What's new

NHL Playoffs 2003 (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Well, it's my favorite time of the year, the NHL playoffs begin tonight. I'm really looking forward to the Toronto/Philadelphia series. Does anyone have upsets in mind. I'm picking Edmonton over Dallas but that is a bit of a longshot. I really hope that the Canadian teams do well this year, except when they play the Red Wings.

Go WINGS & LEAFS!

James T

Screenwriter
My picks

Edmonton vs Dallas --->Dallas in 5
Colorado vs Minnesota---> Colorado in 4
Detroit vs Anahiem---> Anahiem in 7
St. Louis vs Vancouver---> Vancouver in 6

NY vs Ottawa---> Ottawa in 5
Toronto vs Philly--->Toronto in 7
Boston vs NJ---> NJ in 6
Washington vs Tampa--->Tampa in 6

The surprises I see are Anahiem and Tampa(Washington is favourite) sneaking into the second round.

And the best match is Leafs/Philly series.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I'd love to see Edmonton take out Dallas. I'd feel bad for Turco after his record-breaking season (and Manny Malhotra is from my old neighborhood), but I love watching the Oilers play.

And, of course, I'll have my eyes glued to the Leafs - Flyers series. My 52" TV arrives on Saturday morning...so it'll be ready for game three! :D

Go Leafs! Today I'm sporting a Leafs jersey and a blue mohawk (which is serving double-duty, since I dyed my hair blue for the Jays' opening day).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would love to see Detroit, Dallas and Colorado turfed in the first round.

After the bitter disappointment of their last few games, I am praying Vancouver ressurects itself and gets on track for the cup race.

I would love an Ottawa/Vancouver finals, with Vancouver winning in seven. :)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I hope my Blues finally decide to play defense. They have the talent to win it all, but their defense has been lagging as of late.

I hope the Ducks pluck the Wings, but the possibilty of another Avs/Wings series is enticing.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Dallas will definitely take Edmonton. I think it'll be five or six games. The first two are in Dallas, the Stars rarely lost at home this year, plus they dominated all the Canadian teams they played this year. From '98 to '01 the Stars beat Edmonton in the playoffs. Their only loss against Edmonton came with Hirsch in goal. Finally, Turco is on a roll. I think the Stars will make it to the finals.

I agree with James for the most part, but I think Detroit will win in five games. They've come on pretty strong lately and I don't think they'll roll over in the first round.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Edmonton to beat Dallas in 7.

Marchant down the left he shoots and scores, the Oilers are moving on and the Stars are going home.
'97 was so exciting.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would have thought a true fan would have wanted their team to advance by beating the best.
I've already seen them beat "the best." I'm rooting for Edmonton in their series, but if Vancouver has to go up against the Avs or Detroit, I don't think either team is going to have a cake walk.

BTW, I haven't been able to find it on the NHL site, but does anyone know how the second round matchups are decided (not just by winning round one obviously).

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I believe the winner of 1 vs. 8 would take on the winner of 4 vs. 5. That would make sense, its the way the NCAA bracket was done also. I tried the ascii art, but it doesn't work.

1. 1 vs 8
2. 4 vs 5

3. 2 vs 7
4 3 vs 6

5. Winner of 1 takes on 2
6. Winner of 3 takes on 4

7. Winners of 5 and 6 play conference championship

8. Stanley cup

So worse case, a team has to play 28 games to get the cup. The season is only 82 games. Isn't that a bit much for the playoffs?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Anahiem in 7
I really don't think that Anahiem could out duel the Wings in a seventh game at the Joe. I certainly don't want that to happen.

I am curious to see how Zetterburg plays in the playoffs. He has the makings of a young superstar.

Brandon
Go Wings

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Unless something's changed and I missed it (a distinct possibility), each round pairs the highest remaining seed vs. the lowest, 2nd highest vs. 2nd lowest, and so on...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I would have thought a true fan would have wanted their team to advance by beating the best.
sounds like he wants to see the real competition for his team eliminated out of the western conference right away. well, being a detroit superfan, i would like nothing more than to see a wings/avalanche series. so we can get a repeat performance of our 7-0 thrashing of patrick whaahhh. ok maybe that wouldnt happen, but i hate the avs, like any good wings fan should. if the wings dont make it, i would love to see an ottawa/vancouver series, with vancouver winning.

CJ

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The real reason I'd love those three teams stomped in the first round is because I hate them all, especially Detroit and Colorado. :)

However, it would be nice to see a Wings/Vancouver rematch for the conference, Vancouver winning in five.

It was nice to see Edmonton and Toronto win tonight. I didn't see any of the game, but I think Ottawa is choking up a bit and needs to relax to make the run.

An all Canadian finals would be a great thing for the NHL. I'm very happy the Rangers aren't even in contention. I have never been a fan of trying to buy a cup. Building a strong team is one thing, but they need to have a cap to keep smaller market teams viable. Another reason Detroit has to go down. :)

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
I wouldn't be shocked if boston comes back to beat new jersey. I am hoping for a vancouver-ottawa final (or at least one canadian team in the finals).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks