What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (5 Viewers)

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
I second the earlier post about wanting the last of the Superfriends series (World's Greatest and the last of the "Lost" shorts) and Filmation Batman '68 (I was curious to see the New Adventures series, but it's more sugar coated than Superfriends ever was!) As for Scooby, I think the difficulty with those (barring the "missing" 8 '78 episodes and the rights issues in TNSDM) is that the other vintage series in the character's existence starred you-know-who, and WB seems to want to keep his existence as under wraps as possible. Hence the releases of segments from the '79-and-up series on other Scooby releases...that way they can trickle those out without mentioning specifics. Has anyone mentioned The Puppy's Great/Further Adventures yet, speaking of which? Just cause I haven't seen that since its original run.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
JMFabianoRPL said:
As for Scooby, I think the difficulty with those (barring the "missing" 8 '78 episodes and the rights issues in TNSDM) is that the other vintage series in the character's existence starred you-know-who, and WB seems to want to keep his existence as under wraps as possible. Hence the releases of segments from the '79-and-up series on other Scooby releases...that way they can trickle those out without mentioning specifics.
Who is "you-know-who" and why would WB want to keep it under wraps?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Received my Yogi's Gang DVD yesterday and watched Ark Lark last night. I remember this from the split episodes as part of the Yogi's Gang reruns more than the original but I did see that a couple years ago on boomerang. Since I'm not real familiar with the original the changes made to it did not bother me much. The image quality of the show is very good. with bright colors. They did a good job on the remastering. This one was worth the wait.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Greg Chenoweth said:
Who is "you-know-who" and why would WB want to keep it under wraps?
I was referring to Scrappy-Doo, as other than 13 Ghosts or Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo, WB has not released any of the seasons where he prominently features, outside of bonus episodes. And when they do, they don't mention his name on the case or downplay it...also seen in the RR/SD trailer where you hardly see him at all.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
JMFabianoRPL said:
I was referring to Scrappy-Doo, as other than 13 Ghosts or Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo, WB has not released any of the seasons where he prominently features, outside of bonus episodes. And when they do, they don't mention his name on the case or downplay it...also seen in the RR/SD trailer where you hardly see him at all.
Well, there are 5 whole seasons with Scrappy that are available on iTunes, that's a lot of episodes where you can see him!

GAMESHOWFAN

Auditioning
Real Name
gala
JMFabianoRPL said:
SCRAPPY is not in those 8, so what other lame excuse WB have for not releasing them ?

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I gave up any hope of Warner releasing those missing 8 episodes, ditto for the Scooby Movies, since the set they released is missing so many and the ones which are on there are cut anyway. I don;t get why 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo gets a release but those eight episodes don't. OK, somany it was pure marketing to link in with Halloween, but aside from the presence of Vincent Price this must represent the nadir of Scooby - most of the gang are missing, and replaced with Scrappy and Flim-Flam. Urgh.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Here's a question that was answered on Facebook from Warner Archive: QUESTION: Hello; and thank you for your dedication in fulfilling the classic animation fix from the HB/RS libraries. Are there any future plans centered around NBC's "Space Stars" (Space Ghost '80, Heculoids '80, Teen Force, and Astro and the Space Mutts) or the '86 line up of the Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera (Yogi's Treasure Hunt, Galtar, Paw Paws, and JQ '86 [if not in the format that the Funtastic World of Hanna Barbera originally aired, then as single releases])? Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. WARNER ARCHIVE: Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words of regarding the efforts of the WAC team. They are deeply appreciated. To answer your question, most of what you've asked about is in the works. Stay tuned.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JMFabianoRPL said:
I second the earlier post about wanting the last of the Superfriends series (World's Greatest and the last of the "Lost" shorts) and Filmation Batman '68 (I was curious to see the New Adventures series, but it's more sugar coated than Superfriends ever was!) As for Scooby, I think the difficulty with those (barring the "missing" 8 '78 episodes and the rights issues in TNSDM) is that the other vintage series in the character's existence starred you-know-who, and WB seems to want to keep his existence as under wraps as possible. Hence the releases of segments from the '79-and-up series on other Scooby releases...that way they can trickle those out without mentioning specifics. Has anyone mentioned The Puppy's Great/Further Adventures yet, speaking of which? Just cause I haven't seen that since its original run.
I think the New Adventures show is great. Some of the episodes (Penguin's School of Crime) are outstanding and Adam and Burt do great voice work. I really hope Warner releases the 68 Adventures series, either in stores or through the archive. Amazon has the Adventures show available for download. Does anyone know if any thing is missing?

TheGillianBoii

Auditioning
Real Name
Alec
I know some of the backlash on Scrappy-Doo and Scooby-Dum, but I actually like Scrappy, and I wish they would release his episodes/series/seasons on DVD, I mean yeah maybe he was too cute for what the show was originally about, and they needed to re-vamp the show to get viewers or whatever their excuse was about it, but come on "Pppp-puppy power!!" is classic, and I remember watching the re-runs of his show before school, and now you can't even find them really. Except on iTunes, which I guess I could buy, burn off onto DVD's and make my own set. I wish it was that easy for the rest of The Scooby-Doo Show and TNS-DM, but alas, like previous statements, I too might as well give up and hope they come on Boomerang, so I can burn them off and finish my sets. On another note, The Roman Holidays!!!! I cannot wait, I've never seen this show before, and I absolutely love The Flintstones and The Jetsons, so even if it is only 13 episodes, I'm down for it. Hopefully this means the rest of The Meddling Kids-genre shows will get released!!! (i.e. Clue Club, The New Shmoo, and Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels)

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
People still buy that false Scrappy story? They haven't banned Scrappy Doo on all products. Why anyone still believes this is quite embarrassing. He is mentioned on both the Reluctant Werewolf, and Richie Rich/Scooby Hour DVDs. He is even pictured on the Boo Brothers DVD. The only two products that Scrappy is "snubbed" is Ghoul School and 13 Ghosts. Not to mention they had clearly included him on digital releases and on random episode sets. 2 out of 5 direct releases and not including where he is on others, doesn't not constitute any mathematical "snub". WB is not banning Scrappy Doo or snubbing him. Modern-era Scrappy hate has always been mostly an obnoxious revisionist history. Scrappy existed in the show for many season and has lots of fans. Not everyone sits there and nitpicks "OMG Fred and Velma aren't there this sucks" like some people like to pretend exists as some sort of hivemind. You can shut any of those down with the reminder they didn't pull the plug on Scrappy for 8 seasons and the next show even took place before Scrappy could even be born yet he still got put in tv movies. This is not a franchise killing character. I was more than happy to see 13 Ghosts get it's release. It's my favorite HB series, and it has always had a fan base. Lots of people enjoyed it as the Scooby that had real ghosts. I see comments like that all over the place. Vincent Price's appearance was also a good selling point. The 13 Ghost series appears way more popular than any of the other Scrappy seasons. So that one went first. WHV at the time was about to send most of the HB library over to WA, their only release before that were very slim pickings of half seasons of Jetsons and Real JQ, and double dipping season sets for A Pup. The easiest and most liked of the Scrappy seasons getting a release in time for a holiday was not a shocking move in the slightest for that period. The missing seasons have other reasons. New Scooby Movies have rights, and Scooby Doo Show episodes by process of elimination are tied to another set. The others are fair game but WHV passed on season sets, however those season are quite accounted for on the random episode sets they put out. They aren't be ignored for any other reason than marketing reasons. Had they gone to WA we'd be seeing them get shots just as much as the others. As far as the Puppy, it's a mixed bag. He has shows not tied to Scooby (as does Richie Rich), but WA hasn't really ever mentioned what the plans are, since they probably won't release their other material that comes later in the runs before what ones are tied to Scooby are released. Since if Grape Ape and Mumbly are still tied to Tom and Jerry, and WHV green lighted Dynomutt and Richie Rich to Scooby only, Petey the Puppy's fate is all but confirmed to be the same.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I missed Greg's post though. The key word there is most. They said they would probably do the group shows in order. So it makes me think Yogi's Treasure Hunt may be most far down on that guy's post. If that post is to be taken as actually in the works and not just eventually, then i think we've got our 80s series probables then for this year. (or at least first half or so at least)

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
JoeDoakes said:
I think the New Adventures show is great. Some of the episodes (Penguin's School of Crime) are outstanding and Adam and Burt do great voice work. I really hope Warner releases the 68 Adventures series, either in stores or through the archive. Amazon has the Adventures show available for download. Does anyone know if any thing is missing?
I have to watch the rest, but remember the first few eps. being really corny. And yeah, now I remember the '68 series being on Amazon! I guess that might be why we haven't seen certain series pop up on DVD, because everything's going digital? Speaking of which, I assume the 1980-82 Scoobys on Amazon are in syndicated form, and not with their partner shows of the time?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
For myself, Scrappy was a series killer. I was there when he showed up in 79 and after about three episodes I gave up on the series as a lost cause. Yes, Scrappy was done as a way to re-invent the series. At the time ABC felt that Scooby had gotten stale and wanted to cancel it. They instead decided to give it another chance if the series was revamped. Enter Scrappy. I would love to have the '68 Batman series on DVD. Were they done by Hanna Barbera?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Brian Himes said:
I would love to have the '68 Batman series on DVD. Were they done by Hanna Barbera?
Filmation did the 1968 Animated Batman (Along with Superman, Superboy, Aquaman, and the Justice League (Atom, Flash, The Green Lantern and Hawkman)) About half of the Superman Cartoons, all of the Aquaman and Justice League Cartoons are available on DVD. A "Rights Issue" F.U.B.A.R. Prevents the Superboy and Batman Cartoons from becoming available on DVD. :f

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by JMFabianoRPL
I have to watch the rest, but remember the first few eps. being really corny.
And yeah, now I remember the '68 series being on Amazon! I guess that might be why we haven't seen certain series pop up on DVD, because everything's going digital?
Speaking of which, I assume the 1980-82 Scoobys on Amazon are in syndicated form, and not with their partner shows of the time?
Last I checked sell thru of Disc was still a 8-9 BIllion dollar a year business, hardly chump change. Digital downloads... much much less. Im sure we will see this series either through the Archive or Regular sometime in the future.
Im not sure why but as a little girl I didnt like Scrappy now in 2013 when I watch the episodes featuring this k9, I dont mind him so much.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Regulus
Filmation did the 1968 Animated Batman (Along with Superman, Superboy, Aquaman, and the Justice League (Atom, Flash, The Green Lantern and Hawkman)) About half of the Superman Cartoons, all of the Aquaman and Justice League Cartoons are available on DVD. A "Rights Issue" F.U.B.A.R. Prevents the Superboy and Batman Cartoons from becoming available on DVD.
The '68 Batman show is available in its entirety on amazon as a (perfectly legitimate) download. I've never heard of there being any rights issues associated with it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Must have been cleared. I wonder why it hasn't been made available on DVD? :confused: There's still the issues with Superboy to contend with. (I read it has something to do with the estate of Superman's authors. Maybe these will be cleared someday. Then again, there's a certain 1966 superhero Series that probably has to be King of the F.U.B.A.R.s when it comes to DVD. :f

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Regulus said:
Must have been cleared. I wonder why it hasn't been made available on DVD? :confused: There's still the issues with Superboy to contend with. (I read it has something to do with the estate of Superman's authors. Maybe these will be cleared someday. Then again, there's a certain 1966 superhero Series that probably has to be King of the F.U.B.A.R.s when it comes to DVD. :f
I would have thought that the legal issues with Superboy would have been settled when they did the live action series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks