What's new

Newbie questions - HELP (1 Viewer)

Pete N

Auditioning
I at last heard the magic words from the wife the other day: "Isn't it about time we get a DVD player?" I have been researching DVD players for a while and it is amazing to see the battles between comparables (e.g., Panasonic and JVC). Some questions:
1. Some have complained about JVC's picture quality when showing "video" material relative to film. The most recent issue of consumer reports even noted it. What is the difference between video and film? Is it the way the DVD was recorded? How do I know what material is video and what is film?
2. I will probably not have a digital TV for a while so, although I plan on getting a progressive player, I would be more concerned with interlaced quality. I have seen few comments on what the best $200-300 player for NON-DIGITAL output is. Any comments or links to threads I missed?
3. I could probably swing the extra $$ for a DVD-A player. What are people's thoughts on DVD-A? Are those buying non DVD-A players planning on buying a new DVD player later that supports it, getting a CD player that supports it, or not even caring because the DVD-A and SACD battle is not over yet?
4. When you go to CC or BB, they pop in DVDs with film trailers on them from many of the latest films. Are these "trailer discs" available to any of us?
5. OT: I have been looking at the JBL S-center and PB12 for my center and sub choices. I cannot spend the $$ for an SVS or other high-end sub/center. Any complaints/comments on these?
6. Are there enough DVDs in 6.1 where I should pick up a second S-center for the rear now or wait? I do not have a 6.1 receiver yet but am looking at the Onkyo 797 or 898.
7. OT: What is the seventh speaker in 7.1?
Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

John Gates

Second Unit
Pete,
I can't answer them all, but I'll handle what I can:
1, 2, and 3: Don't know. Others will step up to these.
4: Yes. I have a couple of DTS demo discs. You might be able to find these on the DTS website. I might be willing to trade one of mine for a couple of DVD's if you are interested. YOu can often find these for sale or trade in the software for sale section of this board.
5: Not sure how to advise you here. What's your budget to upgrade subs and center? What do you have now?
6: I have a 787, and it can turn any 5.1 mix into 6.1 if you have a rear center. I have found this to be extremely worthwhile.
7: In a 7.1 setup, you have a sub, the three across the front, two side-surrounds, and two rear surround speakers positioned like this:
Main Center Main
Side Side
Rear Rear
6.1 has a rear center instead of two "rear centers." I find 6.1 to be very, very good.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks