What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (5 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I only need YOGI'S SPACE RACE and the rest of the Huckleberry Hound cartoons to finish out my "want list." I will probably get Ruff and Reddy and Quick Draw McGraw when they come out but all the TV shows that had Huck in them are the ones I really want.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yogi's Galaxy Goof-Ups is now available on iTunes

Yogi's Galaxy Goof-Ups: The Complete Series by Yogi's Galaxy Goof-Ups: The Complete Series
https://itun.es/us/V987kb
I sure hope they don't release it on DVD this way. They had confirmed plans about a year and a half ago to release this as originally released as part of the 90 minute Yogi's Space Race. But also stated a lot of restoration was needed so I was hoping we might get this at the end of this year or early next year. Hopefully that still happens. I hate when they break shows up. Without commercials each episode is around 63 minutes and there are only 13 episodes so they could definitely release this on 3 discs although 4 would be better.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yogi's Space Race was (including commercials):
1st part of Yogi's Space Race (15 minutes)
The galloping ghost (15 minutes)
The Galaxy Goof Ups (30 minutes)
Buford (15 Minutes)
2nd part of Yogi's Space Race (15 minutes)
90 minute show including commercials

Later during the season they took The Galaxy Goof ups out and showed it on its own and then turn the rest of the show into an hour

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Portky.png

I know this really belongs in the Movies on DVD thread but there isn't much activity there these days. But this just announced title is big news. Hopefully the first of many theatrical shorts releases by the archive.

PORKY PIG 101 (1935-1943) New on DVD
Run Time 743:00
MONO - English
4 X 3 FULL FRAME, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1
99 CARTOONS in BLACK & WHITE plus 2 CARTOONS in COLOR...
A 5 DISC DVD COLLECTION
Special Features: Commentaries on Select Shorts

That’s NOT all, folks! Warner Bros. first cartoon superstar, everyone’s favorite pantless porcine, Porky Pig, takes center stage. From his humble beginnings as the breakout star of a schoolhouse talent show in I Haven’t Got a Hat to his slimmer, slaphappy sidekick stage alongside Daffy Duck in Porky Pig’s Feat, across Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes, in two-strip Technicolor® and scintillating black and white, Porky’s ascent from rascally school gang member to superstar spokespig is fully on display in this 5-disc, 101-cartoon (plus some bonuses) collection. Presented in chronological order, with key commentaries by noted animation scholars and superfans on select shorts of significance, this tome contains all the ’toons you need to become a true professor of Porky Pig-ology.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
My guess is that Randy just wanted to make sure that animation fans saw the news. There is also a thread started by Ron Epstein in the (standard) DVD section; however, I posted there about my concern that the S-DVD section may not see much traffic. Crawdaddy responded that he will also try to make sure the information is in next week's newsletter.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Nope its Warner Brothers theatrical shorts. Neither is Ruby- Spears and Filmation but they are all usually reported here because this thread is active and most of the people reading this thread care about classic animation from all these studios.
If we need to be politically correct, Fritz Freleng who directed many Porky Pig shorts also worked on some Hanna-Barbera material. He assisted with HEY THERE IT'S YOGI BEAR as well as PINK PANTHER AND SONS.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Looking forward to this, and I hope it leads to them putting out more blocks of 100+ classic (and chronological) Warner cartoon shorts.

(Now if only WAC would finally release Vol. 2 of the 60s-era Popeye TV cartoons.)

I recently read on Facebook that Warner's license from King Features for the TV-era Popeye cartoons has expired. No idea why they didn't go any further releasing them within that window.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Since we're talking the Porky set here, I thought I'd paste my (slightly modified) comment from the announcement thread. More info can be found at Jerry Beck's blog.

This is undoubtedly the most promising development since the Golden Collections ended but, as someone who wants all the Looney Tunes released, there are several things that give me pause (without having heard Beck talk about the set on Stu's Show).
  • Restoration is not mentioned.
  • With or without restoration, it's taken five years to produce five discs. With numerous double-dips here no doubt.
  • Even with restoration, they're (mostly all) black-and-white, which are far cheaper to restore.
  • This initial collection already comes with a disclaimer on sales expectations.
  • DVD-only indicates lower confidence. It also means, since "initial copies" is vague, we're playing pressed vs. burned.
I love that more LTs are coming, but this doesn't strike me as the proper effort for them. Certainly not after almost fifteen years (!) of doling them out piecemeal. In fact the above leaves me feeling this release happened almost in spite of itself.

I may need to learn more, but right now this seems like another misstep. Maybe it's because just today, before I saw this announcement, I was daydreaming about a box set of 10-20 Blu-rays of the entire library? I dunno.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Jerry Beck himself has been pushing for this release, and more like it, from Warner Archive. The disclaimer on sales expectations was first addressed by Jerry Beck concerning this release. He is the one that is saying that if sales are good then more Looney Tunes from Warner Archive will be coming. Since he helped produce the set, he has a vested interest in seeing it succeed. Also, black and white shorts are usually not good sellers; they are more for the diehard collectors. DVD is the best medium to have Warner Archive put their toe in the water and see how these sets sell. I think this is a winner all the way around.

I am surprised that this first Looney Tunes set from Warner Archive is character specific, Porky Pig. I thought they would have released all the Looney Tunes in chronological order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks