tuesday, hopefully anaheim will continue their shoddy play.

3. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

It's sad Al MacInnis may be done for the season and his career. He had surgery on both eyes yesterday. He could possibly heal w/i 16 weeks, but the risk factor might be too much for him to come back. The Blues are going to treat it as if he is gone for the season.

4. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

LETS GO PENS!! LETS GO PENS!!

sorry had to get that out of the way...

The pens as expected have stuggled early this season. They dont have many proven scores after their first line, just a bunch of young kids who play gritty, and should in time turn into good prospects.

The Pens new goalie though, Marc-Andre Fleury, is the real deal. Kid is only 18, and has played great in the 2 games he has played in. The first game against The Kings he turned away 46 of 48 shots, including a penalty shot, and killed off about 10 minutes of PP time singlehandedly.

Last night he was in net against the Wings, and played admirable making 31 saves and holding down the fort in the 3rd period from a barrage of wings shots to preserve his first nhl win.

So the Pens wont make the playoffs this year more than likely, but they will be fun to watch....

Here's to a great NHL season...

5. Andrew_Sch

Yeah, it's also sad that Al Mac was my fourth-round fantasy pick, and is also one of my favorite players.[​IMG] As a friend of mine remarked, it'll suck if he's not back by the All-Star game to shoot the puck a billion miles per hour. I don't see why this should be his last season though, he can't be a day over 80.[​IMG]

6. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

If Dallas can get past Colorado this year, then they will win the cup.

GO DALLAS STARS!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well vancouver better do well this year as I have three of them in my pool[​IMG] So far though my picks haven't been pulling their weight and its reflected nicely in that I'm in last as of this morning[​IMG]

It will be interesting to see how this year pans out with the lock out looming.

9. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm a Leafs fan but I like the Canucks too they're kind of my fav western team. I like the jerseys with the old time logo they had with the stick and rink.

I've been a misplaced Leafs fan most of my life, living way far from TO, and a lot in the states. I'm back to Canada and live close to TO home crowd and I see them differently now. A lot of high expectations. Sometimes so high I think many fans are naieve. It seems sometimes they forget they're not the only team trying to win a stanley cup.

I'd be happy if Vanc won the cup too though.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I like watching Ottawa play as well though being in canada it seems like there's only one team worthy of being on the Toronto Sports Network[​IMG]

11. Bryan_K

Bryan_K Stunt Coordinator

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The Canadiens appear to be improved this season. So far they are playing much better defensive hockey than the horrible display of the past couple seasons.

Unless the Canucks get themselves a goalie, they will not be drinking from Lord Stanley this season. Cloutier crumbled in the playoffs the past two seasons. Playing well in net in October means nothing. What counts is April, May and June.

13. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

My Oilers beat that stacked team of the Avalanche on the weekend. Lots of young new players this year...but that never changes. I'm hoping we can make the playoffs for the annual Edmonton vs. Dallas gong show.

14. BobV

BobV Second Unit

15. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

The Oiles are off to a good start this season being undefeated at home. However the loss to Calgary is always hard to take. The win over Colorado made up for it big time though. Ales Hemsky is going to be an amazing player over the next couple years. Go Oilers

RIP #37 Dan Snyder

16. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I am Ranger$ fan, even got a 15-game plan this year. Maybe they'll play to their potential so I can take advantage of the full playoff rights that came with my plan.

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

18. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Well, my Thrashers played a great game last night, scoring two goals in the last 5 minutes to tie up the game. They lost in overtime, but still a great effort.

19. Andrew_Sch

Whew, the Ducks FINALLY get off the schnide. I was disappointed to see it wasn't Jiggy shutting out the Sharks, but at this point I can't complain. It's a win.

20. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

My Habs are up to a decent start, 4-2 this far. They are exceeding my expectations, I was thinking we were heading towards the basement in the standings.

I was hoping for a rebuilding year with lots of rookies getting playing time. I'm a little pised since it will be a mediocre season, we might make the playoffs if we're lucky but we have no chance at the Cup. I'd rather have a bad season with rookies playing and a high draft pick than a mediocre season with mediocre vets playing.