What's new

HT newbie w/ some audio questions (1 Viewer)

ChrisKen

Auditioning
Hello all. Wondering if you could enlighten me on some audio questions.

I am builing a dedicated HT room in my basement, and currently would like to "re-use" some of my equipment (audio) to help keep costs down.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5635 or 5640 home theater reciver, it outputs 5.1 and I think its 80 watts per channel. I have a Sony 5 speaker system (small speakers, pictured in my gallery) with a Sub that came with them.

I have 2 Infinity Sutio Monitor 150's (SM150's) that I got for free about 5 years ago, from the late 80's I imagine. Here are the only specs I have on them:

Frequency Response: 44Hz - 22kHz (+/-3dB)
Crossover Frequency(ies): 500Hz, 5.5kHz
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 10 - 200 watts RMS per channel
Woofer: 15" polypropylene coated
Midrange Driver: TWO - polypropylene coated cones
Tweeter: 1" polycell "high-output"

Question:
Would these SM150's make better front right and left channels than the small Sony's I have? Would my receiver power them ? (I'd have to lug them down 3 flights of stairs to "test" this theory out").

Since they are big and bluky (and heavy!) I'd recess them into a partition wall (wife factor, must hide everything). I figure they were probably great in there day, why not re-use 'em ?

OK second question!
If question 1 is "yeah try them out, they should work fine" that leaves me with a really small center channel speaker (it will look ridiculous under a 70-80" projection screen), which I will need to replace. Understood.
But, it also leaves me with 2 extra Sony speakers. I have 5 total, 2 for rear left and right also.

How dumb an idea is it to split my speaker wire for rear left and rear right and have 4 rear speakers on a 5.1 system? Meaning 2 rear left and 2 rear right? I'm guessing I would ceiling mount them and point them in 45° angles (one for back row one for front row?)

Horrible idea?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What for? Just put the extras in the closet until you sell the whole lot of them. The world won’t come to an end if you don’t use all of them. You don’t use every input your receiver has, to you? Or watch each and every channel your cable TV or satellte has, do you? I’m sure you don’t feel bad about that, so there’s no reason to feel bad about your extra speakers going to “waste.” :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks