What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (4 Viewers)

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
top cat DVD set has many defects. some series has moving pictures, maybe becourse of the film moving itself, who knows, but personally for me - its not quality as the remastered version!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Top Cat was rumored as a strong possibility when the Jetsons was announced as it was another Prime Time show and only 1 season.
I remember when the original DVD of that series was being prepared, WB was asking fans of the series to donate any 16mm copies for restoration.

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Just wow... I might be guessing, at the time, because of the Screen Gems references?

~Ben

I think what I recall is they wouldn't use them because they didn't have ALL of them. Union related stuff. So they compiled the names into a "gang credit" for the whole series, but even then they screwed up and didn't get all the names in!

According to Earl Kress, lawyers also insisted on splitting the "Wacky Races" shows into 34 individual cartoons, each with the show opening and closing, rather than in the form of 17 half-hours as originally shown. !?!?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I think what I recall is they wouldn't use them because they didn't have ALL of them. Union related stuff. So they compiled the names into a "gang credit" for the whole series, but even then they screwed up and didn't get all the names in!

According to Earl Kress, lawyers also insisted on splitting the "Wacky Races" shows into 34 individual cartoons, each with the show opening and closing, rather than in the form of 17 half-hours as originally shown. !?!?
It was indeed quite a task as it was!

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
If Yogi's Space Race and Galaxy Goof-Ups were ever to be released on DVD (meaning, all at once), then that would mean it would be arranged like this...

DVD 1:
1. show 1, 9/9/78 (90-minute format)
2. show 2, 9/16/78
3. show 3, 9/23/78

DVD 2:
4. show 4, 9/30/78
5. show 5, 10/7/78
6. show 6, 10/14/78

DVD 3:
7. show 7, 10/21/78
8. show 8. 10/28/78

DVD 4:
9. show 9, 11/4/78 (1 hour long from this episode on)
10. show 10, 11/11/78
11. show 11, 11/18/78

DVD 5:
12. show 12, 11/25/78
13. show 13, 12/2/78

DVD 6 (the remaining five Galaxy Goof-Ups half-hours that aired independent of Yogi's Space Race):
1. episode 9, 11/4/78
2. episode 10, 11/11/78
3. episode 11, 11/18/78
4. episode 12, 11/25/78
5. episode 13, 12/2/78

~Ben

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If Yogi's Space Race and Galaxy Goof-Ups were ever to be released on DVD (meaning, all at once), then that would mean it would be arranged like this...

DVD 1:
1. show 1, 9/9/78 (90-minute format)
2. show 2, 9/16/78
3. show 3, 9/23/78

DVD 2:
4. show 4, 9/30/78
5. show 5, 10/7/78
6. show 6, 10/14/78

DVD 3:
7. show 7, 10/21/78
8. show 8. 10/28/78

DVD 4:
9. show 9, 11/4/78 (1 hour long from this episode on)
10. show 10, 11/11/78
11. show 11, 11/18/78

DVD 5:
12. show 12, 11/25/78
13. show 13, 12/2/78

DVD 6 (the remaining five Galaxy Goof-Ups half-hours that aired independent of Yogi's Space Race):
1. episode 9, 11/4/78
2. episode 10, 11/11/78
3. episode 11, 11/18/78
4. episode 12, 11/25/78
5. episode 13, 12/2/78

~Ben

Since there are 13 of each show and it was originally intended to be shown as 13 complete 90 minute shows before they split it up after 8 episodes. It makes more sense to release it as 13 complete shows and would be less complicated that way. They have opening and closing credits from the 1st 8 episodes. Hopefully we see this complete next year. They have released the Space Race and Galaxy Goof ups episodes separately on Boomerang streaming but not Buford and no Galloping Ghost.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Since there are 13 of each show and it was originally intended to be shown as 13 complete 90 minute shows before they split it up after 8 episodes. It makes more sense to release it as 13 complete shows and would be less complicated that way. They have opening and closing credits from the 1st 8 episodes. Hopefully we see this complete next year. They have released the Space Race and Galaxy Goof ups episodes separately on Boomerang streaming but not Buford and no Galloping Ghost.

Most likely they would either do this, or just release the individual series by themselves.

It's tricky for shows that changed formats over the course of their run. I know for Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus, they "swapped" segments midway through the 1965-66 season with Ricochet Rabbit moving to Potamus and Breezly & Sneezly joining the Magilla Gorilla show. When Warner Archive released Potamus, they assembled the shows as they described, as they were "intended" to air before the switch, meaning all characters stayed with their home show of origin, just as the Magilla set included all the Ricochet Rabbit cartoons.

It's bad enough that most of these shows had their elements separated and have to be reconstructed anyway, without being complicated by format changes.

I do wish though, that the Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt set -- aside from the snafu with the opening and closing -- would have included the few new Scooby-Doo and Dynomutt cartoons originally produced for the first season of Laff-A-Lympics. In hindsight, where else would those have gone? The Dynomutt and some of the Scooby from that year are still unreleased on DVD.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I looked at the contents for disc one of my Roman Holidays DVD set, and the running time says 292 minutes (4 hours, 52 minutes) from nine episodes. Therefore, that is about 32 minutes per episode. But when I paused it, the actual running time per the Blu-Ray player I'm using read 3:19:49, or 199 minutes and 49 seconds, which would amount to 22 minutes for each of the first disc's nine episodes.

Given only 13 half-hour episodes were made, for the sake of picture quality, the last two episodes on disc one should have been on the second with the last four, to even the half, which would amount to about 155 minutes (2 hours, 35 minutes) from seven half-hours on disc one, and 133 minutes (2 hours, 13 minutes) from the six half-hours making up disc two.

UPDATE: Both discs say "292 minutes," but as we do not see the episode titles on the discs themselves, then it would have made more sense to display the respective running times of the number of episodes per disc. Disc one has nine episodes, which would be 199 minutes (3 hours, 19 minutes), while disc two has the last four, which would total 88 minutes (1 hour, 28 minutes).

~Ben

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Most likely they would either do this, or just release the individual series by themselves.

It's tricky for shows that changed formats over the course of their run. I know for Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus, they "swapped" segments midway through the 1965-66 season with Ricochet Rabbit moving to Potamus and Breezly & Sneezly joining the Magilla Gorilla show. When Warner Archive released Potamus, they assembled the shows as they described, as they were "intended" to air before the switch, meaning all characters stayed with their home show of origin, just as the Magilla set included all the Ricochet Rabbit cartoons.

It's bad enough that most of these shows had their elements separated and have to be reconstructed anyway, without being complicated by format changes.

I do wish though, that the Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt set -- aside from the snafu with the opening and closing -- would have included the few new Scooby-Doo and Dynomutt cartoons originally produced for the first season of Laff-A-Lympics. In hindsight, where else would those have gone? The Dynomutt and some of the Scooby from that year are still unreleased on DVD.
I do agree that the remainder of what you describe should be released on DVD (Dynomutt, in particular), and I also agree that it is annoying when package programs like this were edited and re-edited because of these changes over the years, in particular The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, when the first re-edit was done for its return for the 1969-70 season, which was only a change of one segment, by replacing the Three Musketeers segments with reruns of The Hillbilly Bears (formerly part of The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show, which like The Banana Splits, aired on NBC).

But I also have to say that to 100 percent re-assemble something as epic as Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics, which was in a two-hour timeslot originally, we have to look at it this way... re-runs were all over the place, even in the first eight weeks when there were new episodes for the two returning segments formerly part of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour/Show. As to the re-runs of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! we do not know which of the 25 episodes were re-ran, nor do we know the order they were sequenced in this case. And in order to really make it 100 percent complete, we must also have any commercial break bumpers specific to this series, particularly previews of the week's segments and, before the closing credits, next week's segments, which is what the All-New Super Friends Hour DVDs have.

How the series went:
* Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (11 minutes)
* Laff-A-Lympics (segment 1 of 2, 11 minutes)
* Scooby-Doo (1976 series, 23 minutes, both new and re-runs)
* Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! (23 minutes) (re-runs)
* Dynomutt, Dog Wonder (11 minutes, plus re-runs of the 1976 episodes, now split in half)
* Laff-A-Lympics (segment 2 of 2, 11 minutes)

~Ben

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I do agree that the remainder of what you describe should be released on DVD (Dynomutt, in particular), and I also agree that it is annoying when package programs like this were edited and re-edited because of these changes over the years, in particular The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, when the first re-edit was done for its return for the 1969-70 season, which was only a change of one segment, by replacing the Three Musketeers segments with reruns of The Hillbilly Bears (formerly part of The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show, which like The Banana Splits, aired on NBC).

Not exactly. Best as I can tell, the Hillbilly Bears did not replace The Three Musketeers in reruns of already existing episodes. The Hillbilly Bears took the former spot of The Three Musketeers for the new Season 2 shows.

When the Season 1 shows were repeated (after the second season finished) they still had the Three Musketeers. But they had Season 2 openings, closings and bumpers replacing the ones from the first season (see Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 2 for an example of this). There was some editing, and they'd throw in a joke from Banana Vac (the mounted moose head on the wall) from the second season.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Not exactly. Best as I can tell, the Hillbilly Bears did not replace The Three Musketeers in reruns of already existing episodes. The Hillbilly Bears took the former spot of The Three Musketeers for the new Season 2 shows.

When the Season 1 shows were repeated (after the second season finished) they still had the Three Musketeers. But they had Season 2 openings, closings and bumpers replacing the ones from the first season (see Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 2 for an example of this). There was some editing, and they'd throw in a joke from Banana Vac (the mounted moose head on the wall) from the second season.
Yes, and season two also had the 1969-70 (only) version of the "Zooming H-B" logo instead of the more common 1968-69 season version that came back for the years 1970-74.

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Yes, and season two also had the 1969-70 (only) version of the "Zooming H-B" logo instead of the more common 1968-69 season version that came back for the years 1970-74.

~Ben

By the way, the edited half-hours as shown on Boomerang and released on DVD in England have an edited version of the original Season 2 closing. It starts late, and is joined at the point where credits start to be superimposed. So the "Tra La La song" theme is edited, and there is a really jarring edit on one of the "Tra La La, La LA LA LA" lines where all of a sudden it changes keys (the "LAs" in capitals are an octave higher) -- because they cut in part of the refrain from later in the song (just before "four banana, three banana, two banana, one"). I assume this was done because there were sound effects on that line which no longer matched up with the visuals due to the editing. Also I note there are quite a few shots in this Season 2 closing which don't appear in other available versions of the open/close -- Snorky walking past the fountain, Drooper going down the log ride, a brief shot of the Goofy Gopher, and a little more train footage towards the end.

I remember seeing the "zooming" H-B end logo after this, but for all I know that could have been spliced on for the reruns in 1970.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks