NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Word is they *really* like Brissett. Unless Brady suffers a career-ending injury before a Garoppolo deal gets done, Garoppolo is gone. Hopefully there's more than one team with serious interest so they can actually get something good in return.

Reggie W likes this.
  2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Come on over to the Light Side, Crawdaddy! :D

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Sorry, I hate all Boston teams and will never root for one!

Dheiner and DavidMiller like this.
  4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    You don't have to root for 'em; just don't deprive yourself of enjoying the greatness!

How 'bout that Paul Pierce trey? Pre-icing on the cake!

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    You would have been in heaven for the first 42 minutes. :) Maybe the first 59, actually, until the game was tied.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I've already seen enough greatness in my lifetime without subjecting myself to further misery watching Brady and company. By the way, I've always liked Belichick from his Giants day. I just hate the team he coaches and runs.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Nah, that would've been worse after hearing about the Falcons blowing a 25 point lead. False hope thinking they could close them out.

8. 428 Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    That's why you block straight ahead and slam the ball into the line, so the sack and hold don't happen. Running will either take time off the clock or force the Pats to burn their timeouts, which would have had the same effect later. And if you make essentially a kick shorter than an extra point, it's a two score game that likely never goes to OT.

Even if you miss the kick, there's either a lot of time gone from the clock or the Pats have no timeouts. As it was, because of the sack and incomplete pass, the Falcons actually gave the Pats time.

Yes, being conservative on offense is not what got the Falcons to the Super Bowl. But it turns out being conservative with three minutes to go, on your opponents' 22-yard line, probably would have won them the SB.

In that situation, if a coach wants a high probability of winning the Super Bowl, I'm not sure how anyone could defend what the Falcons did. One the other hand, if someone wants to coach egotistically like their teacher Pete Carroll, welcome to the loser's club. Again.

Those who don't learn from history, especially when they play Bill Belichick, are doomed to repeat it.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  9. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    There's a wonderful episode of A FOOTBALL LIFE entitled "The '95 Cleveland Browns' that I think, if you haven't seen it, you would really enjoy.

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    So being aggressive on offense is what got the Falcons to the big dance. So you have to dance with the lady that got you there? How about asking the boogie-woogie girl to slow down on occasion.

I think you have to be able to adjust to the reality of the situation. Run, run, run, kick and they are SB champs. They hadn't stopped the pats offense in a the second half. Why couldn't they understand that and get that field goal?

The Pats last two SB wins were highly dependent on poor play calls by their opponents.

However, scoring 31 straight points in a SB is an incredible achievement.

Scott Merryfield and Carabimero like this.
  11. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I had been down on the Pats since Spygate, and especially since the blatant egos during their "perfect" season that turned out to be not so perfect. I rejoiced in their defeats at the hands of the Giants. And I would have been thrilled to see Atlanta beat them.

But the way Goodell picked on them and unfairly punished Brady, and then to see the Pats win it all despite that, they won me back--just a little bit.

But I still hope Coach Landry's 20-consecutive winning seasons--the greatest record in all professional sports, IMHO--remains in Dallas. I think Belichick needs four more winning seasons to either tie or break it. I hope he doesn't, but if he does, I'll be okay with it, because he's a great coach who had a lot of respect for Tom Landry.

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

This is a quarterback-starved league, where teams use first round picks on Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel and Johnny Manziel. Just off the top of my head, San Fran, Chicago, Cleveland, the Jets and Buffalo are all in the market for QB's. It's also a weak draft year at the position. Some team will pony up a first round draft pick for Garoppolo.

13. 433 Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    The first three teams that Scott mentions above are supposed to be the three teams that will go the hardest after Garoppolo. The reason that the Patriots may prefer Brissett over Jimmy G is Garoppolo is rumored not to be a good practice player...Brissett is. However, whenever they put Garoppolo in a game situation he manages to be outstanding. Jimmy has thrown 94 passes in NFL action...no picks. He only played 6 quarters this past season before getting injured but he was pretty damn good in those 6 quarters...awesome in the last two. I think the Patriots have remained nervous about him because they can't get him to look as awesome as he does in a game in practice.

49ers - Shanahan wants a QB. He supposedly has three on his list but one of the three is Cousins and the Redskins are going to franchise him or sign him to a new deal. So, that is not realistic and seems a smokescreen. The other QB is Matt Schaub. This guy is a 35 year old back-up in Atlanta that looked like he was done last time we saw him on a football field. So, not a starting QB. So, Garoppolo looks like the guy he really wants. He may also bring in Schaub as a back-up to tutor the starting QB since he knows his system but honestly I can't imagine wanting to start him. The 49ers want to make a big splash. They got lucky getting Shanahan because supposedly the other teams that interviewed him thought he was an arrogant jerk and passed on him. Landing Garoppolo may be their big off-season move and obviously Shanahan wants a QB. The asking price for Garoppolo may get as high as two first round picks...the 49ers are one team that will step up with that offer no problem.

Bears - The Bears have been a likely destination for Garoppolo because he's from there, they are supposed to part ways with Cutler, and they really need a QB and they like him. It seemed when everybody thought Fox (also having some health issues that people thought may cause him to retire) would get fired after going 6-10 then 3-13 that there was a huge possibility that both McDaniels and Garoppolo would be heading to Chicago. This seemed the kind of "perfect" situation that McDaniels has been holding out for. Somehow, Fox kept his job and has not retired due to his health. McDaniels is remaining in New England and Brady just won his fifth Super Bowl in impressive fashion and played fantastic in 2016. So, although it goes against all rational thought the Patriots are going to likely give Brady a 4 year extension and trade Garoppolo. The Bears could grab him with the idea that if Fox tanks again this season they fire him and offer McDaniels the job in 2018. Then McDaniels gets his dream position WITH a QB he knows and has developed and intimately knows his system already. I see only one stumbling block to this...as far as I know the Bears as a rule will not get into a bidding war for a player. So, if other teams start driving up the price I think the Bears would back out. This may be the key to how the 49ers go after him and keep him away from the Bears. Pay high and the Bears won't match.

Browns - Obviously the Browns need a QB. They have been burned in the draft with QBs and rumor is they have decided a better way to get a solid player at the position may be to trade for one. Hence their interest in Garoppolo. Also the Browns and the Patriots have a good relationship and have traded several players back and forth. So, this is a real possibility. Let's keep this in mind...the Browns draft first in the 2017 draft. They could offer the Patriots the Number 1 pick in this years draft for Garoppolo. Or the Browns could risk taking QB Mitch Trubisky at that spot. He is likely, as of right now, going to be the first QB off the board. He's considered a reach. Do the Browns want to reach for a QB in the draft again and come out looking like clowns for it? Keep in mind the Browns also have the number 12 pick in the first round of this years draft (and two picks in round two) and also are thinking of reaching for DeShaun Watson here (a we hope he is a Dak Prescott pick but this guy throws lots of picks)...so they have lots of ammo to trade for Jimmy. The 49ers draft 2nd overall in this years draft. They are also considering reaching for Trubisky if the Browns pass (hint: the Browns think they want to pass on him). The Bears draft third. The Bears are considering really reaching for a QB here (they think Trubisky will be off the board) and if Trubisky is gone they may take DeShone Kizer...a gigantic reach...hoping he could be Dak Prescott like. So, if this is a bidding war I think it comes down to the 49ers or Browns and the Browns are basically stacked with picks and if this goes into picks from next year...well...the Browns are likely to stink again (they are clearly still the worst team in their division) so future Browns picks are probably sure thing high round choices.

I think if Garoppolo could choose he would go to the Bears but he's not going to get to choose. I do not think it is likely that the Patriots would trade Garoppolo within the division and the Jets and Bills can't offer as much as the Browns, 49ers, or Bears.

14. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    Well, the series went:

1st Down - RUN for a 1 yard loss.

2nd and 11 - Surprise pass play. Patriots were likely expecting a run here too. The Falcons running game was not going well and so this play is the key to all of the criticism. Yes, they were at the 23 yard line. Yes, that is most of the time a high percentage kick. However, the Patriots had run a play already in the game where they jumped the line and prevented the kick. They were improperly flagged for it the first time. The refs were, at this point, aware of their mistake. They would not have flagged the Patriots for it the second time. You can bet, and the Falcons knew, the Patriots would try this again on the field goal attempt...making the field goal somewhat less likely to be successful. So, having had success passing they attempted to throw and Ryan rather than quickly throwing the ball away attempted to scramble to extend the play. My guess would be this WAS NOT what Shanahan wanted him to do. It was likely meant to be a quick pass or throw the ball away. Ryan being the MVP and having been doing well throwing so far should have been able to execute that play NO PROBLEM. He didn't. Result, sack and loss of 12 yards.

3rd down and 23 from the Patriots 35 - Now you have a much more difficult field goal. Now even Aikman agreed throwing a pass here would be OK as long as it was quick and even if it was for a minimal gain. Oops, they get a holding call costing them another 10 yards.

3rd down and 33 from the Patriots 45 - Now you are at the 45 and out of field goal range so now you have to throw.

So, the complaint here is that Shanahan did not call a run on second down when the Patriots were surely expecting a run and the way that play looked that run would have been for another loss. Probably not a 12 yard loss but maybe a 7 or 8 yard loss. So, there is no way to say they would have absolutely made that field goal and won the game. That's not a lock if they had run on all three downs and taken a loss on on three downs. Really, I would put this less on Shanahan's 2nd down call than the fact that Ryan did not quickly throw that ball away. I don't think the call was that bad as long as your QB executes the play the way it should have been run.

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  15. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Had they run 3 times with a one yard loss each time, the still had a high percentage kick.

Carabimero likes this.
  16. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    Still that is a "what if" because with the Patriots expecting run bad things could have happened. They could have lost more than a yard on those plays. They could have fumbled. The Patriots could have run that jump the line play again on the kick, they have had success with that, and blocked the kick. The Falcons still held the lead. The Patriots still needed to get a touchdown and a two point conversion to tie. Had Ryan completed that pass on 2nd down they may have been able to take way more time off the clock and sealed the game. So, that pass play on 2nd down was a minor risk. Had it worked people would be talking about how brilliant and daring the play calling was. It does not work, they make additional mistakes and now everybody wants to say in hindsight they should have just ran it three times. I don't think that is the lock people want to make it out to be.

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Bingo.

If the game were tied, I bet they would've run three times regardless (barring a penalty/fumble). They held an 8-point lead at the time. And a first down would have allowed them to run even more time off the clock.

On a related note, I was ready to put my fist through the TV when the Pats ran a pitchback toss from the 2-yard line on what turned out to be the last play of the game. Heck, if it weren't for a massive block from Marcus Cannon, almost certainly the most improved player in the entire league this season, they might've lost yardage on that one!

18. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I think that if Brady decided to retire tomorrow, the Patriots would extend Garoppolo without batting an eye. The only reason he's getting moved is because someone else is going to pay him after next season anyway. The fact that they like Brissett so much just makes losing Garoppolo an easier pill to swallow.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm still in mourning... working through those 5 stages of grief...

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Stolen from a facebook friend:

"When I die... I want 2 falcons, 2 braves, and 2 bulldogs as pallbearers...
    So they can let me down one last time."