What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (7 Viewers)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Grape Ape was a Favorite of Mine on the old USA Network Cartoon Express .. I am also wondering about Dynomutt I didnt read through the whole Thread but I haven't seen it on amazon . I have gotten Help Its the Hair Bear bunch, Speed Buggy, Clue Club and JabberJaw from Amazon. All were MOD Releases IIRC

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Grape Ape was a Favorite of Mine on the old USA Network Cartoon Express .. I am also wondering about Dynomutt I didnt read through the whole Thread but I haven't seen it on amazon . I have gotten Help Its the Hair Bear bunch, Speed Buggy, Clue Club and JabberJaw from Amazon. All were MOD Releases IIRC

Dynomutt was mostly released years ago as part of "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour." But the last four two-part cartoons (originally shown on "Laff-A-Lympics") were not included, nor were the eight new Scooby-Doo cartoons produced that year.

Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall Fish
was looking today the Lippy the lion DVD, Im totally not satisfied of the quality, some cartoons has different colorization in different moments of the series, end title (just like some opening and cartoons also) has Ugly white vertical stripe in the left corner of the screen!!! Im shocked why they kept this stripe in one moment and deleted this in other.. this is rediculous and irresponsible work. Im dissapointed at all
Seven months later, I finally got around to checking out and reviewing the Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har DVD set. Yes, the episodes were taken from 16mm, and the audio levels fluctuate a bit between the cartoons. It would have been nice to have captions and different language choices for the discs, too. But, the episodes are still entertaining. Daws Butler and Mel Blanc teaming up to do the majority of the voices in the toons (with Don Messick, Doug Young, and Jean Vander Pyl also appearing) is a treat. What would be your favorite characters-Wally Gator, Touche Turtle, or Lippy the L,ion and Hardy Har Har?

Marshall

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Lippy-The-Lion-and-Hardy-Har-Har-The-Complete-Series-DVD-Review

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have the Wally and Lippy sets, but I haven't heard anything definitive as to whether or not Touche will be released. Although the quality is down somewhat from previous HB sets, Wally and Lippy look much better to me than anything I remember seeing on Boomerang. Although Touche is third on my list of favorites behind Wally and Lippy, if Touche is released in near the same quality, I will pick it up.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Where's Quick Draw? Speaking of which, does Warner not possess the negatives on the actual half hour shows, such as Quick Draw, Huckleberry Hound, etc., with all of the interstitials? Did they toss them or were they discarded before Warner acquired the HB library?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Where's Quick Draw? Speaking of which, does Warner not possess the negatives on the actual half hour shows, such as Quick Draw, Huckleberry Hound, etc., with all of the interstitials? Did they toss them or were they discarded before Warner acquired the HB library?
Quick Draw and the rest of Huckleberry Hound still have music rights unresolved like many Warner TV shows.
A few of the shows they have released with the interstitials and others not so it depends on the show. For Wally Gator the 3 cartoons were initially presented to TV stations separately so that they could include them into any show they wanted to. A year or so after release they were assembled as the Wally Gator show which is the way it was shown for decades after and is how most people remember it. Warner has not been able to find decent prints of the 3rd cartoon Touche Turtle which is probably the real reason they released the 1st two cartoons as separate releases.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I remember reading (possibly from Earl Kress) that Turner had a full set of the shows complete with the bumpers, but in black and white. Then Warner Bros. threw them out.

Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall Fish
Quick Draw and the rest of Huckleberry Hound still have music rights unresolved like many Warner TV shows.
A few of the shows they have released with the interstitials and others not so it depends on the show. For Wally Gator the 3 cartoons were initially presented to TV stations separately so that they could include them into any show they wanted to. A year or so after release they were assembled as the Wally Gator show which is the way it was shown for decades after and is how most people remember it. Warner has not been able to find decent prints of the 3rd cartoon Touche Turtle which is probably the real reason they released the 1st two cartoons as separate releases.
When I first saw the episodes as a young child in the 1960's, Wally, Touche, and Lippy and Hardy were shown as part of an S.F. Bay Area kids show titled Captain Satellite. So, at least in 1967-1968 there wasn't a Wally Gator Show in the Bay Area market.
Marshall

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Lippy-The-Lion-and-Hardy-Har-Har-The-Complete-Series-DVD-Review

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I hope that is only a rumor, about them throwing out the old masters...

~Ben

I hope so too!

But what I recall him saying was that he had intended to use them as a guide for where the bumper segments would go (since they had color footage for some of them). But by the time they started work on the DVD set, they were gone. So aside from the first couple of shows (where copies of the original shows are extant) they just assembled a few more with whatever they had from that era (which would have featured Yogi Bear) and "leftovers" (such as a reel of Pixie & Dixie intros) were presented separately.

The B&W Huck open and close with the rooster sure look like they came from a tape source -- the skew at the very bottom of the screen is a giveaway.

Sadly -- I think if they existed, more of that footage would have been included in the DVD set -- and a few of the segments they used were in extremely rough shape, sourced from multi-generation VHS dubs. I think if they had access to anything better, they would have used it.

Someone (Earl?) wrote how they passed by the place where the masters were stored on a regular basis in Atlanta, then after the WB merger learned they had been dumped because they were black and white.

Of course, you never know what's going to show up. Compare the partial ABC era Peter Potamus show opening used on the Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s sets with the beautifully restored original version on the Warner Archive Peter Potamus set.

Last edited:

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Wally, Lippy and Touche running together as one show when I originally saw it back in the 60s. I don't remember that set of cartoons having a theme song that incorporated them all into one show. Each cartoon had it's own theme that would run before the cartoon and that was it. I also don't remember seeing any other bumpers or a major tie-in to Kellogg's like there was with Huck and Yogi.

Ruff and Reddy used to run on Boomerang and the quality seemed to me to be on par with the other early HB stuff that was running at the time. Maybe Warner's will put out a set of Ruff and Reddy at some point even if the material they have to work with is less than ideal.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Wally, Lippy and Touche running together as one show when I originally saw it back in the 60s. I don't remember that set of cartoons having a theme song that incorporated them all into one show. Each cartoon had it's own theme that would run before the cartoon and that was it. I also don't remember seeing any other bumpers or a major tie-in to Kellogg's like there was with Huck and Yogi.

Ruff and Reddy used to run on Boomerang and the quality seemed to me to be on par with the other early HB stuff that was running at the time. Maybe Warner's will put out a set of Ruff and Reddy at some point even if the material they have to work with is less than ideal.

As far as I know, you are correct about Wally/Lippy/Touche being distributed as single reels of cartoons without a show opening, closing or bumpers. It was sold under the generic title of "New Hanna-Barbera Cartoon Series" (to distinguish the package from the OLD Hanna-Barbera cartoons) but that was an off screen title.

They were designed to be used in local shows with a host, but could also be shown in their own time slot.

Randy seems to remember a show format where Wally Gator was the title character. I never saw that, but it could have existed. The Abbott & Costello cartoons were a similar package of individual shorts for stations to program at will -- but Hanna-Barbera actually produced a credits sequence for them. If they did it for A&C, why wouldn't they have done it for these?

Ruff & Reddy has similar elements issues, but that series also used the Capitol music library. It's very possible that there could be some of the same problems Quick Draw has.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks