1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

The reason that Earl Kress (animation historian, H-B employee and H-B DVD producer) gave for the remaining episodes not to be released was because of music rights issues, like Quick Draw McGraw. According to Earl, Warner Brothers bit the bullet and paid the high music licensing fees for the Huck and Yogi sets but then when sales were "disappointing", WHV was not willing to put up the money to release any more. Warner Archive has hinted at the same thing over the years; as well as that if they were to release the remaining episodes of THE HUCKLEBERRY HOUND SHOW that they want to present it as it originally aired.

I think that these Huck, Yogi, Quick Draw, etc. cartoons are like Looney Tunes at this point: they have remastered all that they are going to remaster and that is it for the old vintage cartoons. I hope they prove me wrong.

ChrisALM and Randy Korstick like this.
  2. dawnshadow

dawnshadow Extra

Dawn
    Every Huckleberry Hound episode is on Boomerang’s streaming service, so I doubt rights have anything to do with it’s lack of release.

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  3. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    More like cost of restoration of the original-as-aired prints than anything else... and the more they rot out, it will get real tough! Also take note that the material used for the film prints was different in the 1950s than in the 1970s and '80s.

~Ben

4. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    I think the legal issues around streaming are less than DVD releases. Most of the old licenses allowed for broadcast uses. They may not have allowed for the licensed music to be captured on physical media and sold. That's why more shows up streaming than on dvd.

5. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I really wish they would amend this for physical media...

~Ben

JoeDoakes likes this.
  6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

They were all reported as restored and ready to go a few years ago. You can see that on the Boomerang prints. It is high priced music rights that are keeping them from DVD.

7. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Are these on line? I have not checked out anything on any streaming services. But the last time I saw them on the Boomerang cable channel, the Huck Season 1 cartoons were in great shape, but many of the rest were still from 16mm film prints with cut titles.

Some (though not all) of the cartoons in the Quick Draw McGraw shows (included in the Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s DVD sets) have "fake" long intros where they just tacked on the credits from another cartoon -- I think at least one of them has a 1959 copyright date in the credits, but the cartoons themselves are all from the final season of the show -- the combinations of cartoons match up with shows #41 through #44 (according to the U.S. Copyright Office listings).

8. Greg Chenoweth

Almost every episode. The politically incorrect GRIM PILGRIM which stereotypes Native Americans is absent from the Boomerang streaming service.

9. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Really? Politically incorrect censorship? Ah, what's the use...

No "bumpers," I imagine? Just the individual cartoons, right?

Greg Chenoweth likes this.
  10. Greg Chenoweth

Correct. Just the cartoons.

11. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken

Yogi's show didn't have any music to license. It used music created for the show.

12. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

And it was all released. At least all the short cartoons were.

13. Greg Chenoweth

We are still missing 13 Yogi cartoons from the second season of THE HUCKLEBERRY HOUND SHOW. Some of the best shorts in that bunch, like RAH RAH BEAR; one of my favorites.

Randy Korstick likes this.
  14. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    Yes, as part of season 2 of The Huckleberry Hound Show (1959-1960). These were the Yogi cartoons in that run...
    1. Show Biz Bear (9/14/1959)
    2. Lullabye-Bye Bear (9/21/1959)
    3. Bare Face Bear (9/28/1959) -- "Not bears... crooks! C-R-U-K-S!"
    4. Papa Yogi (10/26/1959)
    5. Stranger Ranger (11/2/1959)
    6. Rah Rah Bear (11/23/1959)
    7. Bear for Punishment (11/30/1959)
    8. Nowhere Bear (12/21/1959)
    9. Wound-Up Bear (12/28/1959)
    10. Bewitched Bear (1/18/1960)
    11. Hoodwinked Bear (1/25/1960)
    12. Snow White Bear (3/15/1960)
    13. Space Bear (3/22/1960)

~Ben

15. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

There is A LOT missing. But as far as the cartoons originally shown on the "Yogi Bear" show, they have all been released.

By the way, if you check out the YOWP blog, there is a lot of wonderful minutae about these shows. Evidently, the Yogi Bear Show DVD set includes a good chunk of Yogi cartoons which originally aired on the Huckleberry Hound show. It seems the idea was to use the last 32 so they would fit with the Snagglepuss and Yakky Doodle cartoons.

But yes, here is the tally for cartoons remaining unreleased on these sets. It's off by a few because I'm not counting the Warner Anniversary and Cartoon Crack-Ups sets:

Yogi Bear - 13
    Huckleberry Hound - 35
    Pixie & Dixie - 35
    Hokey Wolf - 28
    Quick Draw McGraw - 41
    Snooper & Blabber - 41
    Augie Doggie - 41

16. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Thought I'd mention this: I recently got a catalog in the mail from Oldies.com titled "Warner Archive Collection Spring Sale." Many Hanna-Barbera and Ruby-Spears titles are in it, for instance one show I have been meaning to pick up "when I get around to it," "Heathcliff And Dingbat," is $11.99. Most aren't quite THAT cheap, but they are all discounted (even if only by a few bucks) and I wouldn't be surprised if all the WAC animated titles were in here. I haven't checked their website but I bet they are on there too.

Speaking of "Heathcliff And Dingbat" (which was a Ruby-Spears series) -- I enjoyed watching it, and in the second season they dropped "Dingbat And The Creeps" (I remember my brother-in-law saying at the time, "Hey look, Mark, they made a cartoon about you and your friends") and added Marmaduke, also an adaptation of a comic strip character. If they released that, I'd get it too.

17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I like Heathcliff and Dingbat. The transfers are good. If you go to play all you get the shows with all the bumpers and original credits and closings. Not sure why it was only available there. They did the same thing with the Shazam dvd's the original moral endings are only available if you select play all instead of selecting an individual episode.

Mark Y and Greg Chenoweth like this.
  18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Unfortunately my #1 wishlist item from H/B will probably never be released by Warner Bros. I'm referring to the '70-'71 Harlem Globetrotters. Several companies have ownership rights (including Viacom & Warners), and I guess CBS still has rights as well, but I'm not sure who has media distribution rights at this point. I've never heard even the slightest whisper of a rumor about this one coming out, and I have zero hopes of ever seeing it remastered and released. Sigh...

19. Greg Chenoweth

I am really surprised that there could be rights issues with THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS ('70-'71) series because the team ups with Scooby-Doo have all come out on DVD. Maybe the rights issues are with the actual series itself? I don't get it either, Gary. I thought for sure this would have been a slam dunk show to release on DVD.

Gary OS likes this.
  20. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

TV Land at one time briefly ran the (original) Harlem Globetrotters cartoon as part of a block of Viacom-owned animated shows. Of course, this was over 20 years ago.