What's new

HT Newb Help Request... Budget around $2,000 (1 Viewer)

Hello,

An aspiring geek w/ some questions I was hoping some of you guys could answer. Currently deployed and looking to drop some money on a beginners HTS when I return home.

I currently have a 46" Samsung LED tv w/ NO sound system... yeah i know... I run my HD Cable/DVR, XBOX 360, PS3, and Wii through my TV now and am in need of a beginner's HD receiver and speaker system to compliment the capabilities of my source media. I have about 2,000 as a budget.

Now for the money, I have been told that Klipsch sells good sounding reliable speakers at an affordable price. I was thinking about their HD-1000 HTS 5 channel speaker set and woofer to start w/... and through some research i have learned that Denon makes a good pair w/ klipsch.

Now, my tv has 4 hdmi inputs, and digital optical outputs... My question is... Do I need a receiver that receives and amplifies 1080p video signals if i already have enough inputs in my TV to accomodate all my needs? my main concern is the audio quality... and i've found some cheaper receivers, like the AVR-1610: 5.1 CH A/V HTS by Denon, that seems to meet my needs... Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD... and some upconversion if i need it... The speakers max recommended wattage is 90, and the receiver outputs 75... does that make sense?

In short, i could use a nudge in the right direction if any of you experts wanna step in and help a newb out.

Thank you, and i look forward to anyone's reply!

Cheers

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Now for the money, I have been told that Klipsch sells good sounding reliable speakers at an affordable price. I was thinking about their HD-1000 HTS 5 channel speaker set and woofer to start w/... and through some research i have learned that Denon makes a good pair w/ klipsch.
You need to listen to the speakers and decide for yourself what sounds good and what doesn't. That Klipsch system is O.K. for a consumer level product but with a $2000 budget you can do better. Others to look at are Energy, SVS.com HSU.com Definitive Technology, Infinity, Polk, and many others.

AVR-1610: 5.1 CH A/V HTS by Denon, that seems to meet my needs... Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD... and some upconversion if i need it...
The Denon 1610 is a nice little receiver with most of the features people look for.

Running your equipment thru the receiver makes it easier. The receiver acts as a switcher and you don't have to keep changing the input on the tv. You don't really need a video up-scaler in your price range since your tv will do just as good of a job converting the signal to 1080P.

The speakers max recommended wattage is 90, and the receiver outputs 75... does that make sense?
Don't worry too much about receiver and speaker power ratings. The most important thing to look for is the Ohm rating of the speakers. You can't run 4 Ohm speakers from a receiver that's only rated @ 8 Ohm's. The receiver will eventually go into protect mode.

Speakers and the sub woofer are far more important than the receiver. Spent most of your money their.

Awesome, i'll take a look at those websites and do a little bit more research in the speaker/woofer dept. before i make any decisions on a receiver to pair them with. Thanks again for the help gene... constantly learnin over here!

cheers

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
John

With a $2,000 budget for speakers and a receiver you will be able to purchase much more than an entry level system.

As a general rule you might want to split your budget into $1,500 for speakers and $500 for a receiver give or take a few dollars either way. This kind of budget is going to give you many buying options from many manufactures. With that in mind go out and listen to as many speakers systems that are $1,500 and under and buy those that sounded best to you. Your best way to review speakers is to listen to them. Opinions of salesmen and Audio reviewers should be secondary.

Thanks for the reply CB. I'll definitely consider your advice... as soon as I get home from this rotten desert. For now, I'll continue research so i've got more ammo when I get home.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks