Newb w/ questions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark W., Mar 5, 2005.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Auditioning

Hello all, I have been a long time lurker here. My interest began years ago with audio. Then the HT bug bit. I converted my existing system to an HT system by adding an Adcom GSA700. I sold the Adcom last year and I have added a few other items. Some of the gear will certainly date me, but it is all functional and I am quite happy with the system as it is. I am moving into a new home next week and I finally get to have the room I've been waiting years for.

It is 20' x 25' x 8' with a large (8' x 7') opening across one short leg. The opposite short leg is a solid wall, no windows. This solid wall will be the center of the HT. The equipment so far is as follows:

(2x)Rotel - RB-970BX amps (center, surrounds)
    Rotel - RB-980BX amp (L/R)
    Rotel - RSP980 pre/pro
    Adcom - GFT-555 II tuner
    Sony - DVP-NS400D dvd/cd
    Sony - 36" WEGA tv
    Mission - 734 L/R speakers
    Mission - 731LE surround speakers
    Mission - 73C center speaker
    Cable Talk - Talk 3 speaker wire
    Audioquest interconnects (most are entry, cheapest product available)

The system will be used for equal parts TV, Movies and Music. My upgrade path at this time, after adding a sub will be to improve the dvd/cd player and then a larger screen, ~50" to 60" in a format yet to be determined.

Currently, I am sub shopping. Movies are broad range for me; action, drama, comedy etc. Music tends to fall into the classic rock, hard rock, older alternative (think 80's U2, Cure, Tears for Fears, INXS, etc)with the occasional jazz and electronic samplings.

I have looked at products from SVS, HSU, Martin Logan, B&W & MK. I love the Martin Logan, but I can't bring myself to spend the cash. I was equally happy with the B&W and MK - both what I feel are high quality well designed products offering a good value. The ability to trial these products from a local dealer before I buy is very appealing to me. However, after researching here and other places, it is obvious that there are alternatives to the locally available higher priced items. So, in a nutshell, I'm posting here for some input on what others think may work in my situation.

More information is better, so here you go:
    I like tight, fast, accurate bass. Nothing booooomy.
    I would like to spend less than $750.

TIA for your opinions and thoughts.

Mark

2. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
  3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

see:JoeyR

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Mark,

I just got a MartinLogan Depth sub for my 2 channel music only system consisting of Magnepan MG1.6Q/R's. This is one great musical sub.

I have a SVS PC-Ultra in my HT system. Both subs are good, SVS = movies, MartinLogan = music!!

5. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

How is the SVS deficient for music?

Thanks,
    David

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Hsu STF-3 can be had for about $500

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

8. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

David,

I own both a MartinLogan Depth and a SVS PC-Ultra subwoofer. Bottom line, the Depth is more musical.

Depth: (sealed enclosure with three 8" servo controlled drivers)

PC-Ultra: (ported enclosure with one 12" driver)