What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That was a great game last night. This Steelers fan was not very optimistic after that holding penalty on the final drive started Pittsburgh off at 1st and 20 from inside their own 15 yard line. Big Ben and Holmes came up huge on the final drive.

The play of the game, though, was Harrison's interception at the end of the first half. That play was a 10 or 14 point swing.

As stated in another thread, the halftime show was the best ever, IMO. However, I'm biased, being a big Springsteen fan.

I think that Phil Sims is the only QB to win multiple Super Bowls and not be in the Hall of Fame. While it's way too early to know where Roethlisberger's career will go, he could become the second. Ben's stats are never impressive, but he makes plays when needed.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Great game, although lots of questionable officiating against both sides. Let em play refs!

I agree with you Scott, although I do hope that Ben builds off of this season and begins to be more of a focus of their offense. So many games this season, it seemed like he was what was holding them back from utter 2008 Patriot domination of their opponent.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Best halftime ever? Really? I respect Springsteen, and he had some good intesity, but he just doesn't sing well, IMHO. While everyone gave Prince a hard time about the whole shadow incident, I haven't heard anything about Bruce's mic between the legs while bending backwards opening.

It was a good game, exciting finish, though I think that the final play really needed to be reviewed. I thought it was a forward pass and the Cards would have had the ball at the 29 yard line. Was that really the best officiating crew the NFL has? The look on Kurt Warner's face after Holmes TD was something else. I felt bad for the guy and feel he is bound for the HoF. Sure am glad the Lions didn't sign him a couple of years ago....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a Raiders and Giants fan that's not entirely true. Jim Plunkett is the only quarterback to have been the starting QB on two SB winning teams and not be inducted into the Pro Football HOF. Simms got hurt near the end of the regular season and Jeff Hostetler quarterback the Giants during that second playoff run.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I wish that last play had been reviewed, too, to remove any doubt on the play. Personally, I thought it was a fumble.

This season probably did clinch a Hall of Fame spot for Warner. A win yesterday would have made it certain, but the one SB win, two SB appearances, and league MVP awards will probably still get him in, although he is not a lock like Favre, Brady and Peyton Manning.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a fan of either team. I was glad to see an exciting, competitive fourth quarter that made it interesting. I paid no attention to the halftime show, as I think Springsteen is a godawful singer (hearing him flatly croak his way through Santa Claus is Coming to Town confirmed that for me once and for all). I'm a bit surprised that there doesn't seem to be commentary on the commercials. The Budweiser ones were fun, but I hated the "oh look how cool we think we are" Pepsi commercials.

Mariners

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Yeah it was a great game last night. I am surprised the Cardinals got that close to winning though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Are you talking about where Warner goes to pass, gets hit by a Steeler player and drops the ball? At first, we thought that he had already started to throw the ball when he got hit, but the replay shows that he never got out of the cocked position before being clobbered. The ball is knocked out of his hand, resulting in a fumble.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was ridiculous some of the calls, especially not reviewing the fumble at the end of the game. That was not an obvious fumble, and to end the superbowl without a review is stupid.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Cards got more than close. They outplayed the Steelers and lost primarily because of Harrison's incredible 100 yard return.

I think Warner is assured at this point. A win would have made him a lock, but with his stats, his win, and his story and character...he's a shoo-in. What a guy.

And Fitz is a complete stud. Holmes is rightly getting the press (as the MVP), but Fitz is out of this world. His two TD catches were beautiful. He didn't even break stride on the long one.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm overjoyed that my Steelers pulled out a win in such a great game, but part of me feels heartbroken for Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald and all the other good people on that team. I really wish that that the Steelers could have played and defeated a team I loathe (like the Cowboys), but I'll take this win regardless.

For all you Cardinals fans reading this - take pride in your team. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. The Cards proved to everyone that they were no fluke in making it as far as they did. I can honestly say that I wish your team nothing but good times in the very near future and beyond and I'll be rooting for you guys as long as you aren't playing my "Sixburgh" Steelers.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Does anyone know what was up with James Harrison (I think I have the correct player) yesterday? Has anyone read anything about why he was punching (and then knocked over) the Cardinals player after the play had been ruled over? I can't find too much out about it.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Take it with a grain of salt, but I've been reading forum posts alleging that he was being held on pretty much every play and he was venting because it wasn't being called enough.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thomas,

Thanks. It would have been good to hear what the Cardinals player was saying to Harrison. As Madden said during the game, Harrison is usually a fairly level-headed guy.

The officiating in that game was ... odd to say the least. Thankfully, the reviews showed that the challenged plays were called correctly. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

I've been perusing the Steelers message boards trying to find an answer and have been unsuccessful. I'm hoping the topic is broached on the talk shows.

There was no reason for Harrison to take things to that level unless Harrison was hit with a few cheap shots. He's very lucky he didn't get ejected.

How laughable it was though when John Madden, who coached some of the dirtiest players (Tatum, et al) in Oakland, called for Harrison to be ejected.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Personally, I think Fitzgerald is the most complete WR in the league right now. He is fast, runs great routes, can get way up in the air with his size and athletic ability, and has the best hands in the league. Terrell Owens probably drops more balls in one game than Fitz does in an entire season.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I look at Fitz and see what Calvin Johnson will be in another year or two. They will probably be 1-2-3 in the league with Andre Johnson for the next few years. I mean, come on, look at Calvins numbers this year, tied for the league lead in TD's, fourth or fifth most yards, with who as his qb in a system that you or I could have designed. At least he is one pick that millen didn't miss.

Speaking of millen, yes I am using lower case for his name, I am so insulted that he is considered the "expert" on the NBC staff. It literally makes me sick and I turn the channel when I have to see his mug on the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks