Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes in Southern California in the 1970's and 1980's the 3 cartoons were only shown together as the Wally Gator show on local stations. They were never shown individually. They did have openings and closing for each cartoon. My research shows these cartoons were originally released separately to be used in different shows in the early 60's but only briefly after that. After that they were always shown together as other HB 3 cartoon shows and thus most people remember it as the Wally Gator show.
The cartoon order was Wally Gator, Touche Turtle and then Lippy the Lion. I remember it like it was yesterday as it was my favorite weekday show in the early 70's when I was 6-10. But they continued to show it into the 80's

Last edited:

HB-cool

Agent
Real Name
Dmytro
Really hoping Touché Turtle will release soon... Feels incomplete having only 2/3 shows on the collection shelf. Still hoping for Quick Draw someday.
As you can see many of the wally gator shorts are badly restired, has very dim dark picture((( so if touche will have the same, this would be still not acceptable. but its better than nothing

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
As you can see many of the wally gator shorts are badly restired, has very dim dark picture((( so if touche will have the same, this would be still not acceptable. but its better than nothing
Many of the Touche Turtle cartoons are in even worse condition which is why Warner Archive has not decided if they will release this one.

Real Name
Michael
In addition to Touche Turtle, one of the Hanna-Barbera Series that I'd like to see get released that I don't think has been talked about yet is The New Yogi Bear Show. And I'm referring to the Yogi Bear episodes that came out in 1988 & 1989. There were about 45 episodes from The New Yogi Bear Show, and some of these episodes featured Cindy. When WB released the movie Yogi & the Invasion of the Space Bears, I thought for sure that The New Yogi Bear Show would come out shortly thereafter due to the fact that that movie had the revised version of Cindy Bear. If anyone remembers the original version of The Yogi Bear Show, Cindy was originally colored blue. It wasn't until the movie Hey, There! It's Yogi Bear that the current version of Cindy as we all know it happened. Is there any news on when The New Yogi Bear Show will get released?

Reactions: Sean Thompson

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
In addition to Touche Turtle, one of the Hanna-Barbera Series that I'd like to see get released that I don't think has been talked about yet is The New Yogi Bear Show. And I'm referring to the Yogi Bear episodes that came out in 1988 & 1989. There were about 45 episodes from The New Yogi Bear Show, and some of these episodes featured Cindy. When WB released the movie Yogi & the Invasion of the Space Bears, I thought for sure that The New Yogi Bear Show would come out shortly thereafter due to the fact that that movie had the revised version of Cindy Bear. If anyone remembers the original version of The Yogi Bear Show, Cindy was originally colored blue. It wasn't until the movie Hey, There! It's Yogi Bear that the current version of Cindy as we all know it happened. Is there any news on when The New Yogi Bear Show will get released?
That, and these other two...
Yogi's Space Race (also featuring Galaxy Goof-Ups, The Buford Files and The Galloping Ghost) (1978)
Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-1988)

~Ben

Reactions: Sean Thompson

Mark Y

Screenwriter
"The New Yogi Bear Show" was not the "official" series title, but it makes sense in referring to it that way to distinguish it from the original series. Actually, the title screen in the show opening read "Hanna-Barbera's Yogi Bear Show" -- this was on every show, regardless of whether the featured cartoons were from 1958 or 1988.

Now, how do you release this series? It would be absolutely crazy to release it "as originally aired" because that means it starts out with three original Yogi shorts per show (no other characters) from the Huckleberry Hound show, then runs through the rest of the vintage Yogi shorts in sequence, then the 1988 cartoons.

Except...

When it started, every so often they interspersed episodes of "Yogi's Gang" (starting with "Yogi's Ark Lark" as it aired on the "Saturday Superstar Movie," but cut into two parts -- in other words, not the later re-edited version with new scenes which closed the "Yogi's Gang" series) and "Galaxy Goof-Ups" (but not "Yogi's Space Race" IIRC -- though Nickelodeon later ran those).

Every show had the 1988 "Hanna-Barbera's Yogi Bear Show" opening (with a re-recorded version of the theme song accompanied by clips from the original cartoons and "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear" -- which itself was not part of the series). If the show consisted of three "classic" Yogi shorts, it had the 1961 Yogi Bear show closing (the de-Kelloggsed version previously shown on USA). If it was a "Yogi's Gang" or "Galaxy Goof-Ups," it had the original closing of that series. If the show had three 1988 shorts, it had a 1980s style closing created for this series.

And then -- after it had been on for several months, Worldvision reformatted the show, adding other Hanna-Barbera cartoons as the middle segment in the show. This required some shuffling of the sequence of the Yogi cartoons.

They couldn't use the other cartoons from the original Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear shows because those were still running on USA Cartoon Express. So this was the schedule for the second cartoon in the show:

Yippee, Yappee And Yahooey (M)
Precious Pupp (T)
Snooper And Blabber (W)
Secret Squirrel (Th)
Ricochet Rabbit (F)

...unless a "Gang" or "Goof-Ups" was on that day -- then that day's "guest character" would be skipped that week.

Then, they changed it around again, dropping "Yogi's Gang" and "Galaxy Goof-Ups" as well as Precious Pupp and Secret Squirrel (replaced with Punkin Puss and Augie Doggie, respectively).

(This is how it played in Chicago. I'm still curious as to whether it was like this elsewhere.)

After the syndication run, Nickelodeon picked up the series. They dropped all the cartoon shorts with other characters, but brought back "Yogi's Gang" (this time not including "Yogi's Ark Lark" at all) and "Galaxy Goof-Ups," and added a half-hour version of "Yogi's Space Race." All three of these now had their original opening as well as closing.

So the best way, for authenticity as well as sanity, would be to present the 1988 shorts three to a show, in order, which is how they aired originally the first time around, at least (aside from having other stuff inserted in between them).

Aside from all this -- I can't imagine there would be any rights issues with these, and I hope no "elements" issues, unless they were finished on video or something.

Reactions: JoeDoakes

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Many of the Touche Turtle cartoons are in even worse condition which is why Warner Archive has not decided if they will release this one.
What Jerry Beck said was that all three series were mostly 16mm, but for Wally and Lippy they had 16mm negatives, but only prints for Touche. As a "layman," I don't know how much "worse" this would be, or what difference it would make in the presentation. I'd have to think they'd look at least as good as they originally aired (since the syndicated prints were 16mm film anyway), but maybe they are badly faded or something, I don't know. But I wonder if they have anything better at this point.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
What Jerry Beck said was that all three series were mostly 16mm, but for Wally and Lippy they had 16mm negatives, but only prints for Touche. As a "layman," I don't know how much "worse" this would be, or what difference it would make in the presentation. I'd have to think they'd look at least as good as they originally aired (since the syndicated prints were 16mm film anyway), but maybe they are badly faded or something, I don't know. But I wonder if they have anything better at this point.
What Warner Archive said on Facebook last year is because the prints were worse they were not sure if they should release them or not. They were considering doing a poll for fans but have not done one yet and have provided no new info since last year in September. They would have been released last year if they were ok with what they have. My guess is they are holding off and searching to see if any collectors have better prints of the worst looking cartoons. Shortly after WHV cancelled the announced release of the Wally Gator show in 2006 for restoration reasons I watched some of the cartoons on boomerang and I remember touché turtle looked worse than just about anything else they were showing and realized why they cancelled the release. Most of the Wally Gator and Lippy the Lion cartoons they just released look as good or better than the Punkin Puss and Mushmouse cartoons that were released on the Magilla Gorilla show set. But the Touche Turtle cartoons I saw looked worse.

Reactions: Mark Y

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
What Warner Archive said on Facebook last year is because the prints were worse they were not sure if they should release them or not. They were considering doing a poll for fans but have not done one yet and have provided no new info since last year in September. They would have been released last year if they were ok with what they have. My guess is they are holding off and searching to see if any collectors have better prints of the worst looking cartoons. Shortly after WHV cancelled the announced release of the Wally Gator show in 2006 for restoration reasons I watched some of the cartoons on boomerang and I remember touché turtle looked worse than just about anything else they were showing and realized why they cancelled the release. Most of the Wally Gator and Lippy the Lion cartoons they just released look as good or better than the Punkin Puss and Mushmouse cartoons that were released on the Magilla Gorilla show set. But the Touche Turtle cartoons I saw looked worse.
I can only wish them the best in restoring/releasing these and other H-B series!

~Ben

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
i'd rather see them release the shows as original as possible,
in kind of rough(er) condition, than see them try to OVER-restore the shorts, and using those f'd up ones for a dvd set.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Why were there a lot of good shows that only lasted one season? I have a few that I saw growing up. Most were courtesy of the USA Network Cartoon Express. Help Help it’s the Hair Bear bunch, Clue Club, Speed Buggy and Jabber Jaw.

Did HB only intend short runs to begin with? Was there a ratings issue due to saturation of the Kids solving mysteries model ? Both?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Why were there a lot of good shows that only lasted one season? I have a few that I saw growing up. Most were courtesy of the USA Network Cartoon Express. Help Help it’s the Hair Bear bunch, Clue Club, Speed Buggy and Jabber Jaw.

Did HB only intend short runs to begin with? Was there a ratings issue due to saturation of the Kids solving mysteries model ? Both?
The standard for Saturday morning seemed to be every year a whole new batch of shows. Popular shows were reran to help fill 3-3 & 1/2 hours of programming on 3 different networks. Only a handful of very popular shows like Scooby Doo got a 2nd or 3rd season and those were only 6-8 new episodes. Some characters would reappear on different shows.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
From my experience, 60s kids weren't that demanding. Sure we'd have liked more "seasons" of favorites but we were also content to have those 18-24 episodes rerun constantly too. The networks knew that so did a limited number of new shows every year while keeping the more popular ones in constant rerun, often switching networks every year or two.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I think that was the whole idea of Cartoon Express in the beginning. Run a bunch of short-run shows which didn't have enough episodes to be syndicated.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
From my experience, 60s kids weren't that demanding. Sure we'd have liked more "seasons" of favorites but we were also content to have those 18-24 episodes rerun constantly too. The networks knew that so did a limited number of new shows every year while keeping the more popular ones in constant rerun, often switching networks every year or two.
Good point as kids we usually didn't even realize we were watching reruns 17 or 18 episodes later. I remember being shocked at how few of episodes were in all these Saturday morning shows when I 1st started collecting them.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I think that was the whole idea of Cartoon Express in the beginning. Run a bunch of short-run shows which didn't have enough episodes to be syndicated.
I'm sure that was the idea of cartoon express showing lots of short cartoons but in Southern California any show with at least 13 episodes was shown in syndication in the 70's and 80's. They would run it for 6 months and then change. They had to since the majority of HB and other Saturday morning shows were only 1 original season.
I very distinctly remember watching Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch (1974) syndicated in 1979 each morning before I went to school in 7th grade. That show had only 13 episodes and I never realized there were that few.

Sean Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I'm sure that was the idea of cartoon express showing lots of short cartoons but in Southern California any show with at least 13 episodes was shown in syndication in the 70's and 80's. They would run it for 6 months and then change. They had to since the majority of HB and other Saturday morning shows were only 1 original season.
I very distinctly remember watching Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch (1974) syndicated in 1979 each morning before I went to school in 7th grade. That show had only 13 episodes and I never realized there were that few.
I definitely think it was a regional thing. In Tampa we usually had only the top name HB toons airing on local channels. Even when we did get something hopeful like the Flintstone & Friends package show, Tampa never aired the Jeannie segment. That's the one HB show I wanted and still have never seen a legit episode other than the really poor quality ones on YouTube.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasquezlane