What's new

NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So it appears there are plenty of tickets available to the big game ranging in price from $3000 to $20,000 per ticket and you can literally sit anywhere. I have even seen a listing for what looked like an entire section or box for $384,000.00 in the event you guys want to go in on that with me...;)

I think there are over 200 tickets available on the 50 yard line alone. Obviously, it seems many people want to sell their seats. Not sure what the face value on these are this year. I guess I should look that up before I spend that $400,000 to watch this game in person.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So it appears there are plenty of tickets available to the big game ranging in price from $3000 to $20,000 per ticket and you can literally sit anywhere. I have even seen a listing for what looked like an entire section or box for $384,000.00 in the event you guys want to go in on that with me...;)

I think there are over 200 tickets available on the 50 yard line alone. Obviously, it seems many people want to sell their seats. Not sure what the face value on these are this year. I guess I should look that up before I spend that $400,000 to watch this game in person.
Is it possible that the NFL has reached its peak in soaking the fan for more and more money? I don't live in an NFL city but when I was still in San Diego I had stopped going to games because it cost too damn much.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Honestly, I believe the intention of the NFL is to have all seats in all stadiums for all games sold at top dollar to very large companies and so they no longer have to deal with selling tickets to individual fans. Fans can watch the game on TV at home. They want, as John Lennon might say, the royalty and rich people to jingle their jewelry at the stadium when there is a good play. Actual fans should only end up there if they win tickets in a contest.

Sponsors should be the ones attending games or giving away tickets. Fans are just a hassle to the NFL.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is it possible that the NFL has reached its peak in soaking the fan for more and more money? I don't live in an NFL city but when I was still in San Diego I had stopped going to games because it cost too damn much.

I rarely go to major pro sports events any more, and much of it is cost related. I went to one Detroit Red Wings game last season (against my favorite team -- Montreal) as the guest of a season ticket holder for a favor I did. Haven't been to a Lions game since part-way into the Matt Millen era when I decided I would no longer financially support the incompetent ownership. Have not been to a Detroit Tigers game since the '94 strike, and it's probably been almost as long since I've been to a Detroit Pistons game.

I still attend one or two Michigan football games a year, but that's as a guest of a close friend, and I reciprocate by taking him and his wife to dinner and our local USA Hockey games. Michigan football is an all-day event, though, with tailgating before & after the game instead of waiting for traffic to clear out of Ann Arbor. However, the stadium is not a comfortable place to watch a football game. It's all bench seats, with not enough room allowed for each patron -- especially in cold weather when everyone wears winter coats and other gear.

With a large screen TV, I can see and hear the game much better. There are no lines for the restroom or refreshments, there is better beer in my refrigerator, and it doesn't cost $12 per beer.

We get our fill of live sports from USA Hockey's National Team Development program,. Our center ice seats cost us about $9 each per game as part of the season ticket package, and the arena is 5 minutes from home.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I realize the Patriots are three-point favorites, and that's understandable, as they have never won (or lost) a Super Bowl convincingly. When I look at most dynasties, their SB wins are convincing. But in every win or loss, the Patriots SBs could have just as easily gone the other way. They could easily be 6-0 in SBs. Or 0-6.

But I think they will lose this SB convincingly (by more than 7 points). I have no real stats or brilliant rationale to support my statement. Just a feeling.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For me to take my son to a Dolphins game and sit in nosebleed seats, with parking and food, would probably cost $500+. I can get a round-trip plane ticket to visit my in-laws in Beijing for not much more than that!

Exactly. My wife had been bugging me for years to take her to a Lions game, and I told her I wouldn't go to another game as long as Wm Clay Ford, Sr. was alive. When he passed away, the first thing she said was that I had to take her to a game now. When I explained to her what everything would cost (tickets, parking, etc.), she decided she didn't want to go that bad. Besides, Ford's widow Martha is just as incompetent as an owner, so I still don't want to give her any of my money.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So the 49ers are following the Detroit Lions method for rebuilding the front office -- hiring a former Pro Bowl defensive player turned broadcaster with no front office experience as their general manager and turning over all player personnel decisions to him. Well, it will be hard for John Lynch to do worse than Matt Millen, who took 8 years to build an 0-16 team.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Nice to hear the Boston reporters going after Roger in his press conference. It would be nicer to hear a real answer though. . . :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't really have any firm preference in this year's SB. The Falcons have never won, so it would be nice for them to get one on their 50th anniversary. OTOH, a Patriots win may lead to some interesting interactions with the Commissioner and the press afterward.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think I'm going to pick the Falcons to win. I have noticed when a player, team, or coach is trying to set some sort of record, it is often a bridge too far. A SB win sets a SB record the Brady and Bellecheck, and the Pats. It may be just too difficult to reach.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While I tend to pull for Brady due to him having played at Michigan, I wouldn't mind seeing the Falcons win their first Super Bowl. They have been in the league for half a century and have made only one appearance in the big game before, so their fans haven't had much to cheer for over many years.

That being said, I'm picking the Pats to win.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think I'm going to pick the Falcons to win. I have noticed when a player, team, or coach is trying to set some sort of record, it is often a bridge too far. A SB win sets a SB record the Brady and Bellecheck, and the Pats. It may be just too difficult to reach.
I was right for about 60% of the game. After that all Pats and no Falcons. A total no show for the entire Atlanta team for most of the second half.

Bigest comeback in playoff history.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What a game. I thought the Falcons would win (by a couple of TDs) and it looked like I was going to be right for the longest time. I'm happy I was wrong.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
All Atlanta had to do when they had the ball on the 25 was run it three times and kick the FG. Why they threw in that situation and didn't bleed clock will forever puzzle me. It's not rocket science.

Another thing that blew my mind: Throughout the second half, Ryan kept snapping the ball with 10-15 seconds on the play clock. I have to believe if he had bled the clock ten more seconds on only six or seven plays, Atlanta wins. And it's not like I'm second guessing. I was screaming at the TV: "Bleed the clock, MVP!" It was nuts.

Gotta give the Pats credit. After having their QB unfairly suspended for Deflate Gate (where's the evidence?), they showed a lot of heart to cap the season off with a championship. I'm no Pats fan, hardly, but they were well coached and mentally tough. In the second half, Atlanta was neither, unfortunately.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I dislike admitting it, but I got far too animated when the Patriots came back and won (I saw the last part, and could not believe how the Patriots came back; it seems that Atlanta just plain choked it). I got too animated because Atlanta has only won one title in all of its sports history (the Braves in the World Series), and I really did want the Falcons to take this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks