What's new
World Wide Stereo

newbie question about remotes (1 Viewer)

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I want to by my parents a universal remote for christmas. Right now they have to use 1 to turn the channels and another to turn the volume up and down. It gets very annoying and I know they would love to have it all in 1 remote. I am on a tight budget so I am looking for some suggestions. What is a good decently priced remote that will control a LCD TV, Cox Digital Cable box, and a home theater system box. I forget what system they have but it has a built in DVD player, cd player, and radio. The home theater box is the 1 thing that dosnt work with the current universal remote that they have BTW..

thanks!!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
You said you were on a tight budget but didn't say what that budget limit is. :)

I, and many others here, would recommend any Harmony Remote product by Logitech. They have 1-touch activity-based buttons that, once programmed (which uses a web-based wizard inerface on a computer via a USB port) will turn on the necessary components and set switch them to the proper inputs. You can get them for less than retail. Surfremote.com sells the Harmony 680 for $90. There also more expensive models, but I expect that one would fit your needs.

I have purchased and set up Harmony remotes for my parents, my aunt and uncle, my cousin, and my brother's in-laws. I personally use the 659, but I don't know if it is still available.

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert

I really dont want to spend more then $50 on it honestly. Would that one i posted the link to work? (One For All URC 9910)

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I would love to have a PC programmable remote if they make any that are pretty cheap..

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
What is this JP1 cable i keep reading about? Thinking about getting the One For All 8910 with one of those JP1 cables.. Would this work good for me?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The JP1 capable remotes are great for people on a budget and have a lot of time to program. I thought about it but I wanted the flexibility of a remote with an LCD screen. The Harmony 880 has been one of my favorite home theater purchases. Each activity is viewed on the LCD screen beside the appropriate button. When we want to watch the HD Tivo, we press the button beside "Watch HD Tivo". It is simple enough that anyone can come into my house and watch TV without knowing that four or five pieces of equipment are involved.

-Robert

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
PC programmable remotes are very hard to come by at the $50 price point. In fact, the entry-level Harmony remotes are among the most affordable of that type. As mentioned before, they use a web-based interface that's designed for someone of just about any skill level to set up and customize.

URC (Universal Remote Company) and Philips Pronto remotes generally offer the most flexibility in programming (very useful for custom installers) before you get into really expensive stuff like Crestron and AMX, but are more costly ($300-400 retail is about your starting point there).

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I got a One For All URC8910 remote and I am having the same problem making it work with the hometheater box. I have a JP1 cable but I just cant figure that thing out at all. I downloaded 2 programs for it but i still have no clue what I am doing yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks