What's new

New to Home Theatre, advice/recommendation on a build please! :) (1 Viewer)

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Hey guys new here. I was about 5 minutes from placing an order for the BOSE Acousticmass 16, and stumbled across this forum. The sound system from Bose would have cost me 2000 before tax. I was wondering if someone could steer me in a better direction as far as what to get. From the research I have done Bose is overpriced and there are a lot better set ups out there for equal or less money. I'd love great sound quality and a thumping bass. This will be for my bed room which is about 12 by 14-16 feet. I have a Sony Bravia 50inch TV to go with it along with my PS3. Thanks guys!!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is a bunch of advertisers that support this forum. Axiom and SVS are just a couple that sell speakers. If you want "thumping" bass, then you need change your expectations. A lot of people are disappointed with home theater bass especially if they are coming from a car audio background. Most car bass is bloated with an excess of boost in the 50hz range. That's what gives you a chest thumping feeling. Home theater bass has a flat frequency response (or should) and needs to blend seamlessly in with the main speakers. The sub should never call attention to itself until required in an action scene. No matter what brand of speakers you pick out, please look closely at SVS for a sub. The owners are members of this forum and met helping each other design subs in the DIY section.

You will also need a receiver. There is a whole section dedicated to them. I only look at them if I am ready to upgrade. On my last upgrade I purchases a Pioneer VSX-1014 that had an auto calibration system called MCACC. Other manufacturers have similar systems as well. If you are a novice it is worth it to buy a receiver with this. Proper calibration is key in making inexpensive equipment sound great and expensive equipment sound like it is capable of.

-Robert

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Thank you. So, I was looking at the SVS SBS-01, would that be a good 5.1 system? Also, what kind of receiver should I get?

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
A Yamaha RX-V663 or Onkyo TX-SR606 should be fine for your bedroom. Axiom or SVS or Ascend or AV123.com will make you plenty happy for the speakers. SVS, AV123, hsuresearch.com edesignaudio.com for subs. Elemental Designs provide the biggest bang for the buck but are covered in truck bedliner so they aren't that pretty.

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John

Awesome, so the SVS SBS-01 speakers would be better than the bose? How about the cylinder shaped subs? I really like the way they look, by SVS, are they good?

bevanse

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Bevans
I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but when I used to sell we'd say "all highs no lows, must be Bose." SVS will definitely be better than Bose.

Also, I am a big fan of Harmon Kardon receivers, check them out too.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

SVS is one of the best bang for the buck speaker systems you can buy. Bose is one of the worst bang for the buck systems you can buy. Compare the fact that Bose won't release its performance specifications to the public with the many reviews of SVS products that include specs, performance, etc. Just the incredible customer service from SVS beats Bose by a mile (see if you can e-mail Bose on a weekend night and get an answer right away!).

calvert95

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Calvert
I did a lot of research for my home theater and found this site helpful. One of the testimonials said that his system sounded a lot better than his neighbor who just bought a bose system for over 3500. I bought an in wall and in ceiling 7 .1 surround system from them with 8" woofers and pivoting tweeters and a 12" sub woofer and it all was only $900 with free shipping. I hooked it up with a Onkyo TX-SR605 and a Panasonic AX-200U projector and screen package which was only $1495 and it is an awesome deal for the money. Let me know if you need any more info

Hope this helps.
Bill

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Looks like SVS for speakers and sub, and onyko or denon for the receiver, any clue on which wires i should run?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What type or what brand? Type - whatever is required. To connect your speakers to the receiver you use speaker wire. Home Depot and Lowes sell bulk wire for a good price.

For the sub, you need a sub cable. You can build one using RG-59 or RG-6 if you are running it in the wall or just buy one from Bluejeans Cables or Monoprice.

For HD from the PS3, you can use an HDMI cable to the receiver (if it is equipped with HDMI switching) and then an HDMI cable to the TV. You can also use component video cables for HD or 480p signals. Coax digital and optical for the audio. Again, the companies listed above are very good.

-Robert

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
So, I think I have it figured out.

Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
SVS SBS-01 Speakers
SVS Cylinder PCi PLUS 20-39

What do you guys think? Also what brand wires should I run for my system? Is there a connection for my ipod to my receiver too? Thanks!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Here is a good place to get in-expensive cables/wires. Their 100 feet of 12 gauge speaker wire is only $24.70 plus shipping. And it's currently in stock. At that price, it's often on back-order.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes it is, but just get one 100 ft roll for $24.70. 5000 ft of speaker wire might be a bit much, just to save a few pennies on each one :laugh: . And yes, it would work.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends on what type of connection that you want. Just audio out from your ipod to the receiver? Yes. In fact, with the correct adapter, you can connect an ipod to any receiver that has audio inputs. Do you want to be able to control your ipod with your receiver's remote (change songs, etc?) then you need to read the description of the receiver and see if it has that feature.

This will bug me if you don't answer - why do you want to buy an expensive sound system and listen to crappy sounding, over compressed digital music? How old are you? I ask this because my 13 year old niece can't tell the difference in sound quality between an MP3 played on her cell phone and the same song played on my sound system. She says it is "just a little louder". AAARRRRGGGG!!!! My system has a frequency response of + or - 3db from 20,000hz to 17hz (yes, I measured it).

-Robert

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Thanks Robert, I asked because sometime when I have friends over it is just a convenience. I am 20, so a bit younger yes. I am really interested in the movie viewing aspect of the system. So, as you said since I am a novice, would a reciever like the okyno 606 have the auto calibration? Also what about the pioneer 1018? This is the last piece of equiptment I wil need for my system. Thank you!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reading about the 1018, it has both iPod connectivity and MCACC (auto calibration). Very nice.

Disclaimer - I've been using Pioneer receivers and car head units since the late 1980's so I am a little biased.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks