What's new

Newbie needs help with a dumb question or 2. (1 Viewer)

David RG

Auditioning
Hi, This is my first time posting on these forums.

I got a emerson AM/FM STEREO RECIEVER/DVD/CD/ PLAYER AV101 for christmas. Never really experiencing surround sound outside the movie theatres, i never knew what i was missing and now i think i'm hooked. Anyways, after about 7 days of use it has stopped working. I am going to and get a refund on it and spend that money, plus some, on a new system.

Basically i got my Xbox, which i use for dvds also, and my own cd player. what i think i'm looking for, being a newbie i'm not 100% sure this is what i need, is a surround sound reciever and with 6 speakers. I'd appreciate it if anyone can explain to me what basic setup, i don't need anything flashy, i should get and explain it to me in laymans terms how it works. I don't want to go out and waste my money on something i don't need.

thnx

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
When you said "I think I am hooked" what were you refering to? Was just that the sound quality of the Emerson system was better than what you were used to, or was it the actual surround sound effects of the 5 or six speakers? If it was just the sound quality in general, was it the bass caused by the sub-woofer?

If it was the surround sound effects then replacing your Emerson with a low-end Home Theater in-a-box system is likely what you will be happy with. Look at you local store for a Sony or Pioneer system, listen to them and pick what you think sounds best.

If , what got you hooked was simply the fidelity of the sound, you are right...maybe you don'r actually "need" a surround sound system. You might just to invest in a new receiver and build up a system gradually.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Go to www.overstock.com and check out some of their home theater speaker systems. They also sell some receivers at good prices. The receiver may or may not be a refurbed unit. Refurbed has had the problems fixed by factory, and sometimes can be better than new. This is a good way to get into an entry level system, that's better than an HTIB........... Good luck!

David RG

Auditioning
What i meant by saying "i think i'm hooked" was that the all around surround sound experience was far better then i expected. I don't mean the quality of the sound or the effect of the bass from the subwoofer. Here's the best example of what i mean that i can give you. Imagine you spent your entire life living chained up in a dark cave and you believed that all the universe was that cave and you could never imagine anything else. Now picture being set free into the world. I meant something like that.

Anyways, i am looking for a reciever with dolby digital 5.1 and dolby prologic 1&2. I don't really understand the difference between 1&2, can someone plz explain? i am also looking for some speakers. I don't no if you can get a setup that gives you just a reciever and some speakers. I got around $300 canadian plus whatever i get from the refund.

I already have a good, although a little old, 27" TV and an Xbox for playing dvds that i don't intend to replace for a while but i do intend to replace them when i can.

Also, i do intend to slowly build up a system overtime but i don't have the money to go all out at once.

David RG

Auditioning
I'd appreciate it if someone can tell me some features or specs that i should look for in a reciever and speakers that i may not yet know about. also, can you suggest some brands that i should look into first for both the reciever and speakers?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Dolby ProLogic1 supports only one rear surround channel at a lower bandwidth. Dolby ProLogic2 supports two rear surround channels with higher bandwidth.

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
If your looking for a package deal, Hi Fi Buys has a package with A very nice Dennon reciever and the Mirrage Omni Sat's. They sound great and the whole package is about $1500. That comes with the reciver, five speakers and a sub.

~C.C.~

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
Also, when you ask for specs, what do you mean. Your spec's on your recievershould meet or exceed whatever your wanting to do with it. You can pick up a decent reciever for about $400. There is no right answer here. Everyone has own opinion as to what they want out of a reciever. And if your hooked as you say you are. You will probably start finding your self reading Audio review and Home Theater Review alot to come. Basicly just find a reciever that interests you, go to Audio Review look up the model number and see what others have good and bad to say about it. Remember, you get what you pay for. Good luck.

~C.C.~

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Check out the Onkyo HTS760 home theater system at Circuit City. (I'm sure others sell it, but it's easy to find on their site.) As far as a HTIB, it would be pretty hard to beat for the price.

I'm not sure how Xboxes work as DVD players, but those are pretty cheap now if you want to get a stand alone unit.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Things to look for...

6.1 (6 Descreet amps), Component Video Switching for the future, and a good host of 6.1 processing.

The better deals are online for sure....

You really need a subwoofer too, the meaner the better.

With that said, for around $500 total, a respectable great performing system can be assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks