What's new

General Weather Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I must say this is the mildest winter I have ever seen in Mid-Michigan. Furthermore, it's the least amount of snow I experienced here. We might get some additional snow, but the extended forecast looks really good for the rest of March. So much so, the Michigan Department of Transportation has already posted signage on Interstate 75 that construction is going to begin again in early March which probably means this coming week. Such construction usually doesn't take place until late March or early April.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I saw a report that the upper Midwest is experiencing their warmest and driest Winter on record. Down in Ohio and Kentucky, I haven’t seen much snow either. Works for me- snow makes my job harder, and more stressful.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Chicago has been CRAZY. Yesterday it was 53. Monday we may break our record 73 degrees. But in 2015 I took these pictures along Lake Michigan in Racine (about 50 miles north of Chicago). A crazy contrast!
F0D42481-D872-49F1-BC3B-7CF99778200AIMG_6299.jpeg
CD3402BD-D91D-41C0-867F-D3139041E5E0IMG_6300.jpeg

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Me every time the meteorologists for the local news stations in Arkansas predict “end of days” winter weather that doesn’t happen, yet sends the entire state to the grocery store on a panicked milk and bread buying spree (usually three or four times every winter). IMG_0096.jpeg

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
In related news, yesterday was close to 30° warmer than our normal temp for March 2nd (I think Conway hit 72°), so I got out and cleaned up a lot of my neighbor’s tree limbs that had fallen in my yard during the winter, and raked and bagged my neighbor’s pin oak leaves that had fallen in my yard last fall/winter but I was too busy traveling out of state for work and couldn’t get to it when the neighborhood POA asked everyone to “rake THEIR leaves”. After it was all said and done, I have a pile of big limbs at the curb, 4 garbage cans full of small limbs, and 24 bags of my neighbor’s leaves that I raked yesterday. It took almost all day and I’m so sore that I can hardly bend to put on socks and tie my shoes today. I decided that this next fall/winter when his trees shed their leaves that I’m going to hire a landscaping company to rake and vacuum up the leaves. IMG_0209.jpeg IMG_0208.jpeg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I decided that this next fall/winter when his trees shed their leaves that I’m going to hire a landscaping company to rake and vacuum up the leaves.
We started paying our lawn service company to do an autumn cleanup a few years ago. Raking leaves was just getting too hard on my back. It was a smart decision for us.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Chicago has been CRAZY. Yesterday it was 53. Monday we may break our record 73 degrees. But in 2015 I took these pictures along Lake Michigan in Racine (about 50 miles north of Chicago). A crazy contrast! View attachment 215003 View attachment 215004
I live in the Chicago area too and the first time I heard tornado sirens in February. Last Tuesday there were 11 confirmed tornado touchdowns in the area which is more amazing in late February.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
We started paying our lawn service company to do an autumn cleanup a few years ago. Raking leaves was just getting too hard on my back. It was a smart decision for us.
I priced out a few lawn service companies to mow last summer and the cheapest I found was $250 per week. My grass grows fast enough that it has to be mowed weekly or it starts looking like we abandoned the property. Our mowable lawn is ¾ acre with about 10 pine and fur trees. Most of the lawn can be done with a rider but we have a steep hillside behind the house leading up into a neighbor’s yard that has to be done with a push mower on one end and the rest with a string trimmer. That hillside alone takes me an hour of weedeating. Plus we live on a corner so I have to edge along 2 streets, plus the driveway, plus the sidewalk going from the driveway to the front door. By myself, it’s a solid 6 hours every weekend for yard work.

Anyway, back to the weather. It’s supposed to be another unseasonably warm day today so I’m going to try to go for a long walk after running errands today.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I priced out a few lawn service companies to mow last summer and the cheapest I found was $250 per week. My grass grows fast enough that it has to be mowed weekly or it starts looking like we abandoned the property. Our mowable lawn is ¾ acre with about 10 pine and fur trees. Most of the lawn can be done with a rider but we have a steep hillside behind the house leading up into a neighbor’s yard that has to be done with a push mower on one end and the rest with a string trimmer. That hillside alone takes me an hour of weedeating. Plus we live on a corner so I have to edge along 2 streets, plus the driveway, plus the sidewalk going from the driveway to the front door. By myself, it’s a solid 6 hours every weekend for yard work.

Anyway, back to the weather. It’s supposed to be another unseasonably warm day today so I’m going to try to go for a long walk after running errands today.
A price of $250 per week is outrageous. We pay about $25 per cut (have about 1/3rd acre) and have been using this company for over 25 years. The lawn gets cut once per week. A lot of our neighbors use another company that is much more expensive, but still about $38 per cut. Our autumn clean up was about $175.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Me every time the meteorologists for the local news stations in Arkansas predict “end of days” winter weather that doesn’t happen, yet sends the entire state to the grocery store on a panicked milk and bread buying spree (usually three or four times every winter). View attachment 215007
I’ve always said it must be nice to have a job where you’re so consistently wrong and still stay employed!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
We had a heavy snowfall for about 3 hours around noon. It's all melted now. Temp is 41* F (5* C). Bright sunshine with almost no clouds.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
A price of $250 per week is outrageous. We pay about $25 per cut (have about 1/3rd acre) and have been using this company for over 25 years. The lawn gets cut once per week. A lot of our neighbors use another company that is much more expensive, but still about $38 per cut. Our autumn clean up was about $175.
I forgot to put in my post that $1000/mo for lawn care is completely outrageous so I just do it all myself.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here in NJ, we have been in a new weather pattern for the past two years, it seems. Our winters are much milder.

Yesterday, it hit 60 degrees which is the warmest St. Patrick's Day Parade we have ever had

IMG_3770.jpeg

EDIT: We made the local newspaper

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Here in NJ, we have been in a new weather pattern for the past two years, it seems. Our winters are much milder.

Yesterday, it hit 60 degrees which is the warmest St. Patrick's Day Parade we have ever had

View attachment 215109

EDIT: We made the local newspaper

Aren't you a little early for St. Patrick's Day, Ron? It's not for two weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks