What's new

Newbie help PLEASE??!! (1 Viewer)

JohnathanB

Auditioning
Hello there! I have been a long time reader but new forum contributor. I am not about to waste all of your time asking questions you home theater gurus get, i.e.

"What is the best dvd player to get?"

"What are the best speakers?"

"What kind of receiver should I buy?"

BUT....

Could I get a few websites that I could REALLY educate myself on what is out there in the market, what to look for, what NOT to get?

I guess I am looking for sites that I can learn a whole bunch from regarding speakers, dvd players, and receivers and what make them "good" or "bad".

Consumer Reports is good for what it is, but does not begin to scratch the surface on GOOD home theatre systems. They list Bose as one of the best systems out there...nuff said.

Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to reading some educational sites!!!

John

P.S. - ******** I would really appreciated it if you could direct me to sites that are not technical jagon...I will be lossed in the lingo!! Need "Vocabulary and Info for Home Theater Dummies" -like sites. Thank you!!

Dave Gates

Agent
Johnathan,
I got most of my equipment review information from the following two sites:
Audio Review
http://www.audioreview.com/
Great manufactures section, with reviews posted by individuals.
Home Theater Spot
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi
Good, but limited, manufactures section, with reviews posted by members of the forum.
Like you, I found that Consumers Reports didn’t have a clue about what they were reviewing. As for a Home Theater glossary of terms, I found that HTF member Chris White, has a GREAT site with a ton of information, including a glossary, wiring info, diy tips, etc. Chris Whites home page is:
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/theater.htm
Good Luck!

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, Johnathan. In addition to those noted above (I, too, look at audioreview.com and hometheaterspot.com but be forwarned that audioreview.com does not appear to be moderated and anything goes). You may also want to look at ecoustics which, along with having its own information, is a good portal to various on-line sources. You can do a search for dvd players, for instance, and it will display a link to any reviews of dvd players out there, etc.
Robert

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
You may also want to take a look at Link Removed Those guys are pretty thorough on their reviews. Click on the Master index to see everything they have reviewed.
Derrick Gibson

JohnathanB

Auditioning
Thanks guys! I will thoroughly check those sites. From what I have seen so far on those sites they will be useful.
IN ADDITION though, I am looking for a site (I came across one once...long time ago) that is not a review of equipment but more an educational site giving the basics...
i.e.: How much wattage a speaker should be and what frequency range they should be/ The amount of wattage a reciever should be and amount of "power" it gives to speakers (I KNOW THIS IS VERY UNEDUCATED SOUNDING...but that is what I am right now :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks