What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (6 Viewers)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Greg Chenoweth said:
You beat me to it, Matt, but this is exciting news. Help, help! Here come the bears. Another 1970's series is coming to DVD.
Great news on Hair Bear Bunch another of my 70's series wants to cross off. Now I'm getting behind I still need to get Yogi's Gang and Butch Cassidy. Most of my HB wants are the 60's Animal cartoons now as well plus Chatanooga Cats and Banana Splits. My only must have wants from the 70's left are: Captain Caveman and Yogi's Space Race. There are few others I will probably pick up but most of my must have 70's are now out so that leaves the 60's. I don't care for 80's Jetson's either, the drop in quality from the 60's series was too obvious and drastic for me. I tried Season 2, Volume 1 and regretted it. The only 80's left that I would purchase is Space Stars and possible a blind buy of Yogi's Treasue Hunt. I'm in for the Long Haul as well and will still pick up most of the 70's shows not high on my list to show continued support, but I have to draw the line for the 80's..

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I have always been a big fan of the H-B studio and read lots about them, but my main interest is in Huck and Yogi; primarily Huckleberry Hound. I always collect everything that Huck was in, so I will indulge in YOGI'S SPACE RACE and WAKE, RATTLE AND ROLL with the Fender Bender series. YOGI'S TREASURE HUNT and YO, YOGI! are musts for the collection. I would still like to get QUICK DRAW McGRAW, PETER POTAMUS, RUFF AND REDDY and LOOPY de LOOP.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MattPriceTime said:
On the Scooby issue, i don't see how there is any confusion. If someone can understand rights issues are to blame for some then why in the world would someone jump to another conclusion for the others. Tim Conway would need to sign off just the same as everyone else. They released what they could at the time and left nine to put out when they were all cleared. I really can't see how anyone can jump to another conclusion on this.
Actually, I don't see how someone can assume that rights issues are to blame for each and every missing episode. Would WB really have put out a 5 DVD set for NSDMs that still didn't get a complete series? As for where there might be rights issues, Jerry Reed was and his estate is notoriously difficult to deal with in terms of music clearances (see the W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings Thread). I know that "When Your Hot Your Hot" appeared in the Jerry Reed NSDM. I imagine that that song was not readily clearable. The Addams Family are copyrighted characters and cannot be reproduced without permission. However, I don't think that a studio has to have the permission of every actor who appeared on a television show made forty years ago to put the episode out on DVD absent a contract provision to the contrary.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Actually, they most likely do have to; when the cartoon version of Ghostbusters was on TV, all of the characters had to be changed from what they look like in the movie because they just couldn't use the faces of the original actors willy-nilly when they weren't voicing the characters on the show. It's just common basic courtesy.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sky Captain said:
Actually, they most likely do have to; when the cartoon version of Ghostbusters was on TV, all of the characters had to be changed from what they look like in the movie because they just couldn't use the faces of the original actors willy-nilly when they weren't voicing the characters on the show. It's just common basic courtesy.
When was common courtesy the rule in Hollywood? All of the guest stars on the NSDMs voiced their own roles (other than Laurel and Hardy and The Three Stooges the episodes for which were released). They were paid actors. If the studios had to get permission of every actor (or even evey lead actor) in a vintage show, most of the releases we have seen for any vintage show would never have come out. Given that Warner has done virtually nothing about releasing the missing "season 3" episodes where there are not even guest stars, I don't get why people are so ready to assume that they would have released all of the NSDMs if they could.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
For shows pre-home media with guest stars. Yes that is exactly what has to be done. It's obvious they were negotiated for television in perpetuity, but language of 70s era HB has a distinct pattern of not covering that for very blatant and obvious reasons. Notice the pattern that by the 80s they clearly kept on to a lot more shows of owned characters since it's only common sense by then they had home media to consider Now if you are suggesting they left some off the first set that they probably had an easy time clearing. This could be true. As it was 4 episodes to a disc and the last one only had 3 and special features. This leaves 9 episodes that will eventually come out on a 3-disc set (or maybe 2 if they double side one then). As far as the Scooby Doo Show, if you would go back and read through the posts. Others as well as myself have made the argument plenty of times as to why Scooby sets are the way they are. This is pretty much mutually agreed and backed up solidly. Even if we don't agree with how they are doing it, everyone clearly sees why they do it. As to why we believe they'll eventually do it, it's a matter of process. WHV remains num for the most part on finishing the season sets. if WA keeps chugging out at least decent numbers on lesser shows on the library, there's going to look back and see that there will be enough market for them on at least the WA level. WA has already put out more releases from that library then WHV has so far, so yes i think we have plenty of reason to expect them to keep the releases coming and if WA can put out the lesser names, this should all the more help Scooby's last sets see the light of day.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
JoeDoakes said:
When was common courtesy the rule in Hollywood? All of the guest stars on the NSDMs voiced their own roles (other than Laurel and Hardy and The Three Stooges the episodes for which were released). They were paid actors. If the studios had to get permission of every actor (or even evey lead actor) in a vintage show, most of the releases we have seen for any vintage show would never have come out. Given that Warner has done virtually nothing about releasing the missing "season 3" episodes where there are not even guest stars, I don't get why people are so ready to assume that they would have released all of the NSDMs if they could.
Copyright issues aren't exactly as you describe. Contract law is the key point, which spells out specifically what and who owns the rights to what. Do stars retain the rights of their likeness? Depends on the star, depends on their contract. Does the Studio retain the home video rights for the shows they produce? Depends on the studio, and depends on the contract. We have no specific information about the NSDMs episodes that weren't released. That said, it makes way more sense to me that there were left off the dvd because of rights issues (or legal confusion over the specifics of the contracts of what WB does or doesn't own) than some of your other theories about there not being enough room on the set, or plans to release another set later. The NSDM set clearly says "best of" on it, and i'm convinced that they did what they could to clear the rights for as many episodes on the set (for as little cost to them as reasonable) and the other episodes will never see a DVD release. Here's a great primer on the general issues on home video rights: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s31rights.html

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
That set in question also did contain a "1" on the side to indicate there should one day be another one. since back then the packaging was consistant (except on Wacky races), whole series had no number and ones with intentional consideration would get a number they carried that through on several. Barring of course the eventual rights, they should one day see release, unless of course one is a hold out forever which then it's probably going all be all 9 remaining or none, but given times change and idea are altered, i would hope one day they will all 9 be cleared.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
That set in question also did contain a "1" on the side to indicate there should one day be another one. since back then the packaging was consistant (except on Wacky races), whole series had no number and ones with intentional consideration would get a number they carried that through on several.
I have the set too. The fact is that the number printed at the top of the spine on every other box set stands for the season number, not the volume number. It's always clear that seasons divided onto more than one box set always have a "volume 1" on the front of the set, which the New Scooby Doo Movies does not have. I believe there was no plan for a second volume, it's been 8 years since the set came out. Of course i'd happily be wrong, and i'd love to buy the rest of the episodes. The wikipedia entry mentions which episodes have rights issues: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Scooby-Doo_Movies#Home_media Home media Upon attempting to release a Complete Series set of The New Scooby-Doo Movies on DVD in 2005, Warner Home Video was unable to negotiate agreements with several of the episodes' guest stars to have those episodes included in the DVD set. As a result, the DVD was released under the title The Best of the New Scooby-Doo Movies, and features only 15 episodes culled from both seasons. The opening titles on this release were edited to remove the images of The Addams Family, Batman & Robin, The Harlem Globetrotters, The Three Stooges, and Laurel & Hardy. The two episodes featuring Batman & Robin, and the three featuring the Harlem Globetrotters, were later repackaged as separate releases, Scooby-Doo Meets Batman and Scooby-Doo Meets the Harlem Globetrotters. It is therefore unknown whether Warner Home Video will plan on releasing a Volume 2 for the remaining episodes.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I raised some issues with how YOGI'S ARK LARK was presented on the just-released YOGI'S GANG DVD set. Warner Archive was kind enough to send me this e-mail on the issues: Your attention to detail and memory is commendable - the answer to your query in re "Ark Lark" is, without going to far into technical matters, as follows. The version that you see on Boomerang is run off a 1" videotape master, made over twenty years ago from an already faded print. We remastered from interpositives made from the original camera negs, said negs having been re-conformed to suit the Ark Lark recut. Given that we wished to present the Gang looking their best throughout, and the differences between the two were relatively minor, we went with the best possible source material. Which includes such items as the end credit title music, as not every element from every show was preserved through recuts and transfers of ownership before entering the Warner Bros. library. We try to work from the best quality original generation materials as possible, emphasis on "as possible."
The bottom line is that Warner Archive gave us the best possible version of YOGI'S ARK LARK that they could put together with the best elements that they had to work with. Maybe someday we'll get the original uncut version. It's interesting that the next H-B release will probably be HELP! IT'S THE HAIR BEAR BUNCH. There was a Bumper Edition videocassette release of HAIR BEAR BUNCH in Europe in the 1990's and on it was an original uncut version of YOGI'S ARK LARK. I don't know why they put it on that set, but they did.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Greg Chenoweth said:
I raised some issues with how YOGI'S ARK LARK was presented on the just-released YOGI'S GANG DVD set. Warner Archive was kind enough to send me this e-mail on the issues: Your attention to detail and memory is commendable - the answer to your query in re "Ark Lark" is, without going to far into technical matters, as follows. The version that you see on Boomerang is run off a 1" videotape master, made over twenty years ago from an already faded print. We remastered from interpositives made from the original camera negs, said negs having been re-conformed to suit the Ark Lark recut. Given that we wished to present the Gang looking their best throughout, and the differences between the two were relatively minor, we went with the best possible source material. Which includes such items as the end credit title music, as not every element from every show was preserved through recuts and transfers of ownership before entering the Warner Bros. library. We try to work from the best quality original generation materials as possible, emphasis on "as possible."
The bottom line is that Warner Archive gave us the best possible version of YOGI'S ARK LARK that they could put together with the best elements that they had to work with. Maybe someday we'll get the original uncut version. It's interesting that the next H-B release will probably be HELP! IT'S THE HAIR BEAR BUNCH. There was a Bumper Edition videocassette release of HAIR BEAR BUNCH in Europe in the 1990's and on it was an original uncut version of YOGI'S ARK LARK. I don't know why they put it on that set, but they did.
Well, at least we got some "new" (or long-unseen) footage out of it (the opening scene from the re-edited "Part 1" half-hour). If it had been up to me -- and this discussion is the first I've learned that they had different footage, I had no memory of that at all -- I'd have included both versions, because a "complete series" of Yogi's Gang would have to include both of the re-cut halves of Yogi's Ark Lark, since that's how it was presented as part of that show. And I would have added the original one-hour cut as an extra. Funny how I remember seeing the two "parts" of Ark Lark listed at the end in episode guide listings for Yogi's Gang. I would have assumed they would have kicked off the series with it. But now that I've seen it with the prologue where they're reminiscing about how they got on the ark in the first place, it makes more sense as a series finale. Anyway, I'm glad to have it. I guess we can chalk up another frustration for the beating the Hanna-Barbera library has taken over the years, with more stuff being lost or misplaced every time the collection changes hands.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Mark Y said:
Well, at least we got some "new" (or long-unseen) footage out of it (the opening scene from the re-edited "Part 1" half-hour). If it had been up to me -- and this discussion is the first I've learned that they had different footage, I had no memory of that at all -- I'd have included both versions, because a "complete series" of Yogi's Gang would have to include both of the re-cut halves of Yogi's Ark Lark, since that's how it was presented as part of that show. And I would have added the original one-hour cut as an extra. Funny how I remember seeing the two "parts" of Ark Lark listed at the end in episode guide listings for Yogi's Gang. I would have assumed they would have kicked off the series with it. But now that I've seen it with the prologue where they're reminiscing about how they got on the ark in the first place, it makes more sense as a series finale. Anyway, I'm glad to have it. I guess we can chalk up another frustration for the beating the Hanna-Barbera library has taken over the years, with more stuff being lost or misplaced every time the collection changes hands.
I tried to lobby Warner Archive, through Facebook posts, to present both versions of ARK LARK on the YOGI'S GANG set. It would have been the best of all worlds.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
JoeDoakes said:
I know that "When Your Hot Your Hot" appeared in the Jerry Reed NSDM. I imagine that that song was not readily clearable.
Ok, I'm a little confused about this episode. I have the episode taped off Boomerrang and the song 'When You're Hot, You're Hot' doesn't appear in the episode they aired. It contains a song called 'Little Mary Sunlight.' The only reference to 'When You're Hot' is at the end of the episode after Jerry's concert and Shaggy and Scooby are singing 'When You're Hot.' Did the song originally appear in the episode when it originally aired on CBS in '72 and later changed to 'Little Mary Sunlight' for syndication? Being that this is an animated show it is very hard to read Jerry's lips to see what he is actually singing.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
On a side note atleast Walmart is offering a special on the new Scooby feature. it comes with a re-labeled disc 1 from the Scooby Doo;/Dynomutt Hour as a bonus. I really hope this makes our conclusions right, that if this sells well we may get a Scooby Doo Dynomutt set come out that would contain their respective Season 2s.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Brian Himes said:
Ok, I'm a little confused about this episode. I have the episode taped off Boomerrang and the song 'When You're Hot, You're Hot' doesn't appear in the episode they aired. It contains a song called 'Little Mary Sunlight.' The only reference to 'When You're Hot' is at the end of the episode after Jerry's concert and Shaggy and Scooby are singing 'When You're Hot.' Did the song originally appear in the episode when it originally aired on CBS in '72 and later changed to 'Little Mary Sunlight' for syndication? Being that this is an animated show it is very hard to read Jerry's lips to see what he is actually singing.
The part with Scooby and Shaggy singing When Your Hot You're Hot is what I remember, but it is a copyrighted song written by Jerry Reed and so even that part has to be cleared (or deleted). This general issue has come up in other threads when someone sang a single line of a song and it was edited out.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
JoeDoakes said:
The part with Scooby and Shaggy singing When Your Hot You're Hot is what I remember, but it is a copyrighted song written by Jerry Reed and so even that part has to be cleared (or deleted). This general issue has come up in other threads when someone sang a single line of a song and it was edited out.
Ok, then that makes sense. I thought the entire song performed by Jerry appeared in the episode. So, the version of the episode that I have is as it first aired. Thanks.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
On a side note atleast Walmart is offering a special on the new Scooby feature. it comes with a re-labeled disc 1 from the Scooby Doo;/Dynomutt Hour as a bonus.
Is that the Blue Falcon movie?

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
derosa said:
Is that the Blue Falcon movie?
Yes the new meta Scooby/Blue Falcon Movie. It comes with the movie disc and then what was originally disc one on the Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Hour set. If there was ever a window for WHV to see a set with those missing seasons as viable, this set selling well is it.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
Yes the new meta Scooby/Blue Falcon Movie. It comes with the movie disc and then what was originally disc one on the Scooby Doo/Dynomutt Hour set.
That's kinda weird that the bonus episodes aren't what the WB site is saying, three 80s shorts: * Comic Book Caper * Reflections in a Ghoulish Eye * The Scooby Coupe http://www.wbshop.com/product/scoobydoo+and+the+mask+of+the+blue+falcon+bluray+1000302636.do http://scoobydoo.wikia.com/wiki/Comic_Book_Caper http://scoobydoo.wikia.com/wiki/Reflections_In_A_Ghoulish_Eye http://scoobydoo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Scooby_Coupe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks