What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (3 Viewers)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Andrew Radke said:
Fingers crossed for "The Flintstone Kids". Loved watching that on Saturday mornings as a kid. Also, count me in for 'Captain Caveman"!
I would also be very happy to hear and update on the New Adventures of Gilligan as well. I have most of the HB series that i wanted with only a few missing. If i could buy the old cereal then i could duplicate my saturday mornings, but Canada does not sell the TRIX, Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Apple Jacks, etc anymore. I can get captain crunch and the fruit loops, but that is about it!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I wish we would hear something about Clue Club. It won that poll and there has been nothing since.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Let's hope that Marine Boy is the whole series, rather than just more one-off episodes in Saturday Morning collections!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Someone on the Warner Archives Facebook page made a disparaging remark about releasing Marine Boy. I commented on it. This cartoon was one of the best from the greatest era of cartoons- the 1960's. I also hope for a complete series but I have my questions. There are like 77-78 episodes or so. It was a half hour cartoon with commercials. It is hard to imagine they are going to release all those, long episodes in one set. I see at least 2 releases but hopefully I'm wrong.
Nebiroth said:
Let's hope that Marine Boy is the whole series, rather than just more one-off episodes in Saturday Morning collections!

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
dhammer said:
Someone on the Warner Archives Facebook page made a disparaging remark about releasing Marine Boy. I commented on it. This cartoon was one of the best from the greatest era of cartoons- the 1960's. I also hope for a complete series but I have my questions. There are like 77-78 episodes or so. It was a half hour cartoon with commercials. It is hard to imagine they are going to release all those, long episodes in one set. I see at least 2 releases but hopefully I'm wrong.
I had never heard of MARINE BOY until the SATURDAY MORNING DVD sets came out a few years ago from WHV. I do not recall it from my childhood nor did I ever see it in syndication. Did the show air in syndication and no one from the Oregon TV market pick it up?

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Greg Chenoweth said:
I had never heard of MARINE BOY until the SATURDAY MORNING DVD sets came out a few years ago from WHV. I do not recall it from my childhood nor did I ever see it in syndication. Did the show air in syndication and no one from the Oregon TV market pick it up?
I live in the Philadelphia area and this show was on in the late 1960's. It is a lot like Speed Racer. I think it is the same people who did both? We had a show on after school which ran until I think around 8pm. Wee Willie Weber and His Cartoon Club, introduced kids to all the Japanese cartoons and live action shows at the time. Really I think it is one of the coolest and best done cartoons of it's time.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
younger1968 said:
I would also be very happy to hear and update on the New Adventures of Gilligan as well. I have most of the HB series that i wanted with only a few missing. If i could buy the old cereal then i could duplicate my saturday mornings, but Canada does not sell the TRIX, Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Apple Jacks, etc anymore. I can get captain crunch and the fruit loops, but that is about it!
Ever think about moving to the US?

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
rmw650 said:
Now, I'm just making sure of everything as this is somewhat confusing based on these two reports

WHY AREN’T THE CLASSIC COLOR POPEYE CARTOONS RELEASED ON VIDEO?

Good News! Warner Bros. will release these to DVD and Blu-Ray next year. Restoration is taking place now. The first boxed set should be released in July 2014! (From cartoonresearch.com)
VERSUS this article...http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tv-dvd/warner-archive-revives-spirit-saturday-morning-cartoons-30099

My question is this...so will these will be the Famous Studios - Paramount Popeye toons that they left off on, after Voulme 3 was released a few years ago or is this something entirely different? Would this become Volume 4 then/a continuation?

I know there were many versions of Popeye made, but the first article makes it sound like it will be Volume 4, a continuation of the previous sets being released a year from now and the second article refers to it as possibly the 1960-62 version of the cartoons being released by the Archives, or am I getting this mixed up somehow? Any clarity to these two reports would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy Popeye is coming out, but hoping it will be the 4th Volume of the originals coming out.
The theatrrical shorts are still in the court of WHV retail, while the made-for-TV cartoons are being released by the Archive. For whatever reason, the Archive's TV Popeyes are coming out before the remaining theatricals.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
As of note, while it's not that popular Cave Kids is going to be the front runner for that Flintstones spinoff hint. Given it's placement in polls as such.

If Captain Caveman is finally seeing the light of day then that only strengthens the beleive those long term fixups are going to happen (good sign for the earlier funny animals)

I haven't seen much news outside of this out of late, but then i also haven't been checking as often lol.

On the Clue Club note some info got mixed up to that person. As it did not win the poll it came in 3rd. ANd on the other WA already confirmed it is in the works. It was several months ago they said they looked to start it soon and there for should be in the works now. I assume it won't be that long of a fix up.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
As of note, while it's not that popular Cave Kids is going to be the front runner for that Flintstones spinoff hint. Given it's placement in polls as such.

If Captain Caveman is finally seeing the light of day then that only strengthens the beleive those long term fixups are going to happen

On the Clue Club note some info got mixed up to that person. As it did not win the poll it came in 3rd. ANd on the other WA already confirmed it is in the works.
On the Flintstones topic, it would be nice if The New Fred and Barney Show came out next, since it's 17 shows
is about the right size for a set, and not complicated, like some of the other compilation shows.
I guess i'm still hoping for the 1980 Flintstone Comedy show in the full versions. But given that it
has a captain caveman segment in it, who knows if WB would split it up, or just never release any
of the anthology type shows as complete episodes.

Clue Club, Captain Caveman, and Goldie Gold & Action Jack are my top 3 wanted unreleased shows.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Mark Y said:
Ever think about moving to the US?
I have lived in the United States and have friends that are american. My roots are Canadian and will remain that way. Canada changed things up with their cereal many years ago and it is what it is!. This posting is about HB as such i will not make into something else. I have most of the HB cartoons that i want with the exception of a few and those few have been spelled out. I am not holding much promise for the ones i like to see due to fact the generation that was attached to saturday morning cartoons are now in their 40s and beyond. The kids today are not that interested in old cartoons, because some view them campy. The network themselves have changed up boomerang to the point it does not look like the same boom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Boomerang

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
younger1968 said:
The kids today are not that interested in old cartoons, because some view them campy. The network themselves have changed up boomerang to the point it does not look like the same boom:
Introduce them to them at an early age and they'll apprieciate them, or just get rid of cable. I have a friend who had to get rid of cable to save money, I gave her kids DVDs of the cartoons I watched as a kid and they lapped them up!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
Introduce them to them at an early age and they'll apprieciate them, or just get rid of cable. I have a friend who had to get rid of cable to save money, I gave her kids DVDs of the cartoons I watched as a kid and they lapped them up!
I agree with your statement that kids need to be introduced early on the shows. I collect HB as they are sentimental to me as i grew up with saturday morning cartoons. I am in my 40s now and still watched the HB cartoons from time to time. I usually just pull out a set and watch it from start to finished. I am disappointed that following sets are not discussed and/or information to why these cartoons are not released. I realized some of these are not HB or there are ownership issues

1. Journey to the Center of the Earth (Fox owns the rights - there has been re-makes of the movie, but the cartoon still is not released)

2. Fantastic Voyage (Cartoon fox owns the rights - You would have thought with movie being re-mastered that this show could make it to dvd)

3. Jeannie (Jeanie TV series was released, but nothing from Sony on the Jeannie Cartoon)

4. Partridge Family 2200AD (Partridge Family rights are own by sony as such they have yet to be released)

5. New Adventures of Gilligan (The cartooon was schedule for released, but tapes were in bad shape and needed to be re-assembled)

6. Roman Hollidays (is on schedule, but imho it should have come out a long time ago as it was part of saturday morning set)

7. Clue Club (There has been talked recently about this show and that appears some hope for this show)

8. These our the Days (i love to see this show, but i have heard nothing about state of the originals)

9. Banana Splits ( i like this show just for the Danger Island piece that had a very young Jan Michael Vincent and a hot Ronne Troupe

10. Skatebirds ( i like this show just for Mystery island and robotic stooges episodes)

11. Wait Till Your Father gets Home (i love to see this set completed)

There were also some cartoon specials that used to come on in the late afternoon that dealt with pirates and/or historical events. I have seen some of those episodes under Rankin Bass, but i also think there is also other episodes not done by Rankin Bass that i like to get a hold off for my collection.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I agree that there are certain conditions that prevent kids today from enjoying some of the cartoons of yesterday. When my kids were very smaill they would watch them but they got hooked on all the Nick/Disney cable goop. My youngest is an 8th grader and will still put on Sponge Bob if it is on---and it always is.

Many of the older cartoons moved at a pace which is quite different than today. Since the 60's and 70's. the cartoons have moved at a increasing faster pace to try and capture their attention. In the old cartoons adults were usually respected and portrayed positively. Today they are all stupid bafoons who are completely out of touch. There was better writing in the past which used a more intelligent vocabulary and presumed the the kids weren't morons. In many of the older cartoons there was more character and story development. The belief today, and maybe they are right, is that kids have little to no attention span and will not sit through a longer dialog. There must be lightning quick scenes and plenty of crashes, bells, whistles, and explosions or their minds will wander away goes the current logc.

I think kids like what's new and trendy- whether is good or not. It's a shame to me. I believe the best cartoons were already made and are available to see.
younger1968 said:
I have lived in the United States and have friends that are american. My roots are Canadian and will remain that way. Canada changed things up with their cereal many years ago and it is what it is!. This posting is about HB as such i will not make into something else. I have most of the HB cartoons that i want with the exception of a few and those few have been spelled out. I am not holding much promise for the ones i like to see due to fact the generation that was attached to saturday morning cartoons are now in their 40s and beyond. The kids today are not that interested in old cartoons, because some view them campy. The network themselves have changed up boomerang to the point it does not look like the same boom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Boomerang

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Trust me--your parents had a problem with the Saturday morning cartoons you watched. They moaned over the fact that the animation was nowhere near as good as the theatrical shorts they'd enjoyed in their day. Every parent who lived through the 60s-80s has fond memories of sitting around in their jammies with breakfast cereal on Saturday morning, watching their favorites, and they'd like to sort of relive that experience through their own kids. But times and tastes have changed--today's youth wants today's cartoons--exactly like yesterday's youth wanted their own shows. There's nothing bad or wrong about today's television fare. Your cartoons were not "better," they were just yours, and you have wonderful memories attached to them. Just accept what your kids like and want. That's their fond memories being formed as you stand by. Just tolerate the situation, as did your parents before you.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I'm not really sure anything has changed. I don't think the memories that get attached to certain shows depend on what era the shows are from, it has to do with when the kid sees them for the first time. Everything you see for the first time is new to you.

The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour was very much part of my childhood in the 70s despite the fact that most of them were 30 year old theatrical shorts.
Ethan Riley said:
But times and tastes have changed--today's youth wants today's cartoons--exactly like yesterday's youth wanted their own shows. There's nothing bad or wrong about today's television fare. Your cartoons were not "better," they were just yours, and you have wonderful memories attached to them. Just accept what your kids like and want. That's their fond memories being formed as you stand by.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ethan Riley said:
Trust me--your parents had a problem with the Saturday morning cartoons you watched. They moaned over the fact that the animation was nowhere near as good as the theatrical shorts they'd enjoyed in their day. Every parent who lived through the 60s-80s has fond memories of sitting around in their jammies with breakfast cereal on Saturday morning, watching their favorites, and they'd like to sort of relive that experience through their own kids. But times and tastes have changed--today's youth wants today's cartoons--exactly like yesterday's youth wanted their own shows. There's nothing bad or wrong about today's television fare. Your cartoons were not "better," they were just yours, and you have wonderful memories attached to them. Just accept what your kids like and want. That's their fond memories being formed as you stand by. Just tolerate the situation, as did your parents before you.
Non drug-taking kids between the ages of 7-12 "want" Adventure Time and The Regular Show, or do they watch it because it's on? There's a distinct difference.
(Trust me, I know: In my day, coming home after school weekdays was the 3-5pm "happy hour" of local stations showing cheap Popeye, Tom & Jerry and Flintstones, and considering what we went through all day, I do mean that in the "After-work brewski" sense.)

I'll admit there are a few Scooby shows from the 70's that don't age well (the '69 first season is still cool), but I'd rather have them than have a passive-aggressive 80's-reffing stoner/hipster at CN tell me I shouldn't.
Did we watch 70's-80's Saturday morning because it was the only bit of sovereign kids' programming we had before Disney Channel went free and Nick went off the rails? Of course we did. No one pretended it was quality. But watching the Flash crap thrown together by greeting-card companies networks try to keep Saturday morning alive with today, we were just grateful someone took the time to create it.
And as far as vintage-HB goes, I'll put the genuine Jonny Quest up against the Venture Bros. any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Regulus said:
That's what I did. It works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks