What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
i also noticed the folliowing that might be new on itunes?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/yogis-treasure-hunt-the-complete-series/id1247597268

Yo Yogi is mostly loose episodes and comes out to 19,
instead of 13 complete episodes, as should be...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/yo-yogi-the-complete-series/id1247580066

personally i don't care about these 2, i have them complete anyway, and would rather wait for dvd releases rather than itunes upgrades of what i already have, unless it's from a rare show....
Thanks for letting me know about these two shows. These are two of my holy grails that I have been waiting for.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Well, that's interesting. Not the complete series, but just the first season. And there are 16 episodes, numbered #2 through #17. I know they did further ones which ran on "Fred & Barney Meet The Thing/Shmoo" but I don't remember how many. Surely not a whole season's worth and if they aren't going to be part of this, where would they go besides alongside the 1977 Scooby Doo and Dynomutt episodes, i.e. in limbo.

This is just for streaming at this point, right? If F&B were to be released on DVD I would grab it.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
i also noticed the folliowing that might be new on itunes?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/yogis-treasure-hunt-the-complete-series/id1247597268

Yo Yogi is mostly loose episodes and comes out to 19,
instead of 13 complete episodes, as should be...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/yo-yogi-the-complete-series/id1247580066

personally i don't care about these 2, i have them complete anyway, and would rather wait for dvd releases rather than itunes upgrades of what i already have, unless it's from a rare show....

Both of these are after my cutoff (1980s) but I might be interested in Treasure Hunt (but not a priority).

The fact that these are being made available before the remaining vintage Huckleberry Hound suggests to me that the latter is tied up in rights issues. I hope I'm wrong.

Hooray for Wally Gator!

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I see Josie and the pussycats in Outer Space has been added to the iTunes Diamond 60 collection. I have been searching, but have yet to find iTunes has added the New Fred & Barney Show

Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, The Complete Series by Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space
https://itun.es/us/QA_9jb

Let me know if you guys find anymore digital releases.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
Interesting that the Wally Gator set on iTunes is not the Wally Gator Show (with Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har, Touché Turtle & Dum Dum shorts), but strictly all 52 Wally Gator shorts by themselves. Maybe this is consistent with other Hanna Barbera shorts on iTunes, rather than the way they release them as complete shows on DVD. Still great to have Wally, even without his companions though. I will willingly succumb to double-dipping by downloading these now and then buy the discs later if they contain the complete shows.

EDIT: I didn't realize that the original 1962-63 show featuring Wally, Lippy, Touché, etc. was actually called the Hanna–Barbera New Cartoon Series, not the Wally Gator Show.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Hoping we see some more announcements from the Warner Archive and the Warner Entertainment camps about releases, maybe at Comic Con. They say new to DVD and Digital. Lets see some new to DVD releases, please!!!
I would still buy Jana of the Jungle and other as-yet-unreleased shows on DVD even if my hair was gray in a matter of years!

~Ben

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I would still buy Jana of the Jungle and other as-yet-unreleased shows on DVD even if my hair was gray in a matter of years!

~Ben

This is one of the best things I like about this hobby, recreating your childhood! (as well as the childhoods of your friends and relatives) Be it your favorite Saturday morning cartoons, or your neighbors B&W shows from the 1950s, or even the Serials your parents saw at the Theater in the 1930s and 1940s You get to see what their childhoods were like, They certainly told you what theirs were like. not to mention what they had to do in order to see a show they liked be it seeing a chapter of Flash Gordon then realize your father had to forgo buying a piece of candy so he could see the latest chapter of that serial, or recollecting how your neighbor had to scurry over to a friends house to help each other with their homework (then see the latest episode of Lassie (Which, for the record was into it's "Jeff's Collie" years) Because her friend's family were the only household in town with TWO TV Sets!) :eek: We may lament about Modern TV, but on the other hand we don't know how GOOD we have it today. :D

PS As for the two-TV Household family one visited so they could see a favorite show, you can also see the show your parents watched RELIGIOUSLY each evening (Let's face it, they CONTROLLED the set), and NOTHING on this earth prevented them from watching THEIR shows! But that was over 50 years ago, today you place a disk in your player and guess what? The shows they watch turned out to be pretty good, and now you watch them on the same night you watch the show that had the misfortune of running opposite the show you wanted to watch. :angry: On the other had they too had to deal with adversity, and they, just as us often resorted to doing something creative in order to circumvent that adversity. Where there's a will there's a way! :cheers:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Interesting that the Wally Gator set on iTunes is not the Wally Gator Show (with Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har, Touché Turtle & Dum Dum shorts), but strictly all 52 Wally Gator shorts by themselves. Maybe this is consistent with other Hanna Barbera shorts on iTunes, rather than the way they release them as complete shows on DVD. Still great to have Wally, even without his companions though. I will willingly succumb to double-dipping by downloading these now and then buy the discs later if they contain the complete shows.

EDIT: I didn't realize that the original 1962-63 show featuring Wally, Lippy, Touché, etc. was actually called the Hanna–Barbera New Cartoon Series, not the Wally Gator Show.

They sold the package to TV stations in syndication under the industry insider title "Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series" (to distinguish it from other already existing series) but that title was never used on air. Despite what Wrongopedia says, it was not a half-hour show but simply a package of 156 individual cartoon shorts, 52 for each of the three characters. Local TV stations could use them any way they chose, in whatever format or under whatever title they liked. So maybe it makes sense for them to be released individually. I don't mind as long as they all come out. And in this case, there are no show openings, closings or bumpers for them to lose (at least as far as I know).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
They sold the package to TV stations in syndication under the industry insider title "Hanna-Barbera New Cartoon Series" (to distinguish it from other already existing series) but that title was never used on air. Despite what Wrongopedia says, it was not a half-hour show but simply a package of 156 individual cartoon shorts, 52 for each of the three characters. Local TV stations could use them any way they chose, in whatever format or under whatever title they liked. So maybe it makes sense for them to be released individually. I don't mind as long as they all come out. And in this case, there are no show openings, closings or bumpers for them to lose (at least as far as I know).
A different problem then arises for each of these three cartoon series under that banner: who wrote the stories? Who were the layout artists, animators and background artists?

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
A different problem then arises for each of these three cartoon series under that banner: who wrote the stories? Who were the layout artists, animators and background artists?

~Ben
You know what, that leads me to believe there must have been some kind of credits. Like for the Abbott & Costello cartoon show. Even though each A&C cartoon had some kind of credits on them -- I'd have to see it again, maybe they were just voice credits -- not long ago a show closing popped up on You Tube. It hadn't even occurred to me that there weren't any credits on those cartoons, even though each one had a short little song at the beginning. By the way, ever wonder why Wally's song is about how he lives in the swamp, when in the cartoons, he lives in the zoo?

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I don't think I've seen this elsewhere yet regarding the 1975 Tom & Jerry Show, but happened to catch this line on the Wikipedia page.
  • On January 16, 2018, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release " The Tom and Jerry Show ": The Complete 1st Season, on DVD in Region 1 for the very first time as part of the Hanna Barbera Diamond Collection.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I don't think I've seen this elsewhere yet regarding the 1975 Tom & Jerry Show, but happened to catch this line on the Wikipedia page.
  • On January 16, 2018, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release " The Tom and Jerry Show ": The Complete 1st Season, on DVD in Region 1 for the very first time as part of the Hanna Barbera Diamond Collection.
I'd be for it if it were the 1975-76 series!

~Ben

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Me too if its the original Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape Show with original credits.
It didn't specify if it includes the Grape Ape segments, but it definitely is the 1975 Tom & Jerry, not the 1980 Filmation. Boomerangs streaming service has some of the Filmation episodes including Droopy. It's been fun to see them again

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It didn't specify if it includes the Grape Ape segments, but it definitely is the 1975 Tom & Jerry, not the 1980 Filmation. Boomerangs streaming service has some of the Filmation episodes including Droopy. It's been fun to see them again
Yeah that's what I am afraid of when it comes to animation we are definitely getting lesser quality from WHV than from Warner Archive. WHV didn't remaster filmations Tarzan where WAC remastered both filmation Gilligan shows. WHV just like with Scooby Doo/Laugh Olympics seems fine with releasing the shows broken up in syndicated versions where Warner Archive will usually go the extra mile giving us original versions of the show, original credits and sometime original bumpers. This looks like it will be released syndicated followed by a syndicated version of Grape Ape which will be disappointing. I have never seen these broken up before and can't imagine one with out the other. It was such a great show packaged together. They alternated the cartoons. The thing that would be more frustrating is they released a complete episode of Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show on one of the Saturday morning sets so they have everything they need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks