What's new

Unhappy with DVD & BR players (1 Viewer)

lesizz

Auditioning
Real Name
les borean
1. First of all I am very am very annoyed when I am notfied "Operation not allowed by disc" when I try to skip over or FF thru previews, dire FBI warnings, etc.

2. I will watch a movie usually in 2-3 sessions, so the "resume" function available with DVD's is very handy. It was to my dismay to find that BR's do not support that feature. Newer technology???? And, I thought that was a feature of the player, not the disc, but I guess not. So, with a BR disc, on subsequent watchings I have to go thru all the "Prodced by..." splashes, previews, and warnings about being sent to Folsom for life, etc before I can begin to enjoy the movie. (Actually that sounds like the makings of a movie itself!)

So, I notice that when I pop a DVD into my computer as opposed to the DVD player, that I can start wherever I want. Skipping the nonsense is no problem. I just pick where I want to start, and go. I assume it would be the same if my computer had a BR drive.

So, the conclusion seems to me that I need to replace the BR and DVD players in my theater setup with a dedicated computer with a BR/DVD drive (and a wireless keyboard to serve as the "remote").

Am I on course here. Are all my suppositions and presumptions in line here? I'm a newbie at videology, if you haven't guessed by now.

A question here is, "How to extract the hi-def stream from the puter to feed to the system?" My Yamaha receiver has a ethernet input, maybe that way. Or via a DVI jack on the puter, using a DVI/HDMI adaptor cable. I don't know that puters come with HDMI jacks.

Any suggestions, or setting-of-me-straight?

safesinger

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sal
It must be your player.

I use the PS3 for my Bluray player and I have resume even if I pull the bluray out and put it back in a week later.

Started up my Avatar BR and it resumed where I stopped it. And I haven't watched that for a long long while probably about a month ago.

Anyhow the FBI warnings are only a few seconds it's not all that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks