1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Hanna-Barbera set?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matthew Green, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Message #4001 of 4702 Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Bravo! Major kudos for the effort to get this out. I appreciate their honesty too, calling it the "almost" complete collection. If the Addams Family episode will not be there, it looks like it's not for lack of trying, and I appreciate their releasing as much of the series as they can release.

According to the Animation Magazine article, they also will be releasing a DVD set of just the ones missing from the old "Best Of" set. That is very much appreciated, at least by me. Who would have thought they would provide a way to avoid double-dipping for completists?

I hope this isn't a late April Fool's Day joke.

2. Message #4002 of 4702 Apr 3, 2019
    Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Does the master of the original opening exist?

Y'know though, if they do release SD/D on Blu-Ray, they really ought to add those Scooby-Doo and Dynomutt segments from the "Laff-A-Lympics" show which have been in limbo all this time.

They probably left them off the DVD set because they weren't part of "The SD/D Hour," but who cares? Where else are they going to release them? They went ahead and released "Laff-A-Lympics" itself (at least the first season) and they just used the half-hour Boomerang versions.

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  3. Message #4003 of 4702 Apr 3, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    That's what we all want to know!

I am pretty sure that the original masters exist for Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics and Scooby's All-Stars, too, because I know they used part of the closing credits from them for the season 1 and 2 episodes of Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels on the DVD set of the same name.

~Ben

4. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    I guess we still won’t get the original opening since the Addams Family is in the original opening. Unless the omission is voice related,maybe they can still you use it as it’s HB design that’s been released commercially

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  5. Pmprod7

Pmprod7 Agent

PM
    This is great news! This is why I look at this Home Theater Forum--because you never know what good new information you can find.
    I'm disappointed that the Addams Family episode is not included though.That is the main one I was looking forward to being released.

6. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

This is good news. The original opening for THE NEW SCOOBY-DOO MOVIES accidentally showed up as a bonus feature on the DVD release last year: SCOOBY-DOO AND BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD. They included as bonus features the two episodes with Batman and Robin and one of the episodes has the original opening and closing credits.

7. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Thanks for the info! I may have to pick this up. I bought the one with Dynomutt and Blue Falcon, but I still haven't watched it.

Sean Thompson likes this.
  8. dawnshadow

dawnshadow Stunt Coordinator

Dawn
    A few episodes on Boomerang’s streaming service have the original opening also.

MattPeriolat and Sean Thompson like this.
  9. Message #4009 of 4702 Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I do believe it was a big mistake that they left off the 1977-78 season episodes from the 2006 DVD set!

For that season, all the Dynomutt episodes were 11 minutes long. These episodes were all 2-part stories, forming 4 half-hours. The proper representation of that run would be:
    2x01 - "Vampires, Bats and Scaredy Cats" / "Beastwoman (Part 1)" (9/10/1977)
    2x02 - "The Curse of Viking Lake" / "Beastwoman (Part 2)" (9/17/1977)
    2x03 - "Hang in There, Scooby-Doo" / "The Glob (Part 1)" (9/24/1977)
    2x04 - "The Creepy Heap from the Deep" / "The Glob (Part 2)" (10/1/1977)
    2x05 - "The Chiller-Diller Movie Thriller" / "Madame Ape-Face (Part 1)" (10/8/1977)
    2x06 - "The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race" / "Madame Ape-Face (Part 2)" (10/15/1977)
    2x07 - "The Ozark Witch Switch" / "Shadowman (Part 1)" (10/22/1977)
    2x08 - "The Creepy Cruise" / "Shadowman (Part 2)" (10/29/1977)

Only three of the 1977 Scooby-Doo episodes are available on DVD thus far: "Vampires, Bats and Scaredy Cats," "Hang in There, Scooby-Doo" and "The Ozark Witch Switch."

As to the DVD version of season 1 of Laff-A-Lympics, each episode begins with the correct season 1 opening title (as Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics), but oddly ends with the season 2 closing title (as Scooby's All-Stars)!

~Ben

Darby67 and JoeDoakes like this.
  10. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Not much exciting happens anymore in the tv on dvd world. Events line this show it still can happen

11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Good news on the New Scooby movies blu ray. That will be worth the upgrade just for 8 of the 9 missing episodes.

12. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Second Unit

Ken
    One thing that's notable is that this is the first time in two decades that Warner Bros. has acknowledged the anniversary of one of their cartoons. They had a "no dates" policy in effect forbidding anniversary celebrations.

If this means that policy is defunct, I'm curious to see what next year will bring for Bugs Bunny (and Looney Tunes in general), Tom and Jerry and The Flinstones, as they all have milestones coming up.

13. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I'll double dip for this. I already have it on my Amazon Wish List. I'll keep my VHS tape and home made DVD of the Addams Family episode. Right now Amazon only has the DVD set up for pre-order but I'm sure the Blu-ray will soon be listed. I'll probably upgrade to the Blu-ray when it is available for pre-order.

Sean Thompson and Greg Chenoweth like this.
  14. Greg Chenoweth

You are right, Ken, it is a rare exception. The only time in my memory that WB has acknowledged anniversaries is with Batman and Superman. Batman is 80 years old this year and there is a lot of fanfare going on with that. They did the same thing when Batman turned 75 years old. In 1988 I went to the International Superman Exposition in Cleveland, Ohio to celebrate Superman's 50th birthday. WB did acknowledge Hanna-Barbera's Diamond Anniversary two years ago with all the DVD and streaming releases but it was not driven by one specific character like Scooby-Doo.

15. Greg Chenoweth

I am going the cheap route and get the DVD release of the missing episodes. I don't like to double-dip and since I already have the first DVD set then I will just add this one to the collection.

Ron Lee Green likes this.
  16. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Second Unit

Ken
    DC characters get anniversaries because DC is its own fully-autonomous fiefdom within Time Warner. Warner Bros. can't control how those are handled like they could with Looney Tunes or Hanna Barbera.

Greg Chenoweth likes this.
  17. Greg Chenoweth

DC characters also bring in a lot more money than Looney Tunes or H-B characters. I think if they would MARKET these characters a lot more then they could get some notoriety as well.

18. Sean Thompson

Sean Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    Do you know which ones? I’d like to check them out. I love the full opening.

19. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    At this point, Scooby just about has to be the biggest noncomic book character Warner owns. There is still legacy Flintstones cereal and vitamins, but Scooby's share of new merchandising outstrips all the others. They should celebrate his anniversary.

20. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Second Unit

Ken
    You guys don't seem to be getting it. There was some kind of corporate mandate preventing anniversaries of characters from being celebrated. That seems to be no longer in effect. That's why weren't any releases 10 years ago promoting Scooby's 40th.

Greg Chenoweth likes this.