What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll put the Bills over the Jets. They put a beatdown on a decent Seattle team, while the Jets scraped by the Dolphins (1-15 last year).

I still think the Pats might do OK. They won't dominate, but the rest of the team is quite good.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I actually think that Seattle is going to be quite bad this season. They are weak at RB and WR, and their offensive line is not what it used to be. The Seahawks' offense is going to struggle all season. The only advantage they have is playing in the worst division in the league.

Meanwhile, Parcells has done a find job improving the Dolphins in one offseason. Miami's not going to the playoffs, but they should be much better than last season's 1-15 team.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've been pretty quiet since the draft but that's because there hasn't been football since then. Ok, I've also been pretty busy but I...am...ready...for...some...football!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It looks like Brady is out for the season. With Indy looking very vulnerable, the AFC is officially a wide open race. The AFC East appears to now be a three team battle between Buffalo, the Jets and New England (the Pats still have enough talent to contend). I'll stick by my Jets prediction a couple of responses ago, but this will be an interesting race.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Things are certainly a lot more interesting now where the AFC East is concerned. I think the Patriots are vonerable not just because of the Brady thing but also because, I still think they have a lot of defensive questions that aren't settled especially in the secondary.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I said earlier today that I was ready for some football.

Unfortunately, I'm still ready for some football. I'm seeing half of football, Denver's half of the game is football but the Raider half may be worse than anything Art Shell ever coached.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The Patriots are done, even with their "genius" coach? The ugly little troll? We'll see what a genius he is now, without Tom Brady.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It was only one game, but Aaron Rodgers was very impressive last night. He showed a strong, accurate arm and was very poised and composed running the team. If this is the norm, the Packers are going to be very tough this season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

It was weird to hear that Chris Simms and Tim Rattay didn't even get past a face-to-face interview before the Pats sent both guys back to the airport. If Cassel gets hurt, what are their QB backup plans then? I foresee a lot of running by the Pats until Cassel can handle all of the offensive playbook.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

That is interesting, if not downright strange. The injury has thrown the AFC wide open and it will be exciting, but I hate to see any injury like that and I'm a fan of Brady.

Well, my optimism for the Lions lasted less than a game into the NFL season. :frowning: (Scott, please feel free to commence with the "I told you so" portion of the season and Brandon, Zachary feel free to join in.)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I wonder if ESPN will get in trouble for showing the Broncos/Raiders game. I thought it was illegal to televise an execution.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
What has happened to the bengals, play off team a couple years ago, now they are just terrible?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Cincy's defense was never very good, and now the offense has it's issues. The offensive line is not very good, they lost a dependable RB in Rudi Johnson (injured last season, cut this year) and have not replaced him, and their two star receivers are both banged up.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yep. The defense seems to have improved thanks to the new coordinator, but we've only been through one game so far. The biggest problem on offense is the line. The year we went to the playoffs, we had the best offensive line in the league. Since then, we've lost Rich Braham (center) and Willie Anderson (tackle) to old age/injury, and Eric Steinbach was traded to the Browns. Carson was uncomfortable the entire game because the Ravens kept chasing him, and the line offered very little support. Bob Bratkowski (offensive coordinator) needs to go. Run down the middle. Not working? Run down the middle. Still not working? Run down the middle.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I'm really hoping the Steelers put their foots on the Brown's throats on Sunday. Nothing against the Browns, of course, but the Steelers pretty much have to win the division to have any hope of making the playoffs this year, it's looking pretty crowded in the AFC as far as wild-card hopes go. I'm more worried about the Browns than the Bengals or Ravens this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree, Bob, that the Brownies are the Steelers' chief competition in the division. However, with Jacksonville's offensive line decimated by injuries, Brady gone from the Pats, Vince Young out in Tennessee, and Indy looking shaky, I think the conference is not nearly as tough as the past few years. Both Pittsburgh and Cleveland could very well make the playoffs. I've been a Steeler fan for almost 40 years (all Lions fans need another team to cheer for), and I'm very optimistic on their chances to win the conference.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Chargers better crush the Snotty Jackasses (and you thought that was a horse blowing steam, silly HTF football fan) and not go into a 2007-like early season funk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks