What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
Yeah that's what I am afraid of when it comes to animation we are definitely getting lesser quality from WHV than from Warner Archive. WHV didn't remaster filmations Tarzan where WAC remastered both filmation Gilligan shows. WHV just like with Scooby Doo/Laugh Olympics seems fine with releasing the shows broken up in syndicated versions where Warner Archive will usually go the extra mile giving us original versions of the show, original credits and sometime original bumpers. This looks like it will be released syndicated followed by a syndicated version of Grape Ape which will be disappointing. I have never seen these broken up before and can't imagine one with out the other. It was such a great show packaged together. They alternated the cartoons. The thing that would be more frustrating is they released a complete episode of Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show on one of the Saturday morning sets so they have everything they need.
This is probably old information, but all 32 of the Grape Ape segments/installments are available on iTunes without Tom and Jerry.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/the-great-grape-ape-show-the-complete-series/id1094394575

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
unless that wikipedia info actually contained a source,
i would not take that seriously for now....
EVERYONE and their grandma can edit Wikipedia....

and yeah, all Grape Ape episodes on Itunes has been known for a while, infact there are downloads available on torrent sites for those rips. but as fun as that is, i'd much rather own a physical DVD release...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is probably old information, but all 32 of the Grape Ape segments/installments are available on iTunes without Tom and Jerry.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/the-great-grape-ape-show-the-complete-series/id1094394575
The title of the show is the giveaway that it is the syndicated version and not the original. The show was never called the great grape ape show until syndication. It was always Grape Ape as part of The Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show or Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly show.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
tj_grape_ape.jpg

Here is the opening credit from the original show.
The original show format for the cartoon segments was:
Tom and Jerry
Grape Ape
Tom and Jerry
Grape Ape
Tom and Jerry

The Tom and Jerry Cartoons were around 7 minutes each and Grape Ape cartoons around 11 minutes each.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
The title of the show is the giveaway that it is the syndicated version and not the original. The show was never called the great grape ape show until syndication. It was always Grape Ape as part of The Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape show or Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly show.
No argument there. I remember the original show. I was just pointing out the availability of the Grape Ape segments by themselves.

I always prefer to collect complete shows myself, but I break up them up into individual shorts, bumpers, and titles when I bring them into my digital collection anyway and then I watch everything on shuffle. (I know, I'm a heathen.) :) As long as the shorts or segments themselves aren't butchered or bootlegs, I'm happy to collect them any way I can get them. I'm even happy to double dip if a complete show later becomes available. I'm fine with supporting the continued release of these shows in one form or another... the more complete, the better.

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
I don't think I've seen this elsewhere yet regarding the 1975 Tom & Jerry Show, but happened to catch this line on the Wikipedia page.
  • On January 16, 2018, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release " The Tom and Jerry Show ": The Complete 1st Season, on DVD in Region 1 for the very first time as part of the Hanna Barbera Diamond Collection.

The exact same thing they said back in 2014 and 2015, both of which turned out to be unfounded.

To reiterate: Wikipedia can't be totally 100% relied upon for accurate dates of DVD releases. Could be a mean prank.

Guess we'll hafta wait and see... <_<

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I don't think I've seen this elsewhere yet regarding the 1975 Tom & Jerry Show, but happened to catch this line on the Wikipedia page.
  • On January 16, 2018, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release " The Tom and Jerry Show ": The Complete 1st Season, on DVD in Region 1 for the very first time as part of the Hanna Barbera Diamond Collection.

Not exactly. As far as I know, Grape Ape was never syndicated, per se, in the United States. What happened was, ABC showed reruns of just the Grape Ape, in a half-hour show called "The Great Grape Ape" which ran on Sunday mornings for a couple of years. Back then, Saturday morning shows (on ABC and CBS) sometimes used to get repeated on Sunday mornings after their original Saturday morning run. Then later, this same "Great Grape Ape" show appeared on USA's Cartoon Express (on cable). But like I said, as far as I know it was never syndicated to local stations.

I was a little excited for a moment there regarding T&J coming to DVD. But it appears to be another case of someone posting bogus info on Wikipedia. There is someone who has added bogus DVD info on there for a whole bunch of H-B shows.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Not exactly. As far as I know, Grape Ape was never syndicated, per se, in the United States. What happened was, ABC showed reruns of just the Grape Ape, in a half-hour show called "The Great Grape Ape" which ran on Sunday mornings for a couple of years. Back then, Saturday morning shows (on ABC and CBS) sometimes used to get repeated on Sunday mornings after their original Saturday morning run. Then later, this same "Great Grape Ape" show appeared on USA's Cartoon Express (on cable). But like I said, as far as I know it was never syndicated to local stations.

I was a little excited for a moment there regarding T&J coming to DVD. But it appears to be another case of someone posting bogus info on Wikipedia. There is someone who has added bogus DVD info on there for a whole bunch of H-B shows.
I kinda include Cartoon Express as syndicated even though technically it isn't. I believe that is where the title The Great Grape Ape first appeared as I never watched any of the reruns of any HB on USA. I do remember seeing reruns of Grape Ape on Sunday but don't remember it being shown by itself or under a different title.
Hopefully WHV releases something new soon that the press release mentioned. And also hoping WA announces something new soon. We haven't had any new, classic 60's or 70's HB this year.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I kinda include Cartoon Express as syndicated even though technically it isn't. I believe that is where the title The Great Grape Ape first appeared as I never watched any of the reruns of any HB on USA. I do remember seeing reruns of Grape Ape on Sunday but don't remember it being shown by itself or under a different title.
Hopefully WHV releases something new soon that the press release mentioned. And also hoping WA announces something new soon. We haven't had any new, classic 60's or 70's HB this year.

I would like to see something announced as well. I clearly remember T&J and Grape Ape being split, and Grape Ape (with the "Great Grape Ape" theme song, which was not heard on the T&J/GA show) airing Sundays on ABC while the Tom & Jerry 1975 cartoons aired locally on Channel 32 in Chicago, mixed in with the Tom & Jerry theatrical cartoons. I don't know what was involved in restoring the one-hour episode on the Saturday Morning 1970s Volume 2 DVD set, but as it was complete and mostly pristine (aside from a missing M-G-M logo at the end and the theme song faded down a second or two early, losing the final fanfare), even including the original bumpers, that would suggest to me that if they're going to eventually release it, why would the shows be split up? It looks like the master elements (against all odds) are intact, that's what I'm saying. Unless T&J are the domain of WHV and Grape Ape gets handed off to WAC.

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I would like to see something announced as well. I clearly remember T&J and Grape Ape being split, and Grape Ape (with the "Great Grape Ape" theme song, which was not heard on the T&J/GA show) airing Sundays on ABC while the Tom & Jerry 1975 cartoons aired locally on Channel 32 in Chicago, mixed in with the Tom & Jerry theatrical cartoons. I don't know what was involved in restoring the one-hour episode on the Saturday Morning 1970s Volume 2 DVD set, but as it was complete and mostly pristine (aside from a missing M-G-M logo at the end and the theme song faded down a second or two early, losing the final fanfare), even including the original bumpers, that would suggest to me that if they're going to eventually release it, why would the shows be split up? It looks like the master elements (against all odds) are intact, that's what I'm saying. Unless T&J are the domain of WHV and Grape Ape gets handed off to WAC.

It feels like WAC has really let us down this year.

Last edited:

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
The exact same thing they said back in 2014 and 2015, both of which turned out to be unfounded.

To reiterate: Wikipedia can't be totally 100% relied upon for accurate dates of DVD releases. Could be a mean prank.

Guess we'll hafta wait and see... <_<
I am pretty sure everybody on the board understands how Wikipedia works

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean

What were the some of the other titles given that bogus information, I have searched Wikipedia for many HB titles and Tom and Jerry was the only one I saw with a notice about a diamond collection release

Mark Y

Screenwriter
What were the some of the other titles given that bogus information, I have searched Wikipedia for many HB titles and Tom and Jerry was the only one I saw with a notice about a diamond collection release

I don't specifically remember, but it seems like years ago certain shows had bogus release info added to their Wikipedia pages, just like the recent Tom & Jerry one, very authoritatively stating the show was to be released on a specific date which turned out to not be true. I think these were called out as bogus and a particular "editor" had been adding them as some kind of "wishful thinking." But it's been years. I think they involved shows that have since come out through WAC like Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks