What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Way to go Lions! Embarrassing yourselves on national television.

I fully support the idea of taking the Thanksgiving Day game away from the Lions. Why not make the 12:30 game one between the previous season's Super Bowl participants?

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Here's what I want as soon as possible for the two daytime Thanksgiving day games: the AFC Champion versus the NFC runner-up in one game and the NFC Champion versus the AFC runner-up in the other game, using the teams that played in the conference championships from the previous season. That would essentially mean we'll have the Green Bay Packers versus the New England Patriots in one game and the San Diego Chargers versus New York Giants in the other game if it happened this season.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I hope you guys realize that as long as, and it may not be much longer, Ford Motor Company is in business, the Thanksgiving day game will never leave Detroit. Ford is THE largest sponsor of the NFL and old man Ford has already told them, pull turkey day game and I pull sponsorship. That is also why there was a third rotating game added to the day a couple of years ago. Yes the Lions are ridiculous to watch, but hopefully this one will be what spurs the complete turnover in the entire organization and the rest of the country can finally see good Lions games.

I happen to like the Lions throwbacks way better than the current uniforms, especially with the black accents.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I concur. Am I nuts to feel somewhat optimistic about the Lions future. Johnson is obviously the real deal and Smith looks like he will be a good back. The Lions got a bunch of value for Williams if they draft right and that brings up the biggest reason I'm optimistic-- Millen is gone! Oh, I know they have a long way to go and it is looking like this season will live in infamy, but next year has to be an improvement.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Rumors are circulating that the Lions are actually seriously thinking about the #1 pick now.. and that Stafford (QB-Georgia) is top of their list.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Nooooooo! This team has way too many other needs to be throwing a ton of money at a #1 draft pick QB. They need to start with the defensive and offensive lines.

As for the Thanksgiving Day game, it is a huge tradition around here dating back to the 1930's, so it would be devastating to see it taken away. However, considering what an embarrassment the franchise has become, I think the league should quietly inform Ford, Sr. that he needs to relinquish control of the team or the game will be taken away. The rest of the nation should not have to be subjected to this atrocious team every Thanksgiving.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I feel bad for Stafford. He could be a great QB in the future, but should not be there day 1, game 1 for the Lions. He has all the potential and needs time to develope in the NFL. He should DEFINATELY stay his senior year if the Lions want him. Going to that franchise will screw him. He will get sacked a lot and end up throwing a lot of interceptions, bad start for a career.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Steelers trounced my team yesterday. I don't see the Patriots making the playoffs this year. The Steelers had been 1-6 in their last seven games vs. the Pats. And they hadn't won in Foxborough since 1997.

Pittsburgh is looking quite good at the moment, especially defensively. I believe that they would handle just about anyone in the AFC playoffs at present (Jets, Ravens, and maybe even the Titans, although that game would most likely be played in Tennessee). I don't think they would defeat the Colts in Indy, but the Steelers playing there (in the playoffs) doesn't seem likely. That being said, the Steelers still have to play the Cowboys (home), Ravens (away), and Titans (away) in the regular season, as well as a home game against the Browns. They could end up being anywhere from 13-3 to 9-7. ;)

It's looking like the New York Football Giants will be repeating this year. Dallas may give them a game in the conference championship, but I don't see anyone else challenging the Jints for the title--with the possible exception of the Colts.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It would suck if the Falcons miss the playoffs because both the Bucs and the Panthers have been winning a lot this season. At least one of them is going down when both meet in a few weeks, which might open the door for the Falcons if they can keep winning out in December.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the Steelers will have a difficult time due to their suspect offensive line. Pittsburgh's defense has been great, but it's tough to win in the playoffs with a weak OL. I've been a Steelers fan since the very early '70's and hope I'm wrong, but would be surprised to see them come out of the AFC. Tennessee, Baltimore and the Jets all have strong defensive lines that could give the Steelers fits in the playoffs.

Patrick, your Falcons (along with Miami) have been one of the biggest surprises this season. Even with Carolina and Tampa playing well, Atlanta could still make it as the 2nd wildcard. The NFC East is slipping a bit behind the Giants, so having Dallas or Washington as a wildcard is not a given.

The Giants must really be regretting that contract extension they gave to Plaxico Burress earlier this year.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I hope they can release him. They are doing fine without Burress, Shockey, Barber and Strahan.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

You might be right about this. Had the Curtain lost at N.E. on Sunday, I probably would agree wholeheartedly. But they showed me a lot against the Pats, especially in the second half. Big Ben got all of the protection, whereas Cassell got nearly ... none. ;)

Speaking of the 1970's Steelers, I read something several months ago that astonished me. I may be wrong, and I'd have to check, but I believe I read that the Steelers, in the second half of the season during one of their four 1970s Super Bowl years, gave up one (1!) touchdown in the final eight games of the regular season. I realize Green, Greenwood, Lambert, and White were great, but that statistic (if true) is beyond phenomenal in my book.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
What is everyone's feedback on the international games ? (i.e. - the Pats/Bucs game scheduled to be played in UK next year).

The glowing comments I have read are from the owners. If I was a Bucs season tix owner, I'd be a bit peeved to lose a home stand. Wonder how the players feel about it considering the loss of a homefield advantage and excessive travel.

Apologies in advance for offending any UK fans with tix to the game
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The international games have been going on for a few years now, so I'm sure that teams are learning to live with it. Heck, here in Detroit we would be happy to give up a home game. :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Robert,

Thanks. It was two touchdowns, and it wasn't a Super Bowl year. Astonishing.

I think this is what I was alluding to, if memory serves. Five of their last nine regular season games were shutouts, according to at least one source.

"The 1976 Steelers had three consecutive shutouts and did not permit a single point in five of their final nine games, a stretch in which only one opponent (Houston, in a 32-16 Steelers win) scored in double figures. One Steelers opponent scored six points and two others scored three.

That 1976 defense gave up the fewest points, yards rushing and total yards in the NFL but was third in fewest yards passing."

'70s Redux: Steelers the gold standard for defense

Here are the results from that 1976 season. If it weren't for those 16 points (and two touchdowns) scored by Houston.... ;)

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...1976_games.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...7611210pit.htm

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Here's the support for your post, Scott:

Pittsburgh, Steelers - 1976
Coach: Chuck Noll
Conference: AFC Division: Central
Record: 11-5-0 Home: 5-4-0 Away: 6-1-0 Division: 5-1-0
Date Tm(EST) GameDay Wk R Psc Opponent Pal
1:00pm 1 L 28 OAKLAND, RAIDERS 31
1:00pm 2 31 Cleveland, Browns 14
1:00pm 3 L 27 New England, Patriots 30
1:00pm 4 L 6 MINNESOTA, VIKINGS 17
1:00pm 5 L 16 CLEVELAND, BROWNS 18
1:00pm 6 23 Cincinnati, Bengals 6
1:00pm 7 27 NEW YORK, GIANTS 0
1:00pm 8 23 San Diego, Chargers 0
1:00pm 9 45 KANSAS CITY, CHIEFS 0
1:00pm 10 14 Miami, Dolphins 3
1:00pm 11 32 Houston, Oilers 16
1:00pm 12 7 CINCINNATI, BENGALS 3
1:00pm 13 42 Tampa Bay, Buccaneers 0
1:00pm 14 21 HOUSTON, OILERS 0
PLAYOFF GAME(S)
1:00pm DP 15 40 BALTIMORE, COLTS 14
1:00pm CC 16 L 7 OAKLAND, RAIDERS 24

Kind of a shame that they lost to the Raiders in the AFC Championship.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Robert,

Thanks again! I was editing my post as you posted. I remember that Oakland/Pittsburgh game, but not the other games from that season very well. The Steelers began the season 1-4!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gary1
Recent bookmarks