newbie needs HT speaker system help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RalphM, Nov 2, 2005.

1. RalphM

RalphM Auditioning

Post and Beam home. so no trusses = very high ceilings. Great room about 30' x 30', with 40' ceiling height, open to other rooms, and one wall with LOTS of glass. Looking for recommendations for HTS speaker system(s) that can truly "FILL" that room. (yes I already know about potential glare problems with the windows, etc--that is a whole different subject--just looking for speaker system advice for now).

Have been reading about axion rockets, and the ascends. Would a 5.1 ascend system with four cmt 340m for rt, lt, and both surrounds, with cmt 340c for the center, plus an sft-3 subwoofer do the trick? Would I need to go to 7.1 with 2 more cmt 340m's or cbm 170's. How about a recommendation in the axiom line. Finally, any other direct speakers that I might want to consider? Thanks in advance, now I'll post in the reciever forum for a receiver that can handle the same room.

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Welcome to the forum bro, I see you are not getting many replies, I think we are all agap at your room size! I lack knowledge of any of these speakers but nothing short of a stack of Marshall amps and pro speakers are going to do that room justice! All kidding aside, the main problem I see is with echo and other reflections. I think room treatments are in order first to make ANY speaker sound good in that space.

3. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I too have a post and beam home with alot of glass. Although my living room is 18'x16' with a 28' peak. your place is huge. I have a very difficult time with my house as it is an open design as well. I have tried numerous receivers, amps, and speakers and have yet to come close to hearing what I am looking for. Bass will be difficult aw well. One sub will not cut it for you and expect to use equalization as well. The glass and open space with a ton of cubic space to fill will be a huge challenge. I have come to realize I will not accomplish what I am looking for until we finish off the basement.

4. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

Be aware of rattling! I'm not kidding. We have a ( sort of ) sun roof over the ht area, and even though it is more like a window in the side it rattles. So does our stove and BUILT INTO THE WALL LIGHTING!!!! Episode three sounded awesome, but the rattling of things was a little distracting during the first 15 minutes.