What's new
World Wide Stereo

Newbie help on placement! (1 Viewer)

JeffCar

Agent
I am finally getting close to finishing up on the basement room I have crafted for a HT/listening room. It is 18'11''x 14' with 8'2" ceiling height - double drywall, etc, etc. I am looking at building something to hold my audio equipment, storage for CD/DVD, etc, and of course house my new TV. I am in love with the 60" Sony SXRD picture, and while I will probably wait until it can handle 1080p input, I need to plan for the placement now.

I had planned a spot that is 72" wide, and 24 " deep, which should give it all the clearance it needs and allow me to put a back-light in as well. The question is... how high should the platform be that holds the tv? I understand I want it to present at no more than 30 degrees vertically off center. If I assume a 38" center line for typical eye level seated, and the tv is approx 40 inches, that would put the bottom of the tv only 18" off the floor. That seems awfully low. I was also thinking that I wanted the center channel (a Klipsch RC-7) under the screen to keep the lines clean.... but that would mean the enter would only be 8 inches or so off the floor as the speaker itself is 9 inches tall.

According to the Sony site, there is a 30 degree vertical viewing tolerance. I wonder just how much the picture quality varies within that tolerance. If it is the same throughout the 30 degrees, then I have some slack and can move the TV height up a bit (I'll be approx 10-12 feet viewing distance from the screen which should technically mean that I could raise the tv 2.5 ft. and still be within tolerance (that is if my geometry holds up).

I am probably being very anal, but if I am constructing and have the options now, I guess I want to make it the best I can.

Any thoughts/comments are very welcome!

Jeff

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JeffCar

Agent
Moderator : Is this in the wrong forum or is there just not a lot of interest outside front projection here? Just wondering?

Jeff

mylan

Screenwriter
I think you just answered your own question! You lost me at "30 degrees vertical..and 38"centerline".
There is plenty of interest in rear projection here but I have never seen or heard calculations like this for R.P., only F.P.
In laymans terms I can tell you I have a Sony KDF series RP LCD that sits on a 21" high stand and we sit about 11 feet back. The center speaker is inside the cabinent under the tv. The viewing angle seemed too high so I moved the sofa back a bit, the center speaker sounds great there. At that point, the mid point of the screen seemed at eye level.
Hope this helps somewhat, you might want to post in the displays area also

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
If you have your seats, sit in em. look at the wall where the tv is going to be. If you are reclined you will likely want it higher. at 12' away you should not see a difference in the picture quality by raising the tv to a comfortable viewing level. In order to be at the max 30 degree recommended threshold the top of your tv would have to be 7 feet above your eye level.
Put it at a comfortable level for viewing, your neck will thank you for it.

JeffCar

Agent
Thanks folks.

I appreciate the advice. Maybe I can make myself a bit more clear. I expect that eye level when seated will be approx 38" from the floor. With a 40" vertical measurement for the screen, half of that is 20". Aligning the two measurements (eye level and mid screen), The bottom of the screen is then 19" off the floor for perfect eye level alignment with the centerline of the screen. As RP tend to be somewhat sensitive to off axis viewing, the closer you align your eyes to the vertical and horizontal center axis, the better the viewing.

Brian, you are correct.... I was using 30 degrees overall, which led me to believe I could only be off 15 degrees plus or minus. Actually it is 30 plus or minus. That provides double the tolerance, and I will certainly be within those figures. I guess the precision is not as critical as I thought. I will "put it at a comfortable viewing angle" as you suggest.

Thanks again for the responses.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks