newbie needs help choosing HT speaker system

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RalphM, Nov 3, 2005.

1. RalphM

RalphM Auditioning

Post and Beam home. so no trusses = very high ceilings. Great room about 30' x 30', with 40' ceiling height, open to other rooms, and one wall with LOTS of glass. Looking for recommendations for HTS speaker system(s) that can truly "FILL" that room. (yes I already know about potential glare problems with the windows, etc--that is a whole different subject--just looking for speaker system advice for now).

Have been reading about axion rockets, and the ascends. Would a 5.1 ascend system with four cmt 340m for rt, lt, and both surrounds, with cmt 340c for the center, plus an sft-3 subwoofer do the trick? Would I need to go to 7.1 with 2 more cmt 340m's or cbm 170's. How about a recommendation in the axiom line. Finally, any other direct speakers that I might want to consider? Thanks in advance, now I'll post in the receiver forum for a receiver that can handle the same room.

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Take a look at the Rocket package specials on the 550's right now. All the internet folks make good speakers but I just happen to personally like the Rockets. Put in my disclaimer there.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

What is your budget for speakers and does that include the sub? I've got Rockets for my HT. 550s in front, bigfoot center, and 150s for the rears powered by a Yamaha receiver and I have a Rocket sub. Little more musical than the SVS I used to own. However, the SVS was more powerful for HT.

One thing you may consider doing is going used (or is that pre-owned in todays language?) to save yourself some money.

4. RalphM

RalphM Auditioning

Not a bad idea--where do I start looking for "good quality" used equipment? Thanks

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Dude, you are looking at 36000 cubic feet. Nothing that's been mentioned will fill that space. a good size theatre is 1/10th that size.

You'll need big floor standing speakers at all location that can handle LOTS of power,and probably a bunch of 500 WPCchannel amps.

Not to mention 2-3 of SVS's biggest subs.

This is a world I've never seen.

Brent