What's new

Panasonic DP-UB9000 usb drive question - newbie, natch. (2 Viewers)

wdw

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
Hello All.
We have just taken possession of a new Panasonic 9000 Bluray and have one question that you may be able to help us with. Am using this specifically for BluRay video and future 4K Bluray but was also interested in attaching a USB Drive to spool a rather large library of DVDs when we're too lazy to feed the disc drawer. I understand the USB drive should be FAT32 and the movie format should be .mkv so copied a DVD using Mac DVDRipper to the drive.
The 9000 can read the drive but I cannot "initate" the movie to play....don't see any comments in the downloaded manual so hoping one of you worthies has worked through this issue. Likely some bone-headed effort on my part so welcome any comment and suggestions.
Best to all for 2021 (we couldn't get rid of 2020 FAST ENOUGH)
Warren

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Some parts of the manual reference mkv, but others do not (I can't find the section again, but I saw it once).
Also, there's this:
MKV (Compression methods Video: H.264/HEVCAudio: AAC, PCM, Vorbis, FLAC)
Some MKV files may not be played back correctly, depending on the video resolution, frame rate condition, subtitle format and so on

Is your video H.265? It's a very common format. Try an mp4 just for grins, they're usually more fully supported.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You'll likely need to play directly from the associated VIDEO_TS file for each title, which should be found in the parent folder.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not sure Mac DVDRipper makes MKVs. Try MakeMKV instead. Unless John Dirk's suggestion works. As I recall, Mac DVDRipper only makes VIDEO_TS folders

wdw

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
Hello Gents,
My thanks for your responses.....the Parent folder created by Mac DVDRipper for the MKV movie leads to the two sub folders; AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS but none of these three, the Parent folder nor the two sub folders appear to be executable...still bashing away. Format choices are as per the screen shot below.
Perhaps I am simply not keying in the correct key to play the video...assuming I use the OK centre button but have also tried the = and > keys.
Does anyone use this hard drive feature? Perhaps it is a phantom feature. Loving the disc based resolution though and awaiting a few 4K disc coming this month.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 3.48.20 PM.png

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I would try playing that same file with VLC Media Player, which is perhaps the most versatile application of its kind. If that works then the problem is with the Panasonic 9000, which I doubt. If VLC is also unable to play the file then @JohnRice 's suggestion of using MakeMKV should produce a playable file.

wdw

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
Thanks, will check it out. Do wonder if this feature does work as it sounds to be, perhaps, untested.....will push on and report if finding success.
Best

wdw

Auditioning
Real Name
Warren
Well, as I suspected...a total bone-headed effort on my end as I now have the moves playing successfully from the USB drive. As per my screen shot above I had selected "Convert to mkv" as a menu choice and then selected "Rip" but should have selected "Rip and Convert". Doh!
Files are not listed on the drive as a Parent File with the two sub-folders as they were before but a single file with the mkv extension.
Well now to write these on to the disc....!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, as I suspected...a total bone-headed effort on my end as I now have the moves playing successfully from the USB drive. As per my screen shot above I had selected "Convert to mkv" as a menu choice and then selected "Rip" but should have selected "Rip and Convert". Doh!
Files are not listed on the drive as a Parent File with the two sub-folders as they were before but a single file with the mkv extension.
Well now to write these on to the disc....!
You aren't a true HT Enthusiast until you spend countless hours fixing a mistake you were completely responsible for.

Congratulations and welcome to the club!!! :cheers:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I tried playing a movie as an MKV file from the hard drive to my Panasonic 9000 and it played but did not get sound. How ever after I converted it to a mp4 file I was able to stream it from my pc perfectly using cast to device using Windows 10. This also allows me to play multiple movies over the network to my 9000 not having to use any special additional software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks