What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Yes, Cowher doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get back into coaching. If he was, he would have probably jumped at the Denver or Jets jobs.

There is a rumor that Gruden may be headed to South Bend as Saint Charlie's replacement. As a Michigan fan and Notre Dame hater, I would prefer to see Weiss get a lifetime contract.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
As far as Cowher and coaching, I have this 'red alert' in the back of my head that says he won't coach any team but the Steelers. I think his loyalty to them is quite intense, and may be why he wanted nothing to do with the Browns job. Does anyone else believe this to be the case?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't believe he would seriously consider coaching the Browns due to his Steeler history, but I'm not sure he's given up coaching altogether.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I agree. I don't believe money is necessarily the greatest incentive either. But obviously, I don't really know what is going on in his mind. I do see his love for Pittsburgh, however, during his stints on CBS.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cowher and his family now live in North Carolina. The rumor has been that the Panthers job is one that would get him to come back to the NFL. Right now, though, John Fox seems pretty solid in Carolina.

Steve, those Shanahan to Dallas rumors have been going strong ever since he was fired by Denver. I think it's just a matter of time before Shanahan ends up working for Jerry Jones. With Jason Garrett not getting any of the head coaching jobs this offseason, though, it may not be until next offseason before Jones lets Wade Phillips go.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I know this is old news, but I'm not surprised that the Lions picked another defensive coordinator with no head coaching experience for the job. The more things change, the more they stay the same.....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Picking a coach without head coaching experience isn't the problem for the Lions. It's picking the right coach and players that has hurt the Lions. By the way, your previous coach wasn't even a defensive coordinator before coming to the Lions while this guy has been one of the best coordinators for the last several years. Give him a chance, he might surprise you.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I really like the Lions hire, and the staff he is assembling is pretty good. Gunther Cunningham as DC I think is good. Yes KC had the second worse defense last year, but since Herm Edwards was the coach he made them run the Tampa 2 without the proper personnel and that is not Cunningham's style. He is an attacker. If you look at when he was allowed to run his D it was pretty darn good.

Linehan is now the OC and he also has a proven track record as a coordinator. The problem still lies with who is running the show, two guys with no real experience and they still have no personnel people to help with the draft and free agency. Maybe we can get lucky for once and he can turn this ship around.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

He was a defensive line coach, so my fault on thinking he was the defensive coordinator.

After further reflection and reading up on what the 3 new guys have done, I would say that they're a step in the right direction. Get the right players and the Lions will definitely make some progress this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I like the hires, too, but the problems of this franchise go way beyond the coaching staff. This team just had the worst eight year stretch in modern NFL history, including the league's first 0-16 record. The owner's response -- he promoted two guys from within this debacle of a front office to the top spots instead of cleaning house, as was needed. Reincarnating Vince Lombardi wouldn't help this pathetic organization.

I actually feel sorry for Jim Schwartz. He seems like a good young coach, and he has probably just ruined his career by taking this job. In the 45 years that Wm. Clay Ford, Sr. has been principle owner, no permanent (i.e. not interim) Lions head coach has ever found another job as an NFL head coach after leaving Detroit. That's a lot of bad history to overcome.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Nothing will.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

We have some nice pieces (Johnson is the real deal and I like Smith a lot), but the o-line and defenses stink. It will take some time to build them up. Coaching will help, but you've got to have the players. I also think they've got to get rid of a bunch of guys because they need to change the culture. It is a locker room that has gotten used to losing.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I'm good with the Detroit coaching hires and the move in philosophy away from things that were in vogue 5 years or more ago. The WCO, Tampa 2, and the Martz system may all still work with the right players, but IMO there's no substitute for a punishing defense (yes the Tampa variants can be punishing, but I wanna see them move away from small and quick defenders and more toward large and malevolent) A brutish OL is also essential to keep a team in the game. AFC North/old AFC Central kind of football. I want trips to Ford Field to be painful experiences for the visiting teams rather than the fans. From there, better records will come eventually. A major infusion of talent is needed to start.

Now, regarding teams that are still playing, I like the Steelers to cover. The Cards are better than I ever gave them credit for, but I'm going with the #1 defense.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

There certainly is not a standout superstar, ala Peyton Manning, in this draft. If the Lions take Stafford or Sanchez they will be making a huge mistake, IMO, and the choice will signify that old man Ford is getting his way again. None of the QB's are worth anywhere near the #1 overall pick, and this team needs so much help everywhere that wasting it on a QB that has a great chance of being a bust would be a disaster. Even if they have a great offseason in the draft and free agency, this team will not be anywhere near a playoff contender, so the QB can keep until next season.

The team should take either a left tackle, linebacker, or defensive lineman with their two first round picks. In fact, the vast majority of their picks need to be on defense -- the lack of talent on that unit is amazing, considering that both Millen and Marinelli were defensive guys. Offensive skill positions are the least of their problems right now.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
IMHO the Lions should take Andre Smith OT with the first pick. If he is there Maaulaga or however you spell his name with the #20 pick, then another LB with the first pick in the second round. If they are going to take a QB I really think they should take the kid from Ball St. in the third or fourth round, whom I think may end up being the best QB in this draft.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I just looked this up:

Since 1969, the Steelers have had 3 coaches:
Chuck Noll
Bill Cowher
Mike Tomlin.

The Lions have had 14 coaches:
Joe Schmidt
Don McCafferty
Rick Forzano
Tommy Hudspeth
Monte Clark
Daryl Rogers
Wayne Fontes
Bobby Ross
Gary Moeller
Marty Mornhinwheg
Steven Mariucci
Dick Jauron
Rod Marinelli
Jim Schwartz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks