Need info on building HT....Help???

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by asi_a, Sep 21, 2004.

1. asi_a

asi_a Agent

Hi all..I'm a newbie to this site so please excuse the dumb questions I may ask, before I start I just want you to know what I am looking for in my HT. Obviously I want the best for as little as possible but idealy i'd like to get it(sound&pic) done for no more then $4k. The room I have is about 25'x18' with 9' ceilings and is located on the second floor of my two story house. I heard the Denon 2805 is a good receiver? is there a better one for less then the $620 I found the Denon for? What would you recommend for speakers? should I run 1 or 2 subs? and finally what's a good HD projector to look at? I would really appreciate your suggestions and advise.
    Thanks in advance.
    Asi

2. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum!! There are no stupid questions here!

Hope everyone can get you running a great HT, as they helped me do not so long ago....

Mike

3. asi_a

asi_a Agent

Thanks Mike. I hope so too.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Do you know if you want floor standing or bookshelf for up front:

Rundown

Receivers to look at:
    Denon 2805, Yamaha 5790, Pioneer 1014, HK's

Projectors:
    Infocus 4805 or 5000, Sanyo Z2, Panny 500

Subs:
    SVS, HSU,

Speakers:
    Axiom, Rockets, Swans, HTD

Make a package from the above.....

5. asi_a

asi_a Agent

I was thinking of building out the front wall about 20" and going with a perforated screen with all the front speakers and the subs behind the screen, is that a good idea or is there a better way to hide the front speakers? I will try to put together a package from the items you recommended Chad, I just hope my budget will be sufficient. Thanks for your help so far.
    Asi

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I know some people have done that but not sure what was needed to do it correctly.
    Why do you need to hide the front speakers? Personally I like to show my speakers off especially if I had any of the above I listed. But to each his own....

7. asi_a

asi_a Agent

I have to hide the front speakers beause my wife doesn't want them to show, she also wants me to hide the rear and side speakers if possible but I think I can get away with not dling all that. I know the side speakers can be showing but at this time i'm not sure.

8. asi_a

asi_a Agent

Okay, I've been doing some research online and came up with the fallowing.

Receiver: Denon 2805
    Projector: Infocus 4805
    Speakers: Not sure but it's looking like the the Epic Grand Master Package.
    Sub: Not sure yet but I did see that the Epic Speaker System comes with a sub, is it not recommended? Do I have to dish out another $600-$700 for a sub?
    I have not decided yet as I do have more time before I have to make my decision. Please feel free to advise if you would do anything different.
    Thanks in advance for all your help.

9. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Drop the sub from that package and spend the $500 on one of the following:
    SVS - SVS PB10-ISD
    HSU - VTF-2 MK 2 or STF-2
    AV123 - Rocket Loudspeakers UFW-10 Subwoofer

That would be a great system for starting out. No complaints here.

10. asi_a

asi_a Agent

Would a single SVS PB10-ISD be enough for this size room? I was planning on getting two subwoofers. Also I was hoping to go with a 7.1 system and although I liked what I saw with the Rockets System I didn't see that they offer the 7.1 only the 5.1, Does anyone know if Rockets offer a 7.1 system? Now another thing I needed to know is if I go 10' wide screen how high should it be? I was thinking maybe 8' or 9' does this sound right? Once again I thank you all for your input.
    Asi

11. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Have you priced perferated screens yet? You could blow a big part of your budget on that one item alone.

I'd also recommend Paradigm speakers. Great bang for the buck.

As for the sub, it depends on what you are looking for. The fact that you were thinking of using 2 subs leads me to believe that you want strong bass and low extention. I personally like to feel the bass in the room. If that is that case, I don't believe a single 10" sub, even from SVS, will make you happy. I'd look into some of thier PC series or even the dual 12" (PB2?) sub. I know they cost a bit more than the smaller one, but what is the use of spending money on a sub that won't satisfy you? Expand your budget to get it right the first time, or scrimp a bit on the speakers to afforde the sub. A good sub can make up for speakers that don't play too low since your crossover will most likely be set at around 80Hz anyway.

Just my $.02. Take it for what it's worth.

Good luck and happy auditioning!

Steve

12. asi_a

asi_a Agent

I actually found the SVS PB10-ISD for $399, I guess at that price I can afford two of them. I can expand my budget by a little to maybe cover the perforated screen. Can anyone provide me with a link to where I can get some ideas for the perforated screen and maybe a place where I can get more pricing on the rocket speakers.
    Thanks - Asi

13. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

If you have interest in a 7.1 rocket system give them a call and they will work a deal with you.....they just don't list them as most people do 5.1 ...

14. asi_a

asi_a Agent

Chad,
    What do you think of this speaker set-up?
    Axiom package.
    Center: VP100
    Towers: M40TI
    Surround:QS4
    Rears: M2I
    I am still debating on the subs but I think i'm leaning towards putting 2 SVS PB10-ISD. Do you think 2 10"s would be enough for a room this size? otherwise I could go for 2 12"s. Please let me know.
    Thanks - Asi

15. asi_a

asi_a Agent

Or should I go with theM60TI for the towers instead of the M40TI in my size room(18x25)?

16. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Da-Lite has a fixed frame, perforated screen that is $1580 for the 106" diagonal widescreen format. There are other comapnies such as Stewart, but Da-lite will be considerably less expensive than those.
    Here is the link to Da-Lite's pricing sheet.

http://www.da-lite.com/products/pricing_pdfs/95.pdf

17. asi_a

asi_a Agent

Okay, I put the order in for the fallowing speakers.

Axiom
    M50ti fronts
    M3ti surround(side)
    M3ti surround(rear)
    VP150 Center.

I also put in the order for the Denon AVR2805, but i'm kinda stuck with choosing a projector. I'm leaning towards the Infocus 2805 but am not sure if thats the way to go. Is that a HiDef projector? Can anyone advise a better projector in the $1500 range? Thanks for your help.

18. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

asia,
    If I were you I would have went with the 60'sfor fronts and the Qs4's for side surround duties.

Did you buy a sub yet?

Do you have any openings in that room if so you might need just one nice 12" put a SVS +.

Projectors The infocus 4805 seems to be a great product for the price.

19. asi_a

asi_a Agent

Chad,
    I didn't go with the QS4's for the surround because I plan to put the surround speakers in the culloms I'm building and the QS4's have a woofer in the bottom ans top of the speakers which wouldn't work. The M60's I was told were very good but would be too much for the M3ti's as surrounds. At this time the room is all drywalled and thats it, I will be building the front wall probably next week and so I can build a space for either one or two subs, I'm thinking 2 12's should hit pretty hard in that room. I have'nt bought any subs as of yet but I have one 12" sub
    KG-5150 so I was concidering getting another one. Have you heard of the KG-5150? it's worked pretty good for me before. Thanks for your help, I think this room should turn out pretty nice.
    Asi

20. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

No idea on the KG-5150.
    I really enjoy the SVS, Rocket subs. I have not heard a HSU in person yet.
    Most of these subs are just built well and do what they are suppose to do and don't sound boomy.

Didn't know you were doing the colloums.