What's new

NHL Playoffs 2003 (1 Viewer)

James T

Screenwriter
I really don't think that Anahiem could out duel the Wings in a seventh game at the Joe. I certainly don't want that to happen.
You have to have faith with...oh, wait. You're from Michigan. This is more of a biased pick since Paul Kariya has been one of my favs for a long time. But if I were to bet money, I'd still bet Anahiem.

...This Cujo thing kinda reminds me of when Roger Clemens screwed Toronto and went to the Yankees. Of course, the Yankees ended up winning the World Series that year...I wonder if history repeats itself in the NHL

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

I don't know if it would be a great for the NHL but it would be great for Canada.

My hopeful match up is Toronto/Detroit in the finals. This series would be great for the NHL. This original 6 match up has quite a history playing against each other back in the old Norris division. There's potential for quite a advertising campaign for this match up that would bring quite a bit of exposure to the NHL which it needs.

Go Wings/Leafs

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
With all Toronto's injuries I don't see them in the finals this year. Detroit looks really sharp and colorado was playing great down the stretch so they'll be tough to beat as well. I'd love to see Ottawa go the distance given their money issues but they need to relax before that happens. I think Vancouver could have gone the distance last year if they'd beating Detroit so if they make it in the second round they could be fun to watch. As a canadian its nice to have some strong canadain teams playing in the playoffs and as a hockey fan detroits got one hell of deep line up. Every time I see them play they win all the small battles and punish teams for mistakes so Detroits where my money's at this year for the cup.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
An all Canadian finals would be a great thing for the NHL.
I agree. Reason being pretty much all the Canadian clubs are in financial trouble of sorts. We lost 2 teams already, I don't want to lose anymore.

Personally i like it to be a Vancouver vs Montreal final.... err.. umm.. i mean Vancouver vs Ottawa.

James T

Screenwriter
Anyone catch the Anahiem/Detroit game?

That was a great game! Great goaltending, great defence(for the most part) and nice goal by Karyia.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
JS Giguere was awesome. He barely gave up a rebound and he was peppered with shots in the 3 OTs.

The Blues played very well defensively and showed their offensive prowess. Cajanek will play Sat, I think, and he will add even more to the team.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I have never been a fan of trying to buy a cup. Building a strong team is one thing, but they need to have a cap to keep smaller market teams viable. Another reason Detroit has to go down.
Jeff - I think it's a common misconception (and a convenient rationalization) that the Red Wings have "bought" their cups. On their current roster, they have eleven players acquired via draft (Datsyuk, Yzerman, Federov, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, McCarty, Fischer, Wallin, Lidstrom, Dandenault, and Bykov), seven acquired via trade (Shanahan, Maltby, Woolley, Schneider, Chelios, Draper, Larionov), and five "bought" (free agents) (Joseph, Legace, Devereaux, Robitaille, and Hull).

By comparison, the team you are pulling for, Vancouver, has four free agents on their roster (Baron, Baumgartner, Lindgren, and Skudra).

The bottom line is that the Wings have just one fewer free agent than the Canucks.

(by the way, I wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks go deep into the playoffs; they have some good talent)

Jon

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
..it's a common misconception (and a convenient rationalization) that the Red Wings have "bought" their cups.
While they may have acquired their players through the draft or trades, the majority of teams out their could not afford to keep them once their salaries got to the level they are now. Free agency has nothing to do with it.

This is starting to be an interesting playoff series.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I'm happy already the Isles took the 1st game, so a sweep is now not possible! They look like they have the Sens on there heels a bit, as the Sens have too mush Yashin on the brain.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Maybe he should have said high priced free agents.
OK...let's see. There's Hull, Robataille, and Joseph that might be considered high priced. That's three players on the entire roster.

I guess it comes down to how we define a "bought" team.

In any event, the Toronto/Philadelphia series is looking to be the most exciting in the early goings.

Jon

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
That's three players on the entire roster.
As I said, free agency has nothing to do with it. My definition of trying to buy a cup is obtaining and keeping players with little attention to the cost of doing so. most teams are forced by economics to balance their lineups, they can't afford 20 players each making $5 million a season. If they want a marquee player, something else has to be compromised.

Fortunately New York's attempt at buying a cup was a dismal failure, which I hope causes the league to reassess how a roster can be filled. There is no doubt Detroit is loaded with quality players, but the sport gets pretty boring come playoff time if it comes down to the team with the most money wins.

Back to the games, I think most of the top seeds got a wake up call. I don't think any of these races will be easily won. I just hope my Canucks get their act in gear and start playing to their potential.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Whoa, first period of Blues Vs. 'Nucks was sooo intense.. great game so far!

Go canucks!

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
OK, Jeff, I'm not gonna argue that. Just ask the 2-0 Mighty Ducks
And look what teams have won the cup in the last 10 years. If they have one thing in common its the fact they're the big money teams. Oh yeah and none are Canadian (cept the 93 Canadians)

Sure, you get cinderella stories in every playoff series of any sport. Its no different in hockey. But the bottom line is that the Detroits, Colorados and Dallas's dominate and as long as the sport is dictated by the almighty doller the teams that can't buy the talent will lose.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Phew! Close game but the Nucks certainly played a heck of a lot better than game one (couldn't get much worse).

Great game overall.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Awesome game for the canucks today... super entertaining...

they gotta play physical against the blues, and they delivered.. i didnt see game 1, but i knew from seeing their season games that they would need to be way tougher if they played them in the playoffs. They're gonna be one of the tougher opponents the canucks face imho (even moreso than.. dare i say... the avs and wings)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I agree, that was a good game. Ohlund's return really made a difference on the penalty kill, and Cloutier was excellent. If Vancouver can maintain that level of play on D, but get their offense turned up, they should be fine for the rest of the playoffs. They still aren't clicking 100%, but they have vastly improved from a few games back.

I wouldn't count Detroit out of it yet. Vancouver delt them a pretty deflating 2-0 series lead last year, and look where Detroit ended up. If Anaheim takes game 3, then I'd start worrying if I were a Detroit fan.

Users who are viewing this thread