Newbie needs help w. speaker basics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Lawrence, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Tim Lawrence

Tim Lawrence Extra

Hello all. I'm New HT wannabe with a couple years' background in multi-track recording. I'm looking to put together a new HT system from scratch and have a couple of questions (O.K. fist ones in a soon to be LONG list) about speakers and audio in HT systems:
    1) I recall reading somewhere that THX certified systems need ALL speakers and components to be matching and certified. Is this still so, and is the extra mile one goes for 'All-out THX' matching of audio components really worth the effort? Just relative to the listener, or is there some overall masterpiece that comes together at that point? [​IMG]
    2) My back living room upstairs is 12' X 22'; sunken; closed in on 3 sides with one of the long walls opening up in the middle to access up to the kitchen and rest of house. Having patio doors centered on the opposite long wall, I would think positioning the monitor (soon to be 36" direct view or 43-53" rear projector) in front of these patio doors ( NEVER use them anyway!) would be the best way to cut down direct glare onto monitor; coupled with window treatments to keep as much outside light out.
    Question here is; would I recieve better audio imaging and overall sound quality if the front of the system and monitor were along one of the 12' walls as opposed to the 22' wall?
    Would welcome and appreciate all comments/suggestions upon these issues! [​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Vince nailed that one!

And Tim, welcome to the Forum!

THX used to be more of a big deal some years ago but really isn't anymore. My opinion is for all the certified THX gear needed its not worth the extra costs. And the truth is, some budget THX gear is no better, if not worse, than Non THX stuff. THX approved gear doesn't have to pass a human listening test and in the end thats what it boils down to. I read some bad things in the past about some Kenwoods THX gear. Today, its more bragging rights than anything.

To help with your second question, this will also depend on the type of speakers you decide on. If you choose a bipolar speaker then you will want to use the width of your room with the TV in front of your patio doors. Bipolars need a lot of room to breathe and a 12 foot enclosure using the length of the room may not be enough for proper placement. Its really up to you, theres no right and wrong. The key is to black out those patio doors any which way, keeping in mind that if/when you want to some natural light you have the option of getting it.

I think using the length might be best but using the width may make one feel "more involved" because everything is closer. Good Luck and happy hunting!

4. Tim Lawrence

Tim Lawrence Extra

Well, well, thank you guys for the fast and informative replies; and THANK YOU Michael H. for recommending this forum to me. About the bipolar front speakers, I haven't really given that much thought or listen yet. But the idea certainly makes sense with the extra width offered (22' vs 12'). Have really got a bone for the PSB Stratus Gold i's and their accurate rich sound. If bipolar is what I end up with, I'll have tons to audition to match those Gold's as far as their music reproduction - my fronts will be handling way more music than anything else, probably a 70-30 split; just because I always have tunes on, and I really need new main speakers for CD's.
    One beauty of the PSB - a friend works at Sony, which means those babies will cost me about 1/3 of retail price... I love stuff at COST!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now, if he could also help me out with that monster cost on the new 60" Grand Wega that Sony just shipped... might be a tempting idea... [​IMG]

5. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

At that price I wouldn't hesitate in purchasing those. Since you sound like your going to listen to a lot of music they should do the trick! I have heard the PSB Silvers but it was many years ago and the were not set up properly.
    A 60" Sony Wega? Wow! You know, we have local meets that we try to set up through the forum and I'm voting to have it at your place [​IMG]