What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Bravo! Major kudos for the effort to get this out. I appreciate their honesty too, calling it the "almost" complete collection. If the Addams Family episode will not be there, it looks like it's not for lack of trying, and I appreciate their releasing as much of the series as they can release.

According to the Animation Magazine article, they also will be releasing a DVD set of just the ones missing from the old "Best Of" set. That is very much appreciated, at least by me. Who would have thought they would provide a way to avoid double-dipping for completists?

I hope this isn't a late April Fool's Day joke.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
And should this set sell well enough, I hope that they can try and re-release The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour which in this case will have the original opening and closing themes, rather than reconstructing them from the respective solo show prints as the 2006 DVD release had done.

~Ben

Does the master of the original opening exist?

Y'know though, if they do release SD/D on Blu-Ray, they really ought to add those Scooby-Doo and Dynomutt segments from the "Laff-A-Lympics" show which have been in limbo all this time.

They probably left them off the DVD set because they weren't part of "The SD/D Hour," but who cares? Where else are they going to release them? They went ahead and released "Laff-A-Lympics" itself (at least the first season) and they just used the half-hour Boomerang versions.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

Y'know though, if they do release SD/D on Blu-Ray, they really ought to add those Scooby-Doo and Dynomutt segments from the "Laff-A-Lympics" show which have been in limbo all this time.

They probably left them off the DVD set because they weren't part of "The SD/D Hour," but who cares? Where else are they going to release them? They went ahead and released "Laff-A-Lympics" itself (at least the first season) and they just used the half-hour Boomerang versions.
That's what we all want to know!

I am pretty sure that the original masters exist for Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics and Scooby's All-Stars, too, because I know they used part of the closing credits from them for the season 1 and 2 episodes of Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels on the DVD set of the same name.

~Ben

Last edited:

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Bravo! Major kudos for the effort to get this out. I appreciate their honesty too, calling it the "almost" complete collection. If the Addams Family episode will not be there, it looks like it's not for lack of trying, and I appreciate their releasing as much of the series as they can release.

According to the Animation Magazine article, they also will be releasing a DVD set of just the ones missing from the old "Best Of" set.

I hope this isn't a late April Fool's Day joke.
I guess we still won’t get the original opening since the Addams Family is in the original opening. Unless the omission is voice related,maybe they can still you use it as it’s HB design that’s been released commercially

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
This is good news. The original opening for THE NEW SCOOBY-DOO MOVIES accidentally showed up as a bonus feature on the DVD release last year: SCOOBY-DOO AND BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD. They included as bonus features the two episodes with Batman and Robin and one of the episodes has the original opening and closing credits.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
This is good news. The original opening for THE NEW SCOOBY-DOO MOVIES accidentally showed up as a bonus feature on the DVD release last year: SCOOBY-DOO AND BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD. They included as bonus features the two episodes with Batman and Robin and one of the episodes has the original opening and closing credits.

Thanks for the info! I may have to pick this up. I bought the one with Dynomutt and Blue Falcon, but I still haven't watched it.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

I do believe it was a big mistake that they left off the 1977-78 season episodes from the 2006 DVD set!

For that season, all the Dynomutt episodes were 11 minutes long. These episodes were all 2-part stories, forming 4 half-hours. The proper representation of that run would be:
2x01 - "Vampires, Bats and Scaredy Cats" / "Beastwoman (Part 1)" (9/10/1977)
2x02 - "The Curse of Viking Lake" / "Beastwoman (Part 2)" (9/17/1977)
2x03 - "Hang in There, Scooby-Doo" / "The Glob (Part 1)" (9/24/1977)
2x04 - "The Creepy Heap from the Deep" / "The Glob (Part 2)" (10/1/1977)
2x05 - "The Chiller-Diller Movie Thriller" / "Madame Ape-Face (Part 1)" (10/8/1977)
2x06 - "The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race" / "Madame Ape-Face (Part 2)" (10/15/1977)
2x07 - "The Ozark Witch Switch" / "Shadowman (Part 1)" (10/22/1977)
2x08 - "The Creepy Cruise" / "Shadowman (Part 2)" (10/29/1977)

Only three of the 1977 Scooby-Doo episodes are available on DVD thus far: "Vampires, Bats and Scaredy Cats," "Hang in There, Scooby-Doo" and "The Ozark Witch Switch."

As to the DVD version of season 1 of Laff-A-Lympics, each episode begins with the correct season 1 opening title (as Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics), but oddly ends with the season 2 closing title (as Scooby's All-Stars)!

~Ben

Last edited:

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
One thing that's notable is that this is the first time in two decades that Warner Bros. has acknowledged the anniversary of one of their cartoons. They had a "no dates" policy in effect forbidding anniversary celebrations.

If this means that policy is defunct, I'm curious to see what next year will bring for Bugs Bunny (and Looney Tunes in general), Tom and Jerry and The Flinstones, as they all have milestones coming up.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'll double dip for this. I already have it on my Amazon Wish List. I'll keep my VHS tape and home made DVD of the Addams Family episode. Right now Amazon only has the DVD set up for pre-order but I'm sure the Blu-ray will soon be listed. I'll probably upgrade to the Blu-ray when it is available for pre-order.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
One thing that's notable is that this is the first time in two decades that Warner Bros. has acknowledged the anniversary of one of their cartoons. They had a "no dates" policy in effect forbidding anniversary celebrations.

If this means that policy is defunct, I'm curious to see what next year will bring for Bugs Bunny (and Looney Tunes in general), Tom and Jerry and The Flinstones, as they all have milestones coming up.

You are right, Ken, it is a rare exception. The only time in my memory that WB has acknowledged anniversaries is with Batman and Superman. Batman is 80 years old this year and there is a lot of fanfare going on with that. They did the same thing when Batman turned 75 years old. In 1988 I went to the International Superman Exposition in Cleveland, Ohio to celebrate Superman's 50th birthday. WB did acknowledge Hanna-Barbera's Diamond Anniversary two years ago with all the DVD and streaming releases but it was not driven by one specific character like Scooby-Doo.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I'll double dip for this. I already have it on my Amazon Wish List. I'll keep my VHS tape and home made DVD of the Addams Family episode. Right now Amazon only has the DVD set up for pre-order but I'm sure the Blu-ray will soon be listed. I'll probably upgrade to the Blu-ray when it is available for pre-order.
I am going the cheap route and get the DVD release of the missing episodes. I don't like to double-dip and since I already have the first DVD set then I will just add this one to the collection.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
You are right, Ken, it is a rare exception. The only time in my memory that WB has acknowledged anniversaries is with Batman and Superman. Batman is 80 years old this year and there is a lot of fanfare going on with that. They did the same thing when Batman turned 75 years old. In 1988 I went to the International Superman Exposition in Cleveland, Ohio to celebrate Superman's 50th birthday. WB did acknowledge Hanna-Barbera's Diamond Anniversary two years ago with all the DVD and streaming releases but it was not driven by one specific character like Scooby-Doo.

DC characters get anniversaries because DC is its own fully-autonomous fiefdom within Time Warner. Warner Bros. can't control how those are handled like they could with Looney Tunes or Hanna Barbera.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
DC characters get anniversaries because DC is its own fully-autonomous fiefdom within Time Warner. Warner Bros. can't control how those are handled like they could with Looney Tunes or Hanna Barbera.
DC characters also bring in a lot more money than Looney Tunes or H-B characters. I think if they would MARKET these characters a lot more then they could get some notoriety as well.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

At this point, Scooby just about has to be the biggest noncomic book character Warner owns. There is still legacy Flintstones cereal and vitamins, but Scooby's share of new merchandising outstrips all the others. They should celebrate his anniversary.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
At this point, Scooby just about has to be the biggest noncomic book character Warner owns. There is still legacy Flintstones cereal and vitamins, but Scooby's share of new merchandising outstrips all the others. They should celebrate his anniversary.

You guys don't seem to be getting it. There was some kind of corporate mandate preventing anniversaries of characters from being celebrated. That seems to be no longer in effect. That's why weren't any releases 10 years ago promoting Scooby's 40th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks