What's new

New to this forum and I had some questions (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Ok well can someone enlighten me real quick on all the standards? Specifically 480p, 720p, and 1080i. So which standards do DVD players support? Do DVD players support all of them? I read a few posts and it seems that HDTV's DO NOT support all of them. I appreciate the little game console FAQ too, that was very informative. If anyone can give me a quick and dirty about which DVD players support which standards and what HDTV's usually support that would be great. One more thing, if an HDTV supports all 3 standards, then would it come with three different component connections for each one? Ok one last one, is this the same with s-video connections or is s-video limited to one standard? Thanks for any help you can give.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
All DVD's support 480i. 480p is becoming more and more the norm for DVD's as well. To date, as far as I know, NO DVD supports anything above 480p -yet.

HDTV is mostly 480p and 1080i. Some support 720p but Im not sure which ones. I know my Toshiba is either 480p or 1080i. For the record, 1080i looks great but I wish I could compare it against 720p.

As for your last question, component inputs are not determined by what outputs the TV has. Most HDTV's come with 2 or 3 component inputs regardless of 480p, 720p or 1080i. S-video is also the same way - output does not determine how many inputs you will have. The set or decoder (ie. Xbox, DVD, PS2, internal line doubler) will determine the picture resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks