What's new

Newb w/ questions (1 Viewer)

Mark W.

Auditioning
Hello all, I have been a long time lurker here. My interest began years ago with audio. Then the HT bug bit. I converted my existing system to an HT system by adding an Adcom GSA700. I sold the Adcom last year and I have added a few other items. Some of the gear will certainly date me, but it is all functional and I am quite happy with the system as it is. I am moving into a new home next week and I finally get to have the room I've been waiting years for.

It is 20' x 25' x 8' with a large (8' x 7') opening across one short leg. The opposite short leg is a solid wall, no windows. This solid wall will be the center of the HT. The equipment so far is as follows:

(2x)Rotel - RB-970BX amps (center, surrounds)
Rotel - RB-980BX amp (L/R)
Rotel - RSP980 pre/pro
Adcom - GFT-555 II tuner
Sony - DVP-NS400D dvd/cd
Sony - 36" WEGA tv
Mission - 734 L/R speakers
Mission - 731LE surround speakers
Mission - 73C center speaker
Cable Talk - Talk 3 speaker wire
Audioquest interconnects (most are entry, cheapest product available)

The system will be used for equal parts TV, Movies and Music. My upgrade path at this time, after adding a sub will be to improve the dvd/cd player and then a larger screen, ~50" to 60" in a format yet to be determined.

Currently, I am sub shopping. Movies are broad range for me; action, drama, comedy etc. Music tends to fall into the classic rock, hard rock, older alternative (think 80's U2, Cure, Tears for Fears, INXS, etc)with the occasional jazz and electronic samplings.

I have looked at products from SVS, HSU, Martin Logan, B&W & MK. I love the Martin Logan, but I can't bring myself to spend the cash. I was equally happy with the B&W and MK - both what I feel are high quality well designed products offering a good value. The ability to trial these products from a local dealer before I buy is very appealing to me. However, after researching here and other places, it is obvious that there are alternatives to the locally available higher priced items. So, in a nutshell, I'm posting here for some input on what others think may work in my situation.

More information is better, so here you go:
I like tight, fast, accurate bass. Nothing booooomy.
I would like to spend less than $750.

TIA for your opinions and thoughts.

Mark

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Mark,

I just got a MartinLogan Depth sub for my 2 channel music only system consisting of Magnepan MG1.6Q/R's. This is one great musical sub.

I have a SVS PC-Ultra in my HT system. Both subs are good, SVS = movies, MartinLogan = music!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
David,

I own both a MartinLogan Depth and a SVS PC-Ultra subwoofer. Bottom line, the Depth is more musical.

Depth: (sealed enclosure with three 8" servo controlled drivers)

PC-Ultra: (ported enclosure with one 12" driver)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks