What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I just found the official press release on the Diamond Anniversary collection. None of this is happening through Warner Archive but only through Warner Home Video. Here is the link:

https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/n...anna-barbera-animation-studio-release-diamond

And here is a "copy and paste" of the above mentioned press release:

WBHE CELEBRATES 60TH ANNIVERSARY OF HANNA-BARBERA ANIMATION STUDIO WITH RELEASE OF THE "DIAMOND COLLECTION" ON DVD AND DIGITAL THIS SUMMER
(June 22, 2017 – Burbank, CA) – Jinkies! Yabba dabba doo! Heavens to Murgatroyd! To celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera’s animation studio on July 7, 1957, Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) is releasing a comprehensive catalog of classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons to date. The 60th anniversary catalog collection is a celebration of the lovable gang of animated characters that children and adults alike remember and continue to influence pop culture around the world. The “Diamond Collection” will include over 70 seasons of the most popular animated titles of the 50s, 60s and 70s, many of which have not been released on DVD or Digital until now. The “Diamond Collection” will feature brand-new packaging, new digital content, discount pricing and select free episodes throughout the summer surrounding the milestone anniversary. The collections have begun to release as of May 2017 and are rolling out through December 2017.
“We are thrilled to celebrate the milestone 60th anniversary of the legendary Hanna-Barbera animation studio with the ‘Diamond Collection’ releases this Summer,” said Mary Ellen Thomas, WBHE Vice President, Television Marketing, Family and Animation. “Hanna-Barbera created some of the most beloved animated characters of all time. We are honored to celebrate this legacy with this new collection that has something for everyone, from first time viewers to avid collectors.”

For their achievements, Hanna and Barbera won eight Emmy Awards, seven Academy Awards, a Golden Globe Award, a Governor’s Award and earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Between the two, the company released over 3,500 half-hours of animated programming, hit television features, PSAs, shorts, commercials, and specials. Many of the duo’s cartoons were seen internationally and distributed in over 175 countries and 45 languages around the world. Whether it be four teenagers and their lovable but cowardly Great Dane, Scooby-Doo, packed into their signature Mystery Machine to fight supernatural forces, or the space age story of America’s favorite futuristic family, The Jetsons, or even the comedic rivalry of the iconic cat and mouse adversaries, Tom and Jerry, Hanna-Barbera cartoons are beloved by adults, children and families around the world.

Marketing Support:

The release of the Hanna-Barbera “Diamond Collection” will be supported by a national social media campaign and online media advertising.

The following titles are currently available on SD DVD, with additional titles becoming available throughout 2017 on DVD and Digital.

“The Flintstones: The Complete First Season”
“The Jetsons: The Complete First Season”
“Scooby-Doo Where Are You?: The Complete 1st and 2nd Seasons”
“Dastardly & Muttley in their Flying Machines: The Complete Series”
“Hong Kong Phooey: The Complete Series”
“The Huckleberry Hound Show: Season 1 Volume 1”
“Jonny Quest: The Complete First Season”
“Magilla Gorilla: The Complete Series”
“The Perils of Penelope Pitstop: The Complete Series”
“Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?: The Complete Third Season”
“The Best of The New Scooby-Doo Movies”
“Top Cat: The Complete Series”
“Wacky Races: The Complete Series”
“The Yogi Bear Show: The Complete Series”
“Josie And The Pussycats: The Complete Series”
“The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show: The Complete Series”
“The Smurfs: The First Season”

Digital:
Select titles will be available to own on Digital. Digital allows consumers to instantly stream and download all episodes to watch anywhere and anytime on their favorite devices. Digital is available from various digital retailers including Amazon Video, CinemaNow, iTunes, PlayStation, Vudu, Xbox and others.

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc.:
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution and interactive entertainment businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees, as well as directly to consumers through WBShop.com and WB Ultra.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
The reference to "DVD and digital" -- is that a reference to the Boomerang streaming channel?
No they are talking about Electronic Sell Thru. Also Grape Ape for example is available in electronic sell thru but not yet DVD. Im thinking that one would be a good release candidate.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
“Diamond Collection” will include over 70 seasons of the most popular animated titles of the 50s, 60s and 70s, many of which have not been released on DVD or Digital until now. The “Diamond Collection” will feature brand-new packaging, new digital content, discount pricing and select free episodes throughout the summer surrounding the milestone anniversary. The collections have begun to release as of May 2017 and are rolling out through December 2017."

They say 50s, 60s and 70's.... they do not mention 1980s so iIm wondering if the Warner archive will be releasing more the 80s stuff this year? (The archive did recently say more on the way from them regarding HB ). They also say "Many" (in the Diamond Collection press release) which haven't been released on DVD or Digital. Sounds like more than a few new releases then.

I have started to wonder though if the left hand and right hands talk at all over at Warner's? Didn't the archive just release Top Cat and its now listed in this new Diamond Collection just a few months later? Seems like their release divisions dont talk much, if at all?!?. Not very productive according to my Business 101 classes of past.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
It will be interesting to see what new shows comes out of it. When you figure 6 seasons for Flintstones and several for Scooby Doo they have easily released 70 seasons already so probably not much new.
The release does state "Many" which have never been released on DVD and digital. Sounds like a bit more new stuff is on the way :). We shall see. I would like to see more of the flintstone spin off series. Dont we have a few more of those to see released?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The release does state "Many" which have never been released on DVD and digital. Sounds like a bit more new stuff is on the way :). We shall see. I would like to see more of the flintstone spin off series. Dont we have a few more of those to see released?

Yes:

The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972)
The New Fred And Barney Show (1979) (plus Meet The Thing/Shmoo)
The Flintstones Comedy Show (1980)

Has anyone who bought any of these Diamond re-release sets watched them yet? Are they actually the same masterings, just without the extras? That would be my guess, but can anyone confirm?

On the off chance we do get a second (or maybe even third) volume of Huckleberry Hound as part of this line, I guess we can forget about any more bumpers, or the show openings and closings, going by what they've done so far. I'd like to be wrong about this. (They could surprise us and format them into half-hours with bumpers included where possible -- that is, if any more Huck gets released at all. And the Yogi Bear cartoons from the third season of Huckleberry Hound have already been released as part of the Yogi Bear set, but they'd probably just start Hokey Wolf at the beginning of Season 3 anyway.)

I'd love to see Ruff & Reddy, and the Wally Gator and company series. And the Banana Splits would be at the top of my wish list, but not if they're just going to use the half-hours like on the UK release.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Perhaps Warner Brother could see fit to release the following in their Diamond Collection:

The following 8 “missing” Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episodes comprised Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo Show in 1977 as segments on Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics:

• The Curse of Viking Lake
  • Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats
  • Hang in There, Scooby-Doo
  • The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller
  • The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race
  • The Ozark Witch Switch
  • Creepy Cruise
  • The Creepy Heap from the Deep

The following 4 “missing” Dynomutt episodes comprised Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (these 4 episodes were renamed The Blue Falcon & Dynomutt) in 1977 as segments on Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics:

• Beastwoman Parts 1 and 2
  • The Glob Parts 1 and 2
  • Madame Ape Face Parts 1 and 2
  • Shadowman Parts 1 and 2

I know some these are available individually on various compilation discs, but it would be nice to see them collectively released on a single disc.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I have started to wonder though if the left hand and right hands talk at all over at Warner's? Didn't the archive just release Top Cat and its now listed in this new Diamond Collection just a few months later? Seems like their release divisions dont talk much, if at all?!?. Not very productive according to my Business 101 classes of past.
I find this curious as well. TOP CAT and WACKY RACES sets through Warner Archive have bonus features and the Diamond Anniversary collections do not have any special features. I guess if you want the special features, buy the Warner Archive sets. If you don't care about special features, then buy the Diamond Anniversary sets.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Has anyone who bought any of these Diamond re-release sets watched them yet? Are they actually the same masterings, just without the extras? That would be my guess, but can anyone confirm?

I have the Huckleberry Diamond Anniversary set. I posted screen shots. Yes, it is the same episode transfers as the original 2005 set. It only has the cartoons with no bonus features. They did not add on the Huck open or close to any of the episodes.

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
Would love to see many of those unreleased show a lot of you folks have already mentioned. There are so many of those shows from the 50s to 70s I would add to my collection. Definitely wish they would finish off the Scooby and Flintstone franchises. I was in Target this morning, and this is their special display. Walmart has the three Scooby sets mixed in with their other animated shows.
HB_60th.jpg

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
“Diamond Collection” will include over 70 seasons of the most popular animated titles of the 50s, 60s and 70s, many of which have not been released on DVD or Digital until now."

They say 50s, 60s and 70's.... they do not mention 1980s so iIm wondering if the Warner archive will be releasing more the 80s stuff this year?

I have started to wonder though if the left hand and right hands talk at all over at Warner's?

Major blunder on WB's part or at least the person who wrote up this press release. The Smurfs is an 80s cartoon so technically the releases from this 'Diamond Collection' span from 50s-80s NOT 50s-70s. The Smurfs Season 1 is even listed in the list of titles contained in the PR. IT looks like whomever wrote this press release doesn't know every much about the Hanna-Barbera properties.

On another note, it looks like these are bare bones, no frills releases with a cheaper price tag. This is good for those who missed these releases the first time around.

As for the 'unreleased' titles, I wonder if we will see full retail releases of some of the shows that were released MOD via Warner Archive?! I hope they release the remaining seasons of The Smurfs as its way past due for this series to be available on DVD in its entirety IMO. Also, I hope we see some nice surprises like the rest of Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw and Wally Gator.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
There is so much opportunity with this celebration. So many titles I hope to see, my wish goes to the Abbott & Costello Cartoon Show. It would be nice if they could strike a deal with Sony and get Jeannie released. I'd think having Mark Hamill as a voice actor would give it a higher sales chance worth a little negotiation

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The sets I've seen in stores had a lower disc count than their predecessors. Flintstones Season 1 is three discs instead of four, for example, which might explain the lack of bonus features as I recall most were on the last disc.

Can anyone comment on whether playing Mill Creek has resulted in video issues?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The sets I've seen in stores had a lower disc count than their predecessors. Flintstones Season 1 is three discs instead of four, for example, which might explain the lack of bonus features as I recall most were on the last disc.

Can anyone comment on whether playing Mill Creek has resulted in video issues?

(On a tangent).

One can also ask whether the original versions of these same WB/HB dvd sets, were authored such that they were not filled to the brim with content. (ie. Significantly less than 8 gigabytes per disc side).

For example Warner dvd seasons sets released a decade ago or so, such as the first several seasons of Dukes of Hazzard, the original Dallas, Nip Tuck, etc ... where the dvd disc sides were as low as 6 gigabytes or less (ie. three 45-50 minute episodes per disc side).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a further tangent).

One recently released Warner title I purchased was CHiPs season 5. It turned out each of the discs was filled to the brim with episode content (ie. 8+ gigabytes per disc side), except for the final disc.

If anyone has purchased any of these re-released/re-packaged "Diamond Collection" versions which has less discs + more episodes per disc, can you verify (on the computer) whether the size of the data on the discs is around 8 gigabytes per disc?

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
complete show releases for

- The Flintstone Comedy Hour 1972
- The Skatebirds 1977
- Jana of the Jungle
- Foofur (is this one even possible?)
- Wildfire

would be instant buys for me.....

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
complete show releases for

- The Flintstone Comedy Hour 1972
- The Skatebirds 1977
- Jana of the Jungle
- Foofur (is this one even possible?)
- Wildfire

would be instant buys for me.....
Don't forget...
- The Flintstone Comedy Show 1980
- The New Shmoo
- Yogi's Space Race
- C.B. Bears
- Trollkins
- The Gary Coleman Show

~Ben

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
What about Wildfire?
Catannoga Cats
Banana Splits
Wait Till Your Father Comes Home season 2
Those Were the Days?

James

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I just would like the missing episodes of Scooby Doo. I don't know why Warner focuses so much on the titles of the various Scooby Doo shows as opposed to the episodes. Some years back when they released the box set - it should not have been "Where are you" but a collection of the all episodes from 1969 to the end of the 70s, barring any of the movie episodes that they couldn't get rights to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks