What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

My optimism vanished after the Falcons put up 21 points in a hurry. For the rest of the season, I'm going to expect the Lions to lose every game; that way I can be surprised.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

One of my friends predicted that the Lions would go 6-10. After the Falcons game, he changed that to 3-13.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I made a bet with a Lions season ticket holder before the season started -- over/under on wins of six, and I have the under. I am feeling very confident right now.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Well the refs screwed my Chargers out of a win today.
unadulterated B.S.

The review device was non-functional for the first incorrect call. since when does that happen !?!
Then Hoculi blows the whistle too early on a clear fumble thus making the call non-reviewable. That second fumble would have ended the game. almost certainly.
nice product NFL.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am a Charger fan. Pity me.

I stopped watching the game after the instant reply malfunction. I knew that TD would make the difference in the game. I knew it would.

Looking on the good side (har, har) maybe the Bolts will learn they have to play for 60 minutes. Putting yourself in an early hole every time, is not a good system to follow.

However, when the game was on the line, the offense got the lead, and the defense couldn't keep either team out of the end zone for just one more play.

With a break here and there, they could be 2-0, but I kinda think they've earned 0-2.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's two straight tough losses for the Chargers. With Merriman out for the season and LT's nagging toe injury, San Diego may be in trouble. Their saving grace, though, is that the AFC does not look nearly as tough this season as the past few.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
So the Jags, Chargers, and Seahawks are 0-2. The Bolts will climb out.

I'd also like to note that everyone's (professionally, at least) AFC South "doormat from the pre-season predictions" are 2-0 with a monstrous defense - the Titans lead the South.

Tonight is a big game for the NFC.

Packers also look great with a 2-0 lead in the weak North.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still don't know how Indy won their game against the Vikings yesterday, but it was a game they gutted out without being anywhere close to being "on their game".

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Chargers will be fine. Broncos looked sharp yesterday, but I think the Chargers will end up winning the West. They really "won" yesterday's game despite being down 21-3 at some point. Thank goodness for Sproles. He took over that game. First with his kick runback. and then later in the 4th quarter he broke one off from about midfield all the way to the 1 yard line. I mean he ran by everyone, but it was called back on a lame penalty. then just for show, he gets a screen pass and takes it 60+ yards. I mean, the guy is electric.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
This season has been crappy for me so far and not just because I'm a Lions fan. I also root for the Bengals and the Browns and all three teams are 0-2. Uugh.

At least this time, the Lions came back from the big deficit, but of course, they had to give it away the only they could, but giving up three touchdowns in the final seven minutes of the game.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Hey Scott, I tortured myself and went to the Lions game yesterday. They were getting crushed and we were about to leave when the Lions made that miracle comeback to take the lead. Of course we all know what happened, but at that point we left and it was a steady down pour for the half mile walk to the car. At least I didn't pay for the tickets and they were very good seats. Calvin Johnson is the lone bright spot on that team. IMO

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
At least you got to see an entertaining game, Brandon. I've resolved myself to not attend any more games until major changes are made in the front office. Even with free tickets, the team would get concession money out of me, and I'm not giving the Ford's another dime.

That's a tough threesome, Zachary. Being a Michigan fan, it's been tough on me, too. Fortunately, I've been a Steelers fan for almost 40 years (my mother's from western PA and my dad went to school there), so I have one bright spot this football season.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Democrat Gazette has an "Off the wire" section in the Sports section of the paper. There is no other attribution to sources of articles. There is an article about the Charger game. Hochuli has acknowledged he screwed up. The article goes on to say:
I'd like add my two bits to that: Brownie...I mean Hochuli, you did a heckuva job.

Shanahan goes on to say correctly that the TD wasn't a given. It was 3rd down on the 10. They still had to score a TD and a 2 pointer. The Charger dense did not stand up for the second game in a row, with the game on the line.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Johnny,
As I understand it, there are different rules for "ruled down by contact" vs. "ruled incomplete pass". In the case of the INC, the call can be changed to a fumble, but the ball is considered dead, and no play can be made from that point. Apparently the discrepancy is likely to be changed in the coming off-season. I'm ambivalent about players being awarded possession for playing past the whistle but some of the whistles are so bad, what else can they do?

So, if the fumble had landed in the end zone, would it have been like a fumble out of the endzone, i.e, touchback, SD ball? That's my best guess.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
While I hate the results of "inadvertent whistles" sometimes, I really dread the results of not training todays' NFL athlete to stop at the whistle. Someone will be seriously injured due to this, in the near future. If the whistle does not mean STOP!!!, RIGHT NOW!!!!! what does it mean?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
They may change it to where possible incomplete/fumbles/combos are not whistled dead. I know last night, when the Eagles player, whoever his name was, I just remember him as moron, threw the ball backwards before he even made it in the end zone (then started doing his celebration dance after his fumble....moron) the play was never whistled dead, but assumed by all that it was over.

Speaking of that player, they mentioned in the game that in high school on a national televised game he was about to score a touchdown and did a swan dive from the 5 yard line but landed on the 2, being ruled down, and then awarded an unsportsman like conduct penalty, and they didn't score. The arrogance of this player is annoying, I hope his career goes no where.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Yeah DeSean Jackson sure ingraved his name in history by that move. I absolutely couldn't believe it the second I saw the replay. It was so obvious he didn't make it in before dropping the ball. If he wasn't so good you'd hope that his team would beat the arrogance out of him. Perhaps he's like T.O. or Ocho-Sinco, without his attitude he wouldn't know how to survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks