What's new

NHL Playoffs 2003 (1 Viewer)

Shane Bos

Second Unit
Cujo just hasn't been the same tender since he left the Oilers. Man he won the '97 series vs Dallas for us by himself.

Proposed trade Salo to Detroit and 3/4 of Cujo contract for Cujo to Edmonton. Mybe just maybe he can still play here.

Detroit's gone well there goes my playoff pool.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Anaheim's sweep has to be the biggest first round upset in the playoffs since the days of the Original Six. The only other defending Cup champ to be swept in a first round four game series was in 1952, when Detroit swept the Leafs. Additionally, Detroit had swept the Ducks in both of their previous playoff matchups.

In typical Detroit fashion, the fans are immediately blaming the goalie for all their team's woes. Come on, folks, each game was a one goal loss, and Detroit outshot the Ducks by a wide margin, but their high-powered offense could not score many goals. Don't lay all the blame on Cujo. A lot of the blame should go to players taking stupid penalties and their big offensive guns disappearing in this series.

In Detroit, the Wings goalie and the Lions quarterback always have huge targets painted on them. In the Lions case, though, there is some justification, since they have not had a Pro Bowl QB in over 30 years.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I think the city of Philadelphia would've been on suicide watch if the Flyers had lost a game where they had 75 shots.
You got that right! They simply outplayed the Leafs, but as is usually the case with Philly, the opposing goalie was phenominal. I lost count over the years of how many times they out play the opposition, only to lose because of stellar goal tending.

With that said, thank you Mark Recchi!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike D.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

Maybe the fair weather fans are blaming him but if anyone knows a thing it's glaringly obvious why the Wings lost four straight. His name is Jean-Sebastien Giguere. If this guy continues to play like this, Anaheim will have a great chance to win the Stanley Cup.

Now that the Wings are out my hope is to have a Canadian team win it all. Hopefully there will be a Edmonton/Toronto Stanley Cup Finals with Mats Sundin holding the cup at center ice in June.

GO LEAFS

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
What did Wayne Gretzky say once before? "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
it was 'you wont score on 100% of the shots you dont take', but it wasnt gretzky who said it first, i think it was someone in the 60s who originally said it. figures that i cant remember who it was now..

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
In typical Detroit fashion, the fans are immediately blaming the goalie for all their team's woes. Come on, folks, each game was a one goal loss, and Detroit outshot the Ducks by a wide margin, but their high-powered offense could not score many goals. Don't lay all the blame on Cujo. A lot of the blame should go to players taking stupid penalties and their big offensive guns disappearing in this series.
well you should try watching the games, then decide. you probably didnt, or you would have seen the soft goals that cujo let in. you are right about the high powered offense not scoring enough, they didnt. of course je giguere played great, but remember we scored a few goals on him too, he's not perfect. sounds like anyone who is ready to throw giguere right into the hall of fame after having one good series is listening to the morons at espn a little too much. EVERY time he made a simple save, they went nuts. even when shanahan would shoot right into the logo on his shirt, they acted like it was a highlight film save. i think he played great, but hes not impossible to score on, his pads are tough to score on, he is quick with them. but his glove side is not too strong, and his blocker is worse. remember the posts that we hit in the series? all of them were near the top of the net. and when robitaille hot both posts at once, he didnt see the shot at all, where were the espn morons then. anyway....youre right about some of the players taking stupid penalties, they did. HOWEVER, the penalties they took didnt affect the series at all. the ducks failed to score a power play goal. in both of the regulation goals that cujo let in last night, they were both in the top left corner, and he was leaning to the right on both goals, its like they knew his weak spot. kariyas goal was excusable, he's a great shooter. but who else could you possibly blame for krog's goal? or how about the goal that was scored in the scramble in front of the net in one of the other games, all because joseph was trying to play the puck behind the net but missed? if youre placing the blame on the dumb penalties or the high powered offense, youre kidding yourself. the fact is, half of the goals that joseph let in were preventable, and in 4 one goal games, that makes all the difference in the world.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
In typical Detroit fashion, the fans are immediately blaming the goalie for all their team's woes
maybe it is typical to blame the red wings goalie in detroit, but i am near boston, and alone in being a fan of the wings around here. i dont know what other wings fans do, but this time, its the goalies fault.

CJ

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If you want to talk goaltending, how about Balfour? 72 stops in one game. Where the hell was the D?

While suffering from the Vancouver loss, having Detroit swept is gloat worthy. At least Vancouver still has a chance to redeem themselves, albeit a dicey one, but they have done it before. Cloutier was being pretty transparent in the final frame, I've been advocating putting Auld in net since day one.

Once again bad reffing was a factor in deciding the outcome. The number of missed high sticks, blatent hooks and interference that didn't get called was atrocious. If you aren't going to call every instance of an infraction, don't call any of them.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jeff, nobody 'gloated' when we smoked the Cunucks 4 straight last year!! relax and enjoy your last game of the season!! Anyway, heres my take of the Wings,Ducks:

First of all Giggy outplayed Joseph. Cujo gave up a bad goal every game and being that they were all one goal games, well he has to shoulder a majority of the blame. However lets give credit to the Ducks execution of a great team defense. Talk about Gigure all you want, but we never had good angles on him, nor did we have a chance for rebounds. Usually Holmstrom gets his whacks in front alot, not this series. Ruccin on Sergei did a great job, which I still dont understand because Sergei can outskate anyone, but they definitely clamped down on him. Yzerman was still a little rusty, and Shanny just didnt seem to be able to get off his one-timers. But that goes back I feel to good team defense in keeping guys to the outside and blocking out rebounds. Perhaps age did catch up to us a little as it seemed as hard as we tried, we lost the little battles along the boards that win games...By game three I think the Wings were so psyched out, perhaps more than they should have been, that they were starting to tense up and 'aim' their shots, or trying to make that extra pass to fool Gigure...So, I dont think its one thing, its a combination. But for sure ya have to give credit to the Duck coaching staff for a great plan, as well as the whole team buying into it. It will be interesting to see what happens in the off season...

Stars and Leafs in the Finals!!

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I've been a Philly fan since the early 90s. They always seem to choke in the playoffs. At least they've won 2 games so far this year!

Go Philly!!!!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
if joseph made those saves that giguere did (or any other playoff caliber goalie) then maybe it would be a different story. thats what they paid him 8 mil a year to do.
They also pay a great deal of money to Yzerman, Federov, Hull, Shanahan and others to score goals. They all failed to do so in the series (no player scored more than one goal). Cujo's goals-against average for the series was 2.08. That should not equal a four game sweep. In fact, it should be enough to win a series for a #2 seed playing a #7 seed. Don't place all the blame on the goalie -- in this case, the entire team deserves blame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks