What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'd rather The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour be on Blu-Ray than standard DVD, if we are ever to see it with the original opening and closing themes! Well, those, plus the missing 1977-78 season run that is...
2x01 - "Vampires, Bats and Scaredy Cats" / "Beastwoman (Part 1)"
2x02 - "The Curse of Viking Lake" / "Beastwoman (Part 2)"
2x03 - "Hang in There, Scooby-Doo" / "The Glob (Part 1)"
2x04 - "The Chiller-Diller Movie Thriller" / "The Glob (Part 2)"
2x05 - "The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race" / "Madame Ape-Face (Part 1)"
2x06 - "The Creepy Heap from the Deep" / "Madame Ape-Face (Part 2)"
2x07 - "The Ozark Witch Switch" / "Shadowman (Part 1)"
2x08 - "The Creepy Cruise" / "Shadowman (Part 2)"

~Ben

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I found this on the net -- Already the Addams Family episode has been released on VHS in the UK so I don't understand what or who is holding it up from being released here in the States.
View attachment 57332

why would a UK release have a sticker? on it that says "AUSTRALIA'S Favorite Cartoon Star" ????

that just shows to me, it's def. NOT a UK release.

also i'm assuming the rights overseas and or difference between VHS/DVD are different....

something that could have been released on VHS in the 90's or even 80's, might have also switched copyright holders since then, etc...

so, there are quite a few reasons why that episode could have been released on VHS, even though it's just not gonna see the light of day on DVD/BLU-RAY

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I was going by what it says in Wikipedia, that it was released in the UK--when I searched for it this is what I found. I guess Australia has the VHS release also.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've done a bit of research on the New Scooby-Doo Movies Blu-ray and DVD releases and there might be an issue for some folks.

The WBShop has them up for pre-order and you can view the box art front and back. On the back of the DVD set and the Lost Episodes DVD it says near the bottom that these are 'presented in 'matted' widescreen format preserving the aspect ration of the original television exhibition.'

The Blu-ray edition just says 180p High Definition 16x9. So, I'm not sure what that means but it looks like these are also in widescreen.

Just wanted to let everyone know that it looks like these are not full screen presentations.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've done a bit of research on the New Scooby-Doo Movies Blu-ray and DVD releases and there might be an issue for some folks.

The WBShop has them up for pre-order and you can view the box art front and back. On the back of the DVD set and the Lost Episodes DVD it says near the bottom that these are 'presented in 'matted' widescreen format preserving the aspect ration of the original television exhibition.'

The Blu-ray edition just says 180p High Definition 16x9. So, I'm not sure what that means but it looks like these are also in widescreen.

Just wanted to let everyone know that it looks like these are not full screen presentations.

Blu-ray presentation of standard aspect ratio material is always matted unless they did some new aspect ratio.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
What's odd is that the 'matted widescreen format' is listed on the DVD editions and not the Blu-ray edition. The Blu-ray just says 16x9 and nothing else. So, I'm confused as to if these are indeed in the original aspect ration or not.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
What's odd is that the 'matted widescreen format' is listed on the DVD editions and not the Blu-ray edition. The Blu-ray just says 16x9 and nothing else. So, I'm confused as to if these are indeed in the original aspect ration or not.
Red Alert! Red Alert! The ship is on red alert! Everyone to your battle stations! This is not a drill! I repeat; this is not a drill. Red Alert! Red Alert! Will these sets have the right aspect ratio? Red Alert! Red Alert!

With all kidding aside, I am baffled by it as well. I wonder if they have made these shows "Widescreen" just to appease people with widescreen TV's so they can get better sales?

Mark Y

Screenwriter

It seems to just be worded awkwardly. I think the key phrase is "preserving the aspect ratio of the original television exhibition."

That would mean 4:3, probably "matted" so it has borders when viewed on a widescreen TV.

At least I hope so!

I really wish we didn't have to deal with all this aspect ratio nonsense. As if editing, time compression and logo bugs weren't enough. Official video releases are supposed to be free of issues like that. But not always.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It seems to just be worded awkwardly. I think the key phrase is "preserving the aspect ratio of the original television exhibition."

That would mean 4:3, probably "matted" so it has borders when viewed on a widescreen TV.

That makes sense. Thanks. I think that clears it up for me.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
If it's preserving the original aspect ratio but is said to be matted it might mean it will have borders on the left and right sides where the image would still be 4 x 3. Like the way I noticed
they did on the Hart To Hart DVDs for example as well as season 4 of the Love Boat.

I hate it that way. I want the image to be 4x3 but anamorphic on widescreen TVs and portable DVD players--so that it still fills the screen. Why do they have to tamper with the original way they did the DVDs ?

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes sometimes WAC uses terms that confuse people but 16:9 on blu ray means it is matted for widescreen TV's in the correct ratio meaning black bars on the sides. It has not been zoomed in and it does not have black bars on all 4 sides as many non anamorphic dvds do on widescreen tvs.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The native aspect ratio of Blu-ray is widescreen. When a Blu-ray covers traditional aspect ratio material, it is always matted.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I found this on the net -- Already the Addams Family episode has been released on VHS in the UK so I don't understand what or who is holding it up from being released here in the States.

View attachment 57332

There is no way of knowing without seeing the relevant contracts. For instance, the 1966 "Batman" movie was released on Beta and VHS decades ago, and eventually DVD, while the 1966 Batman TV series was held up in rights limbo, all because of how a contract was worded. IIRC the movie was cleared for "other venues" such as showing on an airplane, etc., which opened the door for release in other formats, while the contracts for the TV series had no such stipulation.

Different situation, different scenario, but evidently there was and remains some legal holdup with that Scooby episode. I'd be curious to know what it is, and it sure is frustrating to get that close to 100% but not quite complete.

Also, that VHS release is from Australia, so different factors may be at play. (Wasn't there a season of "Happy Days" that had music replacements on the US release, but not in Europe?)

Besides which, I think the studios, how shall I say this, maybe they pay more attention to crossing all the Ts and dotting all the Is because TV on DVD is (or at least was) a much bigger business (and therefore much more $$$ on the line) than back in the VHS days.

It does seem curious though, that they were able to release the Addams Family animated SERIES but not that Scooby episode.

Kudos to them for releasing what they can!

Last edited:

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Every Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw cartoon was released on VHS years ago in the UK but all of their cartoons cannot be released in the USA. I don’t understand it either, just like Scooby-Doo and the Addams Family.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Every Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw cartoon was released on VHS years ago in the UK but all of their cartoons cannot be released in the USA. I don’t understand it either, just like Scooby-Doo and the Addams Family.

Several were released on VHS In the US also. Of course, I think rights to various music libraries have changed hands since then, and IIRC one of them (the owner of some of the music Quick Draw used) does not license their music any more, full stop.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Years ago I was taping Huckleberry from USA Cartoon Express. Frustratingly, they didn't show any Huck or Pixie & Dixie cartoons from the final season. But most were nice clean masters from 35mm. Then Turner bought H-B, and they showed more of them, but the beautiful prints disappeared (they appeared to be sourced from old 16mm TV prints), and most had the credits spliced out. But I managed to get most, or at least a good majority of them.

At this point, I'm ready to just make my own DVD sets. But I still don't have all the cartoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks