1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Regular Season Discussion

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Simms was alright for a while, but he's been awful for the past few seasons, making all kinds of nonsensical comments. He's probably the single most hated (by fans) NFL analyst on TV.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have never thought much of Simms as an analyst. However, making Romo their number one analyst right away seems like a strange move. I wonder if it was a requirement for him coming to work for CBS?

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Doesn't seem like Romo would have the leverage for that.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Let's remember that Fox has an opening for their number two analyst spot with Lynch leaving for San Francisco's GM job. Obviously, CBS was bidding against Fox and they won by offering him the number one analyst job.

To be frank, I don't like any of the NFL analysts. None of them make any points that are significant to me. I never liked Collingsworth and I don't have any use to listening to any former Cowboy QB. I wish Peyton Manning would become one as I think he would bring some needed humor with his analysis.

bmasters9 likes this.
  5. Message #465 of 478 Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, the inside story on this is pretty comical. Simms is one of those guys that thinks farting is very funny. So, when he and Nantz are doing the games Simms farts in the booth...knowing it annoys Nantz. Apparently Nantz had expressed his dislike of these shenanigans but it only further encouraged Simms, who thought it was even funnier that he could annoy Nantz with his farts. This season Simms began not only farting but waving his hand to blow the farts toward Nantz. This actually got caught on camera at least once. Well, this was the final straw for Nantz who requested a new partner for the broadcasts he was working saying he would no longer work with Simms.

And so the apparently less flatulent Tony Romo got the job. Simms is now stuck waiting to see if there is a guy that will work with him that enjoys ripping one as much as he does.

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    That's funny once or twice, but to continue it when he knows he is pissing someone off, is pretty thoughtless.

7. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    My take on it is that it is pretty unprofessional and Nantz let Simms and many others know he did not find it funny and did not enjoy it. It would be one thing if they were outside of work and Simms clowned around but when Simms has Nantz trapped in the booth with him while they are working and Nantz can't get up and walk away...well, then it just becomes a bit cruel. You can see in the video I posted above that Nantz even knowing they were on camera gets up and moves away from Simms.

Nantz wanted it to stop. Simms would not stop and even got more creative...mentioning "the wind" and that it was "warming up" while doing it on camera. You can clearly see Nantz is not happy about it. I'm sure he "took it" for a long time but I do think Nantz is well within his rights to request another partner.

Romo might "stink" as an analyst but not in the same way Simms did.

bmasters9 and Johnny Angell like this.
  8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I think it's more than just that though.

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Well, they say that SImms is quite a prankster but that the primary issue was that he would not knock off the farting. I know I would not want to sit in a booth with a farty Phil Simms week after week. Hey, Dustin Hoffman is another serial farter and he is famous for farting during scenes with his fellow actors. The scene in the phone booth in Rain Man is not faked. Hoffman let rip a horrible silent but deadly fart that was not scripted as part of the scene trapping Cruise in the booth with him and the brutal stench. Both actors being troopers played it out and it ended up in the film. Hoffman calls it the scene he is most proud of in his career.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I was recently on a 4-hour flight, sitting near someone who farted constantly throughout the flight. It definitely wasn't pleasant being trapped in an enclosed space for hours with someone like that.

If this is true, I'm amazed Nantz put up with it for so many years.

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    As I read this, I am asking myself is it still April 1st?

12. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I think it could take some time before Tony Romo becomes any kind of decent television sports broadcaster. Perhaps anywhere from a few years to...um...never...

13. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    Yeah, I remember staying at someone's house for a few days, and one of his roommates and friends would constantly burp or fart as loud as possible, as many times as possible. While I was trying to sleep. When asking them nicely, to please stop, they just laughed it off, as if I was stupid enough to make an issue of it. To say it annoyed me, would be an understatement. It is funny once in a while (mainly on TV or movies), but if I heard it in person, happening outside of the bathroom, I find myself thinking "hope no one else heard that".

As for Simms, good riddance to him. I almost saw him as the Tim McCarver of football. And thought I was the only one who could not stand him.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I don't understand the Simms hate, but whatever as I'm not a fan of any of the analyst as I don't think any of them are terribly entertaining nor insightful.

15. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Simms is not well liked that's for sure...

16. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    OK, so let's give out some off season running back awards...

Player most deserving of suffering a career ending injury so the scumbag goes away forever Award

Ezekiel Elliott - This piece of garbage has spent his off season grabbing a woman's breasts to expose them to passing crowds. So, you still want to wear that Elliott Cowboys jersey? If so enjoy promoting a woman abusing idiot!

Player we hope does not return to the NFL Award

Marshawn Lynch - When he is not threatening to "slap the smile" off the face of 13 year old children that would like his autograph he spends his time slapping the phones out of the hands of teenagers that want his autograph and then spitting in their general direction. A prince this man is not...in fact he is a moron that probably belongs in an institution somewhere. The big question is why anybody would want this scumbag's autograph.

Player that it seems nobody wants anymore Award

Adrian Peterson
    - He has visited three teams and so far they have all passed. Perhaps a guy that whips a 4 year old all over his body until he bleeds is not a guy people want around.

17. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    Dan Rooney of the Steelers passed away at 84. :(

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

A sad day for Steeler fans, and the NFL.