What's new

Newbie going with Axiom speakers, need speaker/receiver help (1 Viewer)

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I am a first time poster on this forum and would appreciate some help with upgrading my HT. I currently have Onkyo HT760 HTIB and I am fully satisfied with its movie capabilities, but as far as the music goes, I would like something better. Due to the small living room (13X18) and other considerations, I would like to get a new receiver + floorstanding mains or 2.1 setup. However, I want to be able to upgrade that to full HT in the future and use it in larger room. I have about 2000-2500 $ total for that and, again, my main interest is music. I listen to rock a lot, but also all kinds of other stuff as well. Good bass is a definite plus for me, but I would prefer good overall tonal balance.
From what I have been reading, Axiom M80Ti’s seem really a perfect fit for my needs and I really like what I read about their balanced, airy sound with great soundstage. So, I am considering getting them or maybe M22Ti’s with SVS PC+ cylinder subs.

So, my first question is whether this setup makes sense or should I consider other speakers?

Looking for the suitable receiver, I came across Yamaha RX-V2400. It would be right in my price range and has tremendous reviews. However, here are my two concerns:

1)I think it is rated 4 ohms, but still I am not sure whether it’s a good match with M80Ti? Audioholics.com review says that 4 ohm 89 dB speakers, they used, sounded nice, but a bit rough. However, that’s comparing to 4000-5000+$ receiver.
2)Its description says: “Nine Adjustable bass management settings (40Hz to 200Hz, 10Hz step sizes from 80-120Hz)”. Does it make it a good match with SVS cylinder subs?

The other one would be Sony DA4ES. How do these two compare?

So, should I consider other receiver model for this setup in 1000$ price range or is there a more suitable receiver in that price range?

Thanks, any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Ahmose

Grip
Take a look at the H/K 7200 and Denon 3805 in this price range. They're both very capable receivers.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you haven't heard them, try and find someone in your local area who is willing to let you come over and audition them. Buying sight unseen is a crap shoot.

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Sure, I just want to figure out which ones to check first.
Any speaker suggestions?

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds like you are concentrating on music first and foremost. If the system sounds great for music it will probaly sound great for HT when you expand.

Here would be my thoughts about M80 vs a 2.1 steup.

A sub is critical for HT. An SVS would really add impact to home theatre. The M80s would give ecelletn musical performance without the sub but would probaly still need one for Movies.

The other thing is that the M22s are an 8 ohm load. Basically any reciever can drive them especially with the SUB taking the bass load off them.

With M22 SVS setup you would be only 3 speakers away from a HT setup. With the M80s you would be 3 speakers, a sub and need to be very selective to find a receiver that is comfotable with 4ohm loads.

If you are a real music buff I think that possibly the best sounding receivers under 1000 for music would be and NAD. They also happen to be one of the few that will drive 4ohm loads well.

You could get a full 5 speaker axiom setup with M22s as the fronts for about $1200 +550 for a sub =1800 That leaves about $700 for a receiver. Since you could use an 8ohm receiver you could certainly get something nice in that range.

JUst something to consider that you could get a full home theatre system NOW .

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
JamieS,
Thanks for the comments. I am actually pretty satisfied with HT760 for the HT and I very rarely watch DVDs right now. So I am actually going to keep remaining HT speakers from HT760 for movie use. That's why I am really only considering music use for now and would like to get the best set up for music in that range. Is there any particular NAD to consider?
Thanks.

JackHC

Auditioning
I'm also thinking of getting axiom's but from what I read on their website, isn't the m80's too much for your size room? That's 234 sq.ft. By the HT wizard they have, they suggest the m50's for 250 sq.ft or less. For the extra punch I suppose the m60's would be ok. The m50's sell for $620 while the m60's are $800 and m80's $1100. Just a suggestion.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I heard the M50s, M60s and M80s. I did not care for the M50s at all. I thought that the M60s were nearly as good as the m80s. Lacking a little of the bass extension but in a smaller room they might be just perfect.

If you really want music right now why not use the $1500-$1700 left in your budget to buy something like a NAD C272 2 Ch amp 150W X 2 and a S100 preamp. Then you would have tons of 2ch power and excellent 2ch sound since you don't need all the filtering and processing of a HT reciever.

If you go Amp Preamp there are many routes you could go in your price range even used. All would be superior for 2ch music than even a more expensive receiver.

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
That's another route to consider. Its a bit too much of a price for me right now just for the music though.
I was considering getting
M80s, even though they are too big for the room, becuase I hope I'll keep them for a while, so I want to "build-in" possibility of a larger room. Other than greater price, is there any significant issue sound-wise getting speakers, whcih are "too big"?

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
In a room that size, the M60ti's might seem like a more logical choice. They're also nominal 8 ohm, so that might help w/ receiver choices. In that room they will probably sound very similar to what the 80's would sound like, just not as loud. The 80's are probably serious overkill for that room (No - not probably. Make that definitely.)

I have an RX-V2400 and can highly recommend that unit. I don't have a Sony (mostly 'cause I've bought Sony in the past and won't get fooled again - but YMMV) so you're on your own there. The 2400's bass mgt seems to work well and I just like the way it works. It would drive the M60's just fine. You can probably get tons of opinions on the 2400 by doing a search here.

If you get the 60's but decide you want more bass you could also consider something like a Dayton Vance Dickason from Parts Express - tremendous performance & value. It's also not an SVS, but I don't know that you really need that much of a beast in a room that size (and it's "just" $349 ;~).

Listen to the Axioms if you possibly can. I bought M3ti's on a whim to try them in the loft and they worked out great, but then that wasn't a huge investment and I had plenty of places I could always put them. The 3ti's really call out for a sub in anything larger than the 'puter loft - the 60's may not even need any help at all in your room. Good luck!

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
Thank's for the suggestions. I would probably stick with M60's and maybe get a VP100 center for the money saved on difference with M80Ti's. I'll also keep my old crappy surrounds and sub for HT use.
However, I am still torn on the amp choice. As I stated before, my primary goal for this system right now is for music and JamieS suggested NAD receiver for that. I probably would not want to spend big bucks just for stereo amp setup. How much better would the NAD T673 (ot T672) be stricktly for the music reproduction compared to the likes of Yamaha RX-V2400, H/K 7200 or Denon 3805 considering 8 ohm spekers to drive. I think H/K and Yamaha can be had for quite a bit less than NAD, but I also heard that NAD is basically the brand of choice for music.

Ahmose

Grip
vasia,
Another thing to consider is DVD-A and SACD. You might want to think about the ability to enjoy those formats. Obviously for 5.1 music you'll need a 5.1 set of speakers. I'm not sure if your current setup would support those formats.
Just something to consider.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
vasia -
You really should try to audition the receivers if possible to see if you find an insurmountable difference to your own ears. I can vouch for the Yamaha in the den - where I listen to 90/10% music/HT. I've also heard the HK 7200 and it had a very capable amplifier section - plenty of real oomph and it sounded fine to my aging ears. I've also bought NAD in the past, I won't buy it again - but YMMV. Just personal preference on that, really - that's really just gossip in your context and absolutely nothing that you should consider until you personally decide yeah/nay on the NAD. Same w/ Denon (or Yamaha, etc.) - you have to decide what sound you like and then determine if the combination delivers that sound.

One last suggestion - if you're budget-constrained, consider the Yamaha RX-V1400 instead of the 2400. The biggest difference seems to be the remote and some very minor tweaks. The 1400 & Axiom Outlet 60ti's should leave you w/ even more money left over - so you could even consider a sub and/or surrounds. And don't spring for those until you've heard your first batch of upgrades - you may be able to live w/ the 60's and 1400 (or whatever) and be very happy with that.

vasia

Stunt Coordinator
So, I am going to try couple of receivers. I'll try Tweeter for Denon and Yamaha and couple of other places for NAD and Marantz. Marantz SR3800 is on clearence right now and moved into my price range. I am really curious how does it compare to the other receivers in 1000$ range? Given Marantz reputation, wouldn't this be a great deal to grab?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks