What's new

New system set-up: HDMI issues (1 Viewer)

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I'm upgrading from a much simpler analog setup with many new components. All have HDMI jacks:

SONY KDL-32XBR4 (TV)
Oppo DV-981HD (upconverting Standard DVD Player)
Onkyo TX-SR805 (HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver)
Sanus EFAV-II component rack

Older existing gear:

TiVo Series 2
Klipsch 5.1 speaker system

My question(s):

A. I was planning on hooking the Oppo to the Onkyo receiver by HDMI and then another HDMI from the monitor out to the TV. Does anyone know if there are any "processing" or any other kind of possible issues involved here?

B. The alternative, I think, would be to run the HDMI directly to the TV and also run an optical digital audio feed to the receiver. I guess I would then run another HDMI cable out to the TV for the sound. The SONY does not have an optical digital audio jack "in."

* I would prefer solution #A to keep it simple. However, I wonder if pressed into doing #2, would I have to turn the sound all the way down on the TV everytime I use the Klipsch system through the Onkyo? I wouldn't want the TV's speakers competing/muddying my sound response.

I don't know if either the SONY or Onkyo can selectively "dampen" or disengage the monitor speakers in this kind of set-up.

I also wonder if it's advisable to run additional cable interconnects in parallel in such a set-up. Oppo states this is an alternative. One could run a S-Video cable and I guess in my case an optical digital line for sound along with the HDMI cable out to the receiver.

The reason they give is that if there were any "hand shaking" or other issues with the HDMI working with both components, the alternative cables would be a back-up for "testing" purposes. Any personal experience out there in this area?

Thanks for any advice.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
In an ideal world, option "A" would be best....at least from a cabling standpoint. Not familiar with your AVR but it should just pass through your input signals without modification. Running everything through the receiver would allow you to disable the TV's speakers and have sound provided by your AVR/speaker setup. That said....all you can do is try. When Oppo says that there could be "handshake" issues with HDMI, believe them....operative word being "could".

Good luck

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks