What's new

Newbie Question - Why Not PS3? (1 Viewer)

Zoomer602

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Ok, looking at Blue Ray and most of the review sites use a PS3 as the basis for comparison. For starters I definitely want a wireless connection to the net - for updates, possible dl's from Netflix or what have you (I know the quality is not there yet - but when it is I want to be able access without ethernet). So in addition to the PS3, what else is availble for me and why would it be better than the 160GB PS3 I am considering (with an ir adapter for a Harmony remote).
About the only thing I would want to be sure of in additon to wireless is DVDR/RW+ compatibility as I have a bunch of old VHS home tapes that were burned to the + format.

Thanks...
system is a Pioneer Elite 60" Kuro (last model made with the true Pioneer Screen), Martin Logans (buying them now) - etc.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I recently dumped my HTPC and am exclusively using my PS3 for on-demand video and all my DVD/Bluray watching. For the price, features, and support (software updates) I don't think you can beat it.

FWIW, I'm driving a Moome HDMI->RGBHV converter and then to my Electrohome projector @ 1080p (so image quality is a priority).

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
There are a few reasons you might go with something else;

*Some people want analogue outputs because their receivers don't support HDMI
*Some want a cheaper player
*Some are concerned about the PS3's incompatibility with universal remotes.
*Game machine bigotry. Sadly this is probably the most common reason.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Currently, the PS3 is the only Blu-ray player with wireless networking built-in that I am aware of. I've had my PS3 for over a year and a half now, and have been quite pleased with it. I use it to store my music and photos, play Blu-ray and DVDs, play games, and surf the internet (although the browser still needs some work). I'm not sure how Greg is using his PS3 for on-demand, unless he is renting downloads form the Playstation store and/or watching online content from sites like HULU and YouTube.

The only other option I can think of, for what you want, is the LG player that already has Netflix On-Demand compatibility. However, LG is not always on top of getting firmware updates released in a timely manner, compared to Sony or Panasonic.

Sadly, I think one area where the Blu-ray player manufacturers really need to work on is an easy solution to connecting the player to the internet for BD-Live. Even wireless can be tricky for the average consumer, so I'd like to see Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, or LG team up with a company like Linksys or Netgear, or even Slingbox, and come up with a co-branded powerline ethernet bridge that can be sold along side the BD players, and stocked in the entertainment hardware department rather than computer networking at retail locations. DirecTv came up with this same type of solution for their subscribers that do not have ethernet in their living rooms to enable them to access their On-Demand service on their DVR receivers. They also made it somewhat affordable and easy to install.

If you are still set on the PS3, and you are not looking at the 160gb model for the game bundle, then I would recommend saving $100 and getting the 80gb model. You can upgrade the hard drive to something larger in the future. Notebook SATA hard drives keep getting larger and cheaper, and I have not even come close to maxing out the 60gb hard drive that came with my console.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
As a rule of thumb, if you're fully HDMI there's no reason not to go with the PS3; it's clearly the best BD player.

But if you're stuck with an older receiver or TV or both, then a standalone that accommodates analog connections may be more appropriate.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Agreed. HDD prices are constantly coming down (and the drives keep getting better for the most part). There's not much point in committing extra $ upfront to the bigger storage model unless you know you'll need it right away -- and even then, you might still be better off buying another drive (maybe even a huge external USB drive instead). For instance, if Sony is still using the old series of Seagate Modesto(?) drives (but just larger in capacity), you can do better by upgrading to a Western Digital Scorpio series which consumes less power and runs very noticeably cooler (as a result).

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
There is a problem with external USB hard drives on the PS3. For one, they must be reformatted in FAT32 on a PC. Secondly, the PS3 prefers to use the external drive for back-up, rather than additional disk space.

I have an 80gb portable external hard drive that is used for backups and transferring files from my PC to the PS3.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
For me it is the lack of a front display. I have a PS3 and it drove me nuts never being able to just glance at the player and see the time remaining display so I picked up an S550 and much prefer it to the PS3.

Brad M

Second Unit

The PS3 can display the running time using the remote. That's the one thing I like to have as well since I try to squeeze a movie in before the wife comes home.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The one thing I wish the PS3 would do (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is when watching a non-anamorphic movie, you can't zoom in to make it look normal. My last cheapo dvd player made it look pretty good but the PS3 does not do it the best that I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikezerby
Recent bookmarks