What's new

New Superman and Lois series in Development for the CW (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Superman and Lois panel at DC FanDome virtual event on August 22 has been annouced.

Superman & Lois
2:35PM (Encore at 2:30AM)
WatchVerse – Kandor
It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s Superman & Lois! Join DC Chief Creative Officer/Publisher Jim Lee in a conversation with executive producer/showrunner Todd Helbing and series stars Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch as they discuss the history of Superman from the comics to the screen, what fans can expect from the upcoming series, and the significance of the characters in the world of today. Fans will be encouraged to follow along as Jim Lee shows the panelists how to draw the iconic Superman emblem and then share their own versions. (30 min)

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This website which tracks scheduled filming in Vancouver and around British Columbia is showing "Superman and Lois" is scheduled to begin filming October 13 to May 1, 2021.
Confirmed by Lois herself:

Season 1 Synopsis:
"In SUPERMAN & LOIS, after years of facing megalomaniacal supervillains, monsters wreaking havoc on Metropolis, and alien invaders intent on wiping out the human race, the world’s most famous superhero, The Man of Steel aka Clark Kent (Tyler Hoechlin, “Teen Wolf”) and comic books’ most famous journalist, Lois Lane (Elizabeth Tulloch, “Grimm”), come face to face with one of their greatest challenges ever - dealing with all the stress, pressures and complexities that come with being working parents in today’s society. Complicating the already daunting job of raising two boys, Clark and Lois must also concern themselves with whether or not their sons Jonathan (Jordan Elsass, “Little Fires Everywhere”) and Jordan (Alexander Garfin, “The Peanuts Movie”) could inherit their father’s Kryptonian superpowers as they grow older. Returning to Smallville to handle some Kent family business, Clark and Lois are reacquainted with Lana Lang (Emmanuelle Chriqui, “Entourage”), a local loan officer who also happens to be Clark’s first love, and her Fire Chief husband Kyle Cushing (Erik Valdez, “Graceland”). The adults aren’t the only ones rediscovering old friendships in Smallville as the Kent sons are reacquainted with Lana and Kyle’s rebellious daughter, Sarah (Inde Navarrette, “Wander Darkly”). Of course, there’s never a dull moment in the life of a superhero, especially with Lois’ father, General Samuel Lane (Dylan Walsh, “Nip/Tuck”) looking for Superman to vanquish a villain or save the day at a moment’s notice. Meanwhile, Superman and Lois’ return to idyllic Smallville is set to be upended when a mysterious stranger (Wolé Parks, “All American”) enters their lives. Based on the characters from DC created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, SUPERMAN & LOIS is written and executive produced by Todd Helbing (“The Flash”) and executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Geoff Johns. The series is from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television."

Showrunner Todd Helbing confirmed that Superman will be getting a new suit: "Originally [Hoechlin] came on for the crossovers and that suit wasn’t built to sustain a series. And I think in just everything that we were talking about, we have a fresh slate. ” Helbing said. “There’s going to be a really badass Superman suit in this show that we’re pretty excited about."

Stacey Farber has also joined the show on a recurring basis as Leslie Larr, "the right hand to one of the most influential people on the planet, she’s gone from a young, idealistic dreamer to a hardened, world-worn dream killer. Athletic, strong… and oftentimes heartless."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The new suit:
SupermanAndLois_S01_001.jpg

Definitely an improvement on the suit he wore on "Supergirl", but I wish they'd bring back the yellow belt and red trunks.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Series premiere expanded to fill a 90-minute time slot:
The CW Press Release said:
NEWS FLASH

THE CW NETWORK SETS "SUPER" TUESDAY EVENT WITH ENTIRE NIGHT DEDICATED TO "SUPERMAN & LOIS" ON TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 23

"SUPERMAN & LOIS" EXPANDS TO 90-MINUTE DEBUT AIRING AT 8:00PM ET

BRAND NEW SPECIAL "SUPERMAN & LOIS: LEGACY OF HOPE" TO FOLLOW SERIES DEBUT AT 9:30PM ET

"THE FLASH" PREMIERE MOVES TO TUESDAY, MARCH 2 AT 8:00PM ET​

January 20, 2021 (Burbank, CA) - The CW Network announced today a "Super" Tuesday event on Tuesday, February 23 with the entire night dedicated to its new series SUPERMAN & LOIS. The night of heroics kicks off with an expanded 90-minute series premiere of SUPERMAN & LOIS (8:00-9:30pm ET/PT), immediately followed by a brand new special, SUPERMAN & LOIS: LEGACY OF HOPE (9:30:10:00pm ET/PT).

THE FLASH season premiere will move one week later, now airing Tuesday, March 2 (8:00-9:00pm ET/PT), as SUPERMAN & LOIS shifts to its regularly scheduled time period (9:00-10:00pm ET/PT).

In SUPERMAN & LOIS, after years of facing megalomaniacal supervillains, monsters wreaking havoc on Metropolis, and alien invaders intent on wiping out the human race, the world's most famous superhero, The Man of Steel aka Clark Kent (Tyler Hoechlin, "Teen Wolf") and comic books' most famous journalist, Lois Lane (Elizabeth Tulloch, "Grimm"), come face-to-face with one of their greatest challenges ever - dealing with all the stress, pressures and complexities that come with being working parents in today's society. Complicating the already daunting job of raising two boys, Clark and Lois must also concern themselves with whether or not their sons Jonathan (Jordan Elsass, "Little Fires Everywhere") and Jordan (Alexander Garfin, "The Peanuts Movie") could inherit their father's Kryptonian superpowers as they grow older. Returning to Smallville to handle some Kent family business, Clark and Lois are reacquainted with Lana Lang (Emmanuelle Chriqui, "Entourage"), a local loan officer who also happens to be Clark's first love, and her Fire Chief husband Kyle Cushing (Erik Valdez, "Graceland"). The adults aren't the only ones rediscovering old friendships in Smallville as the Kent sons are reacquainted with Lana and Kyle's rebellious daughter, Sarah (Inde Navarrette, "Wander Darkly"). Of course, there's never a dull moment in the life of a superhero, especially with Lois' father, General Samuel Lane (Dylan Walsh, "Nip/Tuck") looking for Superman to vanquish a villain or save the day at a moment's notice. Meanwhile, Superman and Lois' return to idyllic Smallville is set to be upended when a mysterious stranger (Wolé Parks, "All American") enters their lives. Based on the characters from DC created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, SUPERMAN & LOIS is written and executive produced by Todd Helbing ("The Flash") and executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Geoff Johns. The series is from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Immediately following the series premiere of SUPERMAN & LOIS, The CW takes fan behind the scenes with the brand new special SUPERMAN & LOIS: LEGACY OF HOPE, with sneak peeks and interviews from the cast of the new series, plus special guests discussing the legacy of the Man of Steel.

THE FLASH was originally scheduled to premiere on Tuesday, February 23 (8:00-9:00pm ET/PT) followed by the series premiere of SUPERMAN & LOIS (9:00-10:00pm ET/PT).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There will be a 30 minute Superman history, I guess, following the 90 minute premiere so that is the 2 hours mentioned in the above promo. This pushes "The Flash" season premiere to March 2.
I thought they had delayed the start of "The Flash" to provide a good lead in for "Superman and Lois" but apparently the decided it wasn't necessary.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
First season episode count increased to 15
The CW Press Release said:
THE CW GIVES EARLY RENEWALS TO 12 CURRENT SERIES FOR NEXT SEASON

Network Picks Up “All American,” “Batwoman,” “Charmed,” “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Dynasty,” “The Flash,”
“In The Dark,” “Legacies,” “Nancy Drew,” “Riverdale,” “Roswell, New Mexico” and “Walker” For the 2021-2022
Season

The CW Orders Additional Episodes of the Current Seasons of

Walker” and “Superman & Lois”

February 3, 2021 (Burbank, CA) —The CW Network today renewed 12 of its current scripted series for the 2021-2022 season, including its new breakout hit WALKER, it was announced today by Mark Pedowitz, Chairman and CEO, The CW Network. Additionally, The CW is ordering 5 additional episodes for this season of WALKER, bringing its total episode count for 2020-2021 to 18, and 2 additional episodes of SUPERMAN & LOIS, bringing its total episode count for 2020-2021 to 15.

“Though we’re just a few weeks into the new season, we wanted to get a strategic head start on next season with these early renewals, which allows our production teams to start laying out story arcs and hiring staff, and at the same time, continues to provide us with a strong, stable schedule to build on for next season,” said Pedowitz. “As The CW’s 2020-2021 season kicks into high gear, we are thrilled creatively with the direction of our first new shows out of the gate, WALKER and SUPERMAN & LOIS, that we wanted to order the additional episodes to complete their first seasons, and we are particularly pleased with the huge success of the launch of WALKER, which debuted as our most watched series premiere in 5 years.”

The current series being ordered for the 2021-2022 season include a second season of WALKER, which recently scored The CW’s most watched series premiere in 5 years, as well as ALL AMERICAN (Season 4), BATWOMAN (Season 3), CHARMED (Season 4), DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (Season 7), DYNASTY (Season 5), THE FLASH (Season 8), IN THE DARK (Season 4), LEGACIES (Season 4), NANCY DREW (Season 3), RIVERDALE (Season 6) and ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO (Season 4). Specific premiere dates for each series will be announced at a later time.

Art is available online at http://www.cwtvpr.com, as well as the latest releases,
biographies and other relevant press information for all The CW’s programs

Media Contacts:

Paul Hewitt, 818/977-6171
[email protected]

Nate Kirtman, 818/977-5993
[email protected]

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It was enjoyable. I was surprised they appear to be moving back to Smallville. I guess with Supergirl still going on in a major city, it would be too similar to if it was set in Metropolis. It will be interesting to see how much Metropolis there will be and if that changes once Supergirl finishes its run. You would think that Lois can still do a lot of work remotely.

The reveal at the end of the powered bad guy was surprising and I don't know enough yet.

Edge is clearly going to be a long-running thorn that Lois is going to try to battle somehow.

The children look like typical CW teenagers for the most part. I hope they rise above that.

The show may be trying to do too many different things, but I will be along for the ride.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Very cinematic in appearance (down to the 2:1 aspect ratio), but very somber.
Visually, it reminded me a lot of Superman Returns -- the subdued palette, the faded beauty of that movie's Smallville. It looked way more expensive than any of the other Arrowverse shows, though, even more expensive than the CBS season of "Supergirl".

As bleak as the world of the show is, it feels fitting in some ways: Action Comics #1 was published in June 1938, nearly a decade into the Great Depression. A world where everything's going pretty well doesn't need Superman.

What's interesting to me about this show is that maybe Smallville needs Clark Kent as much as the world needs Superman. If most depictions of Smallville are Bedford Falls, this Smallville feels more like Pottersville. If Clark Kent is George Bailey, he's starting to see what his beloved hometown became without him in it. And even more than "Smallville", this Smallville felt like a real place and a real small town community, where everybody knows everybody. There was a lot about the struggles in this premiere that felt more real world-adjacent than the problems driving most of these shows.

It does introduce interesting continuity wrinkles though: The Kent Farm on "Supergirl" was the same location used by "Smallville". This Kent Farm is completely different, probably both as an aesthetic choice, since the "Smallville" location was a bit too idyllic, and to satisfy the need for a location the production had full access to since those show has more scenes outside around the farm than "Smallville" did. Lois's father is played by a different actor, and his dynamic with Superman is more handler than adversary. At the end of Crisis, the twin boys instead of singular infant was news to Clark. Based on the intro recapping all of the major moments that the Superman myth has to hit was squarely rooted in the new continuity; presumably the other heroes involved in Crisis also eventually internalized the memories from the new continuity even as they remember the pre-Crisis timeline too.

Tyler Hoechlin continues to be terrific as both Clark Kent and Superman. He's exactly who you want him to be, and the reason the show is somewhat hopeful even though the scenario of the pilot is pretty hopeless. There is always the debate: which is the disguise, Clark Kent or Superman? In this iteration, both personas reveal aspects of the real man. Like moments like him proudly sharing that his mother made his first Superman costume just make him as endearing as all get out; he really is the big blue boy scout.

And I really like how Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch play off each other as Clark and Lois. Even though this is a really tough moment for them professionally, financially, and personally, they still feel like a team.

It was enjoyable. I was surprised they appear to be moving back to Smallville. I guess with Supergirl still going on in a major city, it would be too similar to if it was set in Metropolis. It will be interesting to see how much Metropolis there will be and if that changes once Supergirl finishes its run. You would think that Lois can still do a lot of work remotely.
I think part of it is a matter of the show's scale. Unlike National City on "Supergirl" or Central City on "The Flash", where you get the same dozen or so establishing shots and then the same streets of Vancouver over and over again, this is the first time on TV where Metropolis has felt like a genuinely gigantic city. They can either do it occasionally and do it well, or they can do it regularly but take the same shortcuts the other series do.

But it's also an intimate family drama that happens to have the world's most famous superhero as the patriarch, and those stories are easier to tell on a farm in a small Kansas town than in a townhouse in a major city. There's just a whole lot less to do in a place like Smallville, which forces them to engage with each other absent all of the distractions that kept them apart in Metropolis.

Before he was the Arrowverse uberproducer, Greg Berlanti created and served as showrunner on "Everwood", a story about a recently widowed surgeon from the big city moving to a small town to try and heal his relationship with his kids. For long stretches, when Clark wasn't suited up, this felt a lot more like "Everwood" than the other Arrowverse shows.

The reveal at the end of the powered bad guy was surprising and I don't know enough yet.
That obviously wasn't Jon Cryer, so I'm thinking he might be a refugee from one of the Earths that was destroyed during the Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The children look like typical CW teenagers for the most part. I hope they rise above that.
The two teenage boys were the weak link of this premiere for me. A certain amount of angst is normal given the situation, but the one son is the kind of jock that picked on Clark growing up, while the other son feels a bit like a budding serial killer.

I did like the actress playing Lana Lang's daughter though. She felt believable as a small town girl, and she wasn't very emo for having such an obviously troubled home life.

The show may be trying to do too many different things, but I will be along for the ride.
Superman is my very superhero, so I was going to be along for the ride no matter what. But I was really pleased with most of this premiere. It frequently felt on the scale of a motion picture, while telling the kind of small intimate story that you'd never get a feature film budget to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks