• Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

DESTROYED BY HOUSE FIRE!!! (1 Viewer)

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Destroyed by Fire
Greetings,

My old A/V setup was lost in a fire a few days ago.

I am interested in building a system around an ONKYO TX-SR875 Receiver, a 52" TV (Sony XBR5 or Samsung), or a state of the art Plasma TV such as the 52" PIONEER ELITE KURO, a hybrid player with HD audio/Blu-ray/HD DVD, a surround sound speaker system (DALI IKON 6 5.1 or similar), a Marantz DV7001 SACD/CD/DVD player or equal, a piece of Light Cherry furniture to place TV on and store components inside - with doors to fight off dust build up. Finally, I would like a DV Recorder with storage built in (250GB).

I need advice on my choices. Are they a good fit? Please make recommendations especially on the Hybrid player or if I should go with just a dedicated Blu-Ray player instead. I know nothing about interconnects, video cables, HDMI 1.3 cables etc. I would prefer not to use Monster Cable this time around. Should I configure the new system with your help and buy via internet or go through local dealers and let them do the install on the system we design here. There are 4 people in my family - 2 adults and twin boys. Should I buy professional Home Theatre seating in a semi circle from Stressless Seating? The prior sofa/loveseat reeks of smoke damage.

Please adopt my cause and help steer me in the right direction. I am a musician so the audio has to be stellar on the new system. My old setup was over 20 years old and I am a neophyte with regards to todays industry standards. All the new products I named were pulled from various web reviews. MY BUDGET IS $15K TO $17K FOR EVERYTHING. Please feel free to amend my original design.

Currently we are using a borrowed TV from my in laws so my kids don't go crazy and drive us crazy as well. Feel free to make as many changes to my initial design as possible to help me reach the current state of the art. A fire is a horrible thing to go through.

Thanks,

Eddie

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not going to make recommendations about individual components. There are sections just for that where you will get better responses. This section is more for getting the room right and setting up the system.

What type of room is this? Dedicated media room or just a living room with a big TV? Size?

You already know enough to skip the Monster cable so that's a start. Seating, that depends on what YOU want. I'm still looking for a love seat with cup holders and foot rests. My wife and I sit close when watching TV and don't want an arm rest between us.

No matter what you buy, to tie everything together, get a Harmony remote control. I recommend the 880 IR or the 890 IR/RF depending on how your equipment is set up. It will simplify even the most complex systems.

-Robert

troy evans

Screenwriter
First off, I hope you and your family are doing allright given your recent loss. Fire damage is a traumatizing thing to go through. The one thing I would recommend is if you don't have any HD DVDs then there's no need to get that player. Just get a Blu-ray player.

mayhem13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
anthony
Yeah-same here-sorry to hear about the fire, obviously you're ok so thats whats important. With that kind of budget you have a lot of options. Here's something to think about. How about self powered mid field studio monitors and a AV processor that can be upgraded as technology advances-say outlaw990. And yes, i agree only blue-ray is needed now with HD DVD dead ro dying.

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Thanks for the replies. I had a difficult time getting site to allow me to post and contacted moderators via PM. I asked them to put this post in the forum that would be the best place to get guidance.

The room is 20'L x 14" W with 8' ceilings. The floor is an open floor design with giant archways separating rooms instead of doors. Only the bathroom and main door are actually doors. There are 2 standard windows on one wal and a giant bay window on the wall in the adjacent room. The home is 100% carpeted except for the bathroom.

I am a musician. The musical part of the system is very important to me. Please keep that in mind.

I WILL purchase a Blu-ray player.

Am I allowed to post this thread at the multiple sites required to help put system together?

This is more of a family room than high end dedicated Home Theater as seen on CRIBS and similar shows. We have a piano in there. Guitar and Bass Amps and drums. Also several different guitars and basses. I plan on shifting the room around so the primary focus is on the new Home theater setup. I will move drums to kids room. Guitars and bass stuff into my bedroom. Piano stays where it is.

A local dealer told me to save my money and buy the 50" non-Elite Kuro plasma 1080P HD TV today and apply savings to source equipment and speakers. He said after a properly done recalibration I would not notice a difference in picture quality. Is this true? I am a neophyte and truly require aid.

If you have friends on this forum that are highly gifted when it comes to putting together a system from scratch - please ask them to visit this post and make recommendations or change everything I listed into a better setup as far as synergy is concerned.

My kids are fine. My wife is fine. I was the only one to get injured - however, I heal quick!

Thank You,

Eddie

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would create a thread in each section giving a little background info and then ask specific questions about the piece of equipment you want. For example, I only go to the receiver section when it is time for me to buy a new receiver so I don't know what is on the market now.

Your room is about the same as my dedicated home theater. But based on your description, I would stay away from plasma TV's. They have glass screens and have reflection problems in rooms with a lot of light. Look at LCD models. They have less of a reflection problem.

I have never heard of the speakers that you mention. Do you have a link? Are you looking for towers or bookshelf models? How about a sub? Are you a bass nut like I am? With an open room, you are not going to get the response down low like in a closed room. If you want massive bass, then you have to compensate and use a larger sub.

-Robert

mayhem13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
anthony
Taking into account you are a musician, as i am is why i mentioned the studio monitor setup-lets say monitors from Genelec,Adam, or Dynauido. The first two have some very nice HT arrays that would outperform most commercial audio systems. I am currently doing a system for a friend using 5 M-audio nearfield monitors and a pair of velodyne subs along with the Outlaw 990 processor.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nearfield monitors are made for listening close to them. Hence the name.

I suggest that you go audition as many speakers as possible. Circuit City, Best Buy, Magnolia Home Theater, Fry's and any local home theater shop you can find. The forums as AV123 have people who will let you into their home for an audition. AV123 makes some great speakers but they are only available internet direct.

-Robert

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Check this out:

Hi everyone,

I spoke with a local dealer several times over the last few days via phone and told him my budget was no more than $17K for everything.

When I got to his store today - the high end listening room was piled high with boxes. The system he tried to sell me with install cost in the mid $30K range. I was really disappointed. He had Thiel CS3.7 speakers hooked up to some exotic stuff - ANTHEM processor, etc. He did not listen to a thing I said prior on the phone.

I'm bummed out.

I'd like to issue a challenge. You know my budget. Design a great sounding A/V system for me and I will pick the winner and send him a great knife as a gift for the effort. I collect knives as a hobby.

PM me with trustworthy internet or phone order dealers who are known for being reputable and their discounting of price.

Does this sound like a fair challenge? I will post pics of the system once installed.

HT seating already taken care of by my wife. She purchased beautiful HT seating by Stressless Seating.

Great Big Thanks!!!

Eddie

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From the ED Home Theater package builder:
7.1 System Contents

A6 - 6T6 - MTM Pair - Please select the main speakers for your 7.1 system
A6 - 5T5 - MTM Single - Please select the center channel speaker for your 7.1 system
5TC - Bookshelf Pair - Please select the rear speakers for your 7.1 system
5TC - Bookshelf Pair - Please select the secondary rear speakers for your 7.1 system
A7 - 450 Subwoofer - Please select the subwoofer for your 7.1 system

Your Current Package Price is: $1768
Package Savings
15%
Regular Price
$2080
Your Package Price
$1768
You Save
$312

You can get similar setups from SVS and AV123. All offer EXCELLENT customer service.

A quality receiver from Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, etc and your source equipment (DVD, cable, satellite, CD, etc) and the appropriate cables are all you need. You don't need installation. You can wire this stuff up in an hour. You also learn how it works. If you have someone do it for you, then you have to call them when something doesn't go right as opposed to troubleshooting it yourself and saving a service call charge.

-Robert

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Spoke with three dealers on phone today and have appointments set up for Saturday.

My wife is insisting that we visit the BOSE store in the local mall. Her co-worker has a 1-2-3 system and swears that it is outstanding. I doubt it very much. However, she is very supportive about the whole HT system set-up and i have to give in and go on the wasted time travel excursion.

Nicest dealer and most informative on phone is a LINN / ARCAM / REL dealer who said he can put together a great system within my budget.

Things are looking up.

I LOVE THE PIONEER KURO PLASMA 50" TV!!!

mayhem13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
anthony
Outlaw audio 990/970 Processor/amp combo-Outlaw Direct
Aperion audio 7.1 HT Speaker System no subs-Aperion Direct
2 SVS PB13ultra subs- SVS direct
Pioneer 50" Kuro Plasma- 6ave.com
Salamander audio system cabinet with fans and Surge/Power conditioner-AudioAdvisor
Pioneer BPD94HD Blue-Ray player-6ave.com
HD cablebox with dvr provided by your cable provider
XBox 360 with Media Extender to integrate to your Media Center PC for audio/video file sharing hi-bit wireless
Harmony Remote Control w/touch screen

All of the above mentioned products were chosen based on award winning reviews and personal experiences as i've auditioned a lot of gear. As for the speakers chosen, i understand how subjective this can be but Aperion has a money back Gaurantee if not satisfied and their systems also come highly regarded and are available in multiple finishes to match any decor-Try the package builder for building your system. SVS is well SVS for subs-nothing in its' price range can compare-Period! Cables and interconnects can be found and several fenders who links are attatched to various forums-Build quality being most important not inflated claims of signal quality. The heart of the system chosen is From Outlaw Audio and the awards and reviews speak for themselves-There are a few Processor/Amp combos available but i like the Balanced Line versions especially to connect to the SVS subs. Please check their site BEFORE you purchase a receiver or other Pre/Pro combo. For the price, IMO they can't be touched. As for Roberts comments about Nearfield monitors, i'm suprised how subjective he was given the size of your room. Most movies are mixed in large surround studios with this setup. Wouldn't you want as close to the original as possible ?? Also many Surround studio monitors have built in features for room mode adjustments and allow you to delete the power amp from your system and run XLR balance lines directly to the speaker. Please if you have the time check out some systems from Genelec, Blue Sky, and Tannoy. Many systems satellites are bi-amped for heavy duty listening levels. You can also integrate them into your music gear for a dual purpose system-Hope i've been some help.

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
That was the exact post I am looking for - Thanks mayhem13!!! Super specific with dealer links and personal advice. Excellent. My time frame is 2-3 weeks and if I select your system I'll send you a top rated knife. One that has made the cover of Blade, Tactical Knives or Knives Illustrated. You'll flip out when you see it. I am a man of my word. Have to set an example for my sons to follow.

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Thanks also Robert J - Sorry I missed your post and responded to mayhem 13 first. Great posts.

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
I think Robert thought that the budget was $1700 not $17000. I guarantee his response would probably be a bit different.

Mayhem13,
That is a nice system you put together for him.

With running this sub setup, I hope you know how to repair drywall cracks! :D

Cheers,
JJ

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
My wife read all the negative reviews about BOSE 123 and Lifestyle system and decided against purchasing BOSE.

Saturday my wife and twin sons went to a dealer to show her for the 1st time the Pioneer 50" KURO Plasma HDTV and to audition speakers. She loves the TV - so case closed that is our purchase.

The speakers that amazed us were the Audio Physic Tempo IV (STEREOPHILE CLASS B FULL RANGE RECOMMENDED COMPONENT) in a cherry finish. Just wonderful. Great low end response on Organ and Synth Bass, smooth vocals across the midrange. A warm inviting speaker that could be listened to for extended periods of time with no fatigue. They handled everything I threw at it. Vladimir Horowitz, Claudio Arrau, Earl Wild, Oscar Peterson, Monk all sounded perfect. Not as overly bright as the Theil's I had auditioned at another dealer that made me want to lower the volume or stop listening altogether. Great soundstaging on Concertos and Orchestral Pieces. No ice pick in the forehead sensation when listening to Danny Gatton on Harlem Nocturne with his aggressive Fender Telecaster. Really a great speaker for the money. I don't know if I'm allowed to post prices so PM me and we'll talk.

Two other speakers that cost considerably less were the REVEL F12 and F32. I could hear strange artifacts during a challenging collection of Bassoon pieces that bothered me. The dealer heard it too and said it was a dissonance in the frequency spectrum. Whatever jargon that is acoustically correct - the Bassoon did not really sound very much like a Bassoon. Back to the Audio Physic Tempo with the Bassoon Cd and - it is sublime. From the deepest register of the Contra-Bassoon to the highest notes on the Bassoon it was breathtaking.
Several other people wandered into this audition room to listen to the music. It sounded that good.

The source equipment for the demo was Classe CDP 102 and CAP 2100.

The system this dealer is thinking about putting together is BDI Lowboy furniture in cherry,
Marantz 6001 ( A WHAT HIFI WINNER), Rotel RSX1067, Sony BluRau Player 300 with version 3.7 software to fix prior slow loading problems, etc. We also talked about using the KEF Wireless surround setup for the rear surround speakers so no wires have to be run under carpet or through baseboard or through attic. It will cut down installation cost and I apply saving elsewhere. Oh, the sub is the B&W PV1 (another WHATHIFI WINNER). Wiring would be by Nordost. I don't know much about the Rotel product and am going to research it.

Anyway that was Saturday's excursion into a super laid back dealership. This is what I pictured going into a High End Dealer would be and feel like.

My kids sat down and listened to everything , behaved and said what sounded good and didn't. Martial Arts lessons pay off for discipline. They know when they are not allowed to act like children and basically stay very focused until I tell them everything's cool and they can act like themselves again - kids.

Thanks,

Eddie

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep. I did leave off a zero when building the system.

Leave money for a sub or a couple of subs. The SVS listed above will complement any system. No matter what the dealer says about internet direct companies, you need to look at SVS. At one time I had four 15" subs that were hand built by SVS's driver designer, Stephen Ponte. Amazing sounding subs.

Internet direct on subs will get you the best value and quality (other than DIY). For example, the $28,000 Krell Master Reference sub is an awsome sub. It does take a lot of money to make a solid aluminum, inert enclosure. But the drivers used in the sub are very similar to the Soundsplinter RLp-15. They were both sourced from TC Sounds in San Diego.

-Robert

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Hello,

Here is what I have planned so far:

Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-110FD 50" Plasma TV

SVS PB Ultra 13 Subwoofer

Integra DTC 9.8 Pre/Pro

Panasonic DMP-BD300 Blu-Ray Player or wait for spec 2 to come out in summer by Sony

Cables by BlueJeanCables

APC or Belkin Power Conditioners

Speakers?
Amps?
Furniture for TV and Components?
Universal Remote?

Forget HT seating. We hired a company to clean carpets and furniture of smoke smell from fire. Everything worked out amazingly well. No smell.

I want the option of being able to switch to just 2 channel stereo with sub for enjoying music only.

Please help fill in the missing pieces of my system.

Finally, I would like a SACD/CD/CDR player for my discs that I started buying again.

Thanks,

Eddie

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's increase the price and quality of the speakers:
Rocket Towers for mains - $1,399
Rocket Signature center channel - $449
Rocket Dipoles for side and rear surrounds - $499 x 2 = $998
They may all be backordered now but the sale prices are great and free shipping!

I'll leave amps and furniture for someone else.

Harmony remote. At least get the 880. If your equipment is behind you, in a cabinet or in another room the 890 (RF to IR) is a better choice. The 1000 is the ultimate in the line. All of the features of the 890 with networking and web surfing built in. I have an 880 in each room with a TV.

The Rockets should be excellent choices for 2 channel listening as well. Read the reviews. I have never seen anything less than glowing. If I didn't build my own speakers, I would use either the Rockets or something from Jim Salk.

-Robert

TwinDad

Agent
Real Name
Eddie
Thank you Robert J for the Rocket Speaker Homework assignment. I'll delve into it tonight when the rest of the family is asleep.

Someone suggested getting 7 Dynaudio Bookshelf speakers on matching Dynaudio stands and using the svs Ultra 13 sub to handle the low end.
The suggestion was emailed to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rferoni
Recent bookmarks