What's new

NFL 2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The Lions won't be leaving Detroit any time soon and Sharp can be a tool sometimes. Ford is THE #1 sponsor of the NFL and WCF Sr. has a net worth of 1.2 billion himself, not even considering his son who will soon take over the Lions. We are very lucky here in Detroit to have the teams we do, yes even the Lions. All of our owners have deep roots in the community. I would bet Drew Sharp $100 right now that no team leaves Detroit in 10 years.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
At this point, what do the Lions have to do to win a game? Two weeks in a row now, they've taken a first quarter lead only to squander it.

Last week, it was the rushing defense that did them in. This week, it was the special teams defense.

It's like the Lions are a puzzle with pieces that don't quite fit together. As soon as you get two pieces together, other pieces fall off.

Memo to the Detroit Lions coaches: Throw the damn ball to Calvin Johnson!

If Michael Crabtree knows what's good for him, he'll stay for his junior season at Texas Tech and try for another shot at the national championship.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Quite a weekend for Jersey football, class of their respective divisions at this point. Flipping between the early games, I wasn't sure which was more fun...the Jet's domination or the Eagles debacle.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If any quarterback or top player is smart, they will stay for their last season. Getting drafted by the Lions is a career ender. Calvin Johnson is just counting down the days......and not catching passes over the middle. If I was a top quarterback drafted by the lions then I would definately be tempted to pull an Eli Manning.

And Mcbadd got benched. I've never liked him and find this very amusing.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I was hoping the Eagles would lose out to get a better draft pick, but then, Reid will find a way to mess that up. What a big mistake, trading that 1st round draft pick to the Panthers, who are 8-2 now.

But it isn't bothering me at all, with the Phillies ending the championship drought. I can live with the Eagles falling apart.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I just noticed this thread today. I wish I had known about it for the past couple of years.

I've been a Pats fan since 1967 (and Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins). I remember the days when they were the Boston Patriots. There wasn't too much to cheer about in those pre-Fairbanks days (4-10, 3-11, 2-14, etc.). I've been to Schaefer Stadium, and Sullivan Stadium, a few times. One of my greatest thrills was running around on the turf back around 1971 or so; my grandfather at the time was a police officer, so he had access to a couple of places around Foxborough. Those were good times. :emoji_thumbsup: Around our home, my son is calling Matt Cassell "The Legend" these days--LOL. ;)

The Packers-Saints game tonight looks very good; I can't wait to get home to watch it. It's currently 14-14, early in the second quarter.

Addendum: So much for the Packers-Saints game being close. That was an amazing second half by the Saints. I don't believe the Saints are that good, or that the Packers are that bad. We'll see.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
And now he's starting again Thursday. I hope Andy's there for a long time.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Does it make much sense to bench Mcbadd when losing 10-7, then end up losing 30 something to 7, then name him as the starting QB? This is all kind of silly. Mcnabb may not be a good decision maker in game, but what other choice do they have?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've never understood the animosity towards McNabb in Philly. He may not be the best QB in the league, but he is certainly better than a lot of the starting QB's in the NFL. I bet numerous teams would take him over their current starter in a heartbeat.

A few years ago I was at a Lions - Eagles game at Ford Field. We were watching the pre-game warm-ups, and McNabb was effortlessly throwing 70 yard bombs to a receiver and hitting him perfectly in stride. He looked like he was just playing catch with his kid in the back yard. We were amazed at his arm strength.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I'm not sure myself, but I guess some think he chokes when it really counts the most. Plus the fact that he can act childish at times, and very thin-skinned. And yes, Eagles fans are notoriously tough on their players. This will be one of those... you don't know what you got til it's gone!

I think the bigger problem is more with Andy Reid and his predictable, scripted playcalling, and his moves as a general manager. He loves to pass a lot more than run, but won't get a good enough wide receiver.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

True, but I've never really thought of McNabb in that same light. Jeff George was a complete tool. McNabb, for the most part, has been a decent leader of the Eagles. The poor guy was blasted by the fans from day one -- he got booed when selected at the draft!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I agree with Walter. McNabb's problem is the lack of line play and a running game. I think the Eagles have personnel to run the ball, they just don't call many runs. This allows the defenders to really focus on defending the passing game. Look what happened when Kolb entered the game... nothing improved!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Aren't there already enough Turkeys on Thanksgiving day? I think it's time for Detroit to be dropped from the turkey-day tradition.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Bleck. That was a terrible game. :thumbsdown: This debacle is going to increase the clamor for the NFL to drop the Lions from the Thanksgiving Day game as early as next year, especially given how Commissioner Roger Goodell is much more accepting of "progress" in the NFL.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was atrocious, wasn't it? I moved to Michigan in 1993, but I've never been (and probably never will be) a Detroit Lions fan. I like the Tigers, but that's primarily because I remember the historic 1968 World Series. I also respect the Pistons and Red Wings.

As far as the game today is concerned, the 53-yarder was probably the highlight for fans of the Lions. And considering what the Lions' schedule looks like the rest of the way, there really is a legitimate shot at going 0-16. John McKay and a few others from the 1976 Bucs team might rejoice if and when this occurs. ;)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Funny how that is, the opposite of the '72 Dolphins.

The NFL should issue that ultimatum to take away the Thanksgiving game unless the Lions improve.

And I can't stand those throwback uniforms.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't understand why the Thanksgiving games have to be in the same cities with the same teams every year, especially when they end up being such bad games. With potentially the largest TV audience of the regular season, they really should show games with playoff implications.

I also hate the throwback uniforms. Leave the past in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gary1
Recent bookmarks